What can I expect from an Assemblies of God church service?

R

Raesha

Hello. I'm trying to build up the courage to attend church, and from looking around on a few websites, it seems as though I might fit in quite well with the Assemblies of God - it seems, generally, quite contemporary and forward-thinking whilst still being quite Biblically-oriented? Is this accurate?

What can I expect from start to finish in a stock-standard Assemblies of God service? Should I dress a certain way, speak to certain people and expect certain events? I have not been baptised and only tentatively call myself a Christian -- I'm very nervous.

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,274,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
HI Raesha and welcome to CF! I have visited many AoG churches and they are very mainstream as far as pentecostal churches go. Just dress how you feel comfortable they are fairly relaxed about that. As you enter the church they usually have greeters. Pretty much sit anywhere you want. For the most part the pastor or worship leader will let you know what's going on during the service. Usually they will start out with anouncements them worship, which is ususally contemparary and a hyme or two and them the sermon. That's about it. I hope you enjoy yourself.

Upvote 0

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,409.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Hello. I'm trying to build up the courage to attend church, and from looking around on a few websites, it seems as though I might fit in quite well with the Assemblies of God - it seems, generally, quite contemporary and forward-thinking whilst still being quite Biblically-oriented? Is this accurate?"

Well - I've been a member (and presently a deacon) of the Assemblies of God since 1963, and I'd say what you say is accurate. There are variations from church to church, of course - some are reserved, and some are hog-friendly. Some are VERY contemporary, and some are a bit more traditional -

We're at Church on the Hill Of The Assemblies of God - DeSoto, Texas And today's message by Leroy Bartel (under sermons online) is EXTREMELY good about responding to the Holy Spirit -

But the "normal" (if there is such a thing) service starts with Prayer, then music, then more prayer, Announcements, and an offering, followed by the minister's message, Sometimes an alter call for folks to go forward for prayer, and a dismissal. AT our place "Church on the Hill" in DeSoto, TX) you'd probably get your hand shaken, probably some welcoming conversation. If it's a BIG Church, you might well be "lost in the crowd" (as big churches tend to do).

Casual dress/normal street clothes are just fine, and there'll be some folks in suits (I won't be one of 'em), and most in everyday clothing. I haven't worn a tie in - don't remember.

We don't bite, and tend NOT to swing from the chandeliers - in fact we don't have chandeliers.

Music will PROBABLY be Guitars and drums - soft rock style. Since out associate Pastor is a former Profession R&B musician, we tend to go THAT way in our place.

The pastor and staff can easily answer any questions or concerns you may have, and for us "Baptism" is something that you do after you're completely comfortable with your Christian status.

There are normally attended nurseries if you have smaller children.

Upvote 0