Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Share your favorite Scriptures and share what makes each one special to you.

One Scripture passage and explanation per post please!

I'll go first...

It's a little long, but I find it very beautiful...

I love how he addresses us as strangers in the world. I also love how the foreknowledge of God is mentioned...to me implying that God foreknew those who would choose Light over darkness and predestined them to be His children according to that foreknowledge.

1 Peter 1

1 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ,
To God's elect, strangers in the world, scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia and Bithynia, 2 who have been chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, for obedience to Jesus Christ and sprinkling by his blood: Grace and peace be yours in abundance.

"In His great mercy He has given us a new birth into a living hope" ... it all rests on Jesus the author and finisher of our faith! then it just keeps getting better..."an inheritance that can never perish" kept in heaven for us...Hallejuah!!! and then he adds..."who through faith are shielded by God's power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time" :amen::clap:

3 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4 and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade—kept in heaven for you, 5 who through faith are shielded by God's power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time.

and here a wonderful encouragement...through trials our faith is being refined like gold in the fire and then a wonderful declaration...that through a continual sincere faith, evidenced by our being filled with inexpressible joy we are receiving the salvation of our souls. :amen:

6 In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. 7 These have come so that your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. 8 Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, 9 for you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls.

10 Concerning this salvation, the prophets, who spoke of the grace that was to come to you, searched intently and with the greatest care, 11 trying to find out the time and circumstances to which the Spirit of Christ in them was pointing when he predicted the sufferings of Christ and the glories that would follow. 12 It was revealed to them that they were not serving themselves but you, when they spoke of the things that have now been told you by those who have preached the gospel to you by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven. Even angels long to look into these things.

I especially love this Scripture verse..."set your hope fully on the grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed. :pray:

I also love the use of the word "conform"...it basically means being something you are not! Hallelujah our sonship is not determined through our obedience but through faith!!! :)

13 Therefore, prepare your minds for action; be self-controlled; set your hope fully on the grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed. 14 As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. 15 But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; 16 for it is written: "Be holy, because I am holy."

Here is my favorite part of this Scrripture..."live your lives as strangers here in reverent fear." and then it explains why to do so.

17 Since you call on a Father who judges each man's work impartially, live your lives as strangers here in reverent fear. 18 For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your forefathers, 19 but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect.

20 He was chosen before the creation of the world, but was revealed in these last times for your sake. 21 Through him you believe in God, who raised him from the dead and glorified him, and so your faith and hope are in God.

22 Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for your brothers, love one another deeply, from the heart.

born of imperishable seed!!! hallelujah!!!

23 For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God. 24 For,
"All men are like grass,
and all their glory is like the flowers of the field;
the grass withers and the flowers fall,

25 but the word of the Lord stands forever." And this is the word that was preached to you.

Reactions: nephilimiyr

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Oh this is going to be such a fun thread to write in and read!!! Thanks for making it Twiggy! :thumbsup:

I'm just going to post my favorites one per post and wait to see what others do.

Romans 5:1-2, Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through out Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God.

There is just so much important information in those two verses, they basically say it everything a christian needs to know. When I truely got the understanding of them it did cause me to have one of those little paradigm shifts. ;)

The main point, which is what I often overlooked while reading this is "we have peace with God". Once you truely understand what that is all about, that there is peace between you and God, it is such a freeing revelation! And because of this I was able to finally have peace with myself and I stopped hating myself and beating myself up because of failures in trying to be perfect like He is perfect. And the most wonderful revelation of this is, once you do that and relax and surrender to him, then He is able to start doing the work in you without you always trying to take the reigns out of his hands, where they belong I might add.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Mine is:

Zeph 3:17 The Lord thy God in the midst of thee is mighty. He will save, He will rejoice over thee with joy. He will rest in His love, He will joy over thee with singing. He will rest in His love He will joy over thee with joy.

I like it because it portrays the Lord in His love for us breaking forth in dancing and singing over us.
JesusDancing_jpg.jpg

Upvote 0

ELSHADDAI

Aug 18, 2004
DURBAN SOUTH AFRICA
✟200.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Proverbs 18 v 21 : Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruit.

We sometimes always speak before we think, at times we tend to prophesy over our lives, either positively or negatively and we then wonder why we in some of the situations we find ourselves in. we need to speak life over our lives, and eat the fruit of life and not death. i like to use this scripture a lot especially on my staff at work as they can become very negative about certain things, by speaking life and encouraging them it tendS to motivate them as well, so if some one you know likes to speak death over them selves, speak life and ecourage them to start speaking life and eat the fruit of life in their lives. especially in our perilous time we are living in at the moment, do not look at the negative of the economy but look at the positive as my God will suppy during this times,we as christians need to show the world what we are made up of, SPEAK LIFE AND LIVE LIFE ON PURPOSE.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
1 Cor. 13, and it speaks for itself, "LOVE NEVER FAILS".

I wonder if putting people on "ignore" is LOVE?
It's peace keeping which perserves love ;), which brings me to my next favorite verse.

Matthew 5:9, Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God.

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
1 Cor. 13, and it speaks for itself, "LOVE NEVER FAILS".
One of my favorite passages in all of Scripture...it's been used so much in weddings and sermons that I think it is possible to miss the power of this passage of Scripture and it's ramifications.

Thanks for sharing brother!

Mine is:

Zeph 3:17 The Lord thy God in the midst of thee is mighty. He will save, He will rejoice over thee with joy. He will rest in His love, He will joy over thee with singing. He will rest in His love He will joy over thee with joy.

I like it because it portrays the Lord in His love for us breaking forth in dancing and singing over us.
JesusDancing_jpg.jpg
I love your post psalmist...I must admit though...it would take a little getting used to for me to see Jesus dancing over me...but I do appreciate what youa re saying...it is an intimate and personal thing...that Jesus desires intimacy with us. Great post!

Proverbs 18 v 21 : Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruit.

We sometimes always speak before we think, at times we tend to prophesy over our lives, either positively or negatively and we then wonder why we in some of the situations we find ourselves in. we need to speak life over our lives, and eat the fruit of life and not death. i like to use this scripture a lot especially on my staff at work as they can become very negative about certain things, by speaking life and encouraging them it tendS to motivate them as well, so if some one you know likes to speak death over them selves, speak life and ecourage them to start speaking life and eat the fruit of life in their lives. especially in our perilous time we are living in at the moment, do not look at the negative of the economy but look at the positive as my God will suppy during this times,we as christians need to show the world what we are made up of, SPEAK LIFE AND LIVE LIFE ON PURPOSE.
This is so very true. I need to remember this truth in my own life. Thank you for dahring this.

My signature scripture, Isiah 40:31 because it speaks of Gods provision to carry us, to strenghten us, to protect us, if we will but rest in Him.
I love this...I would also love to hear more on what it means to you to rest in God.

One of my favorities as well. I love how some of the books in the NT open with "peace to you" ... I think we should speak peace into each others lives more often than we do...don't you think. Great post brother!

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Oh this is going to be such a fun thread to write in and read!!! Thanks for making it Twiggy! :thumbsup:

I'm just going to post my favorites one per post and wait to see what others do.

Romans 5:1-2, Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through out Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God.

There is just so much important information in those two verses, they basically say it everything a christian needs to know. When I truely got the understanding of them it did cause me to have one of those little paradigm shifts. ;)

The main point, which is what I often overlooked while reading this is "we have peace with God". Once you truely understand what that is all about, that there is peace between you and God, it is such a freeing revelation! And because of this I was able to finally have peace with myself and I stopped hating myself and beating myself up because of failures in trying to be perfect like He is perfect. And the most wonderful revelation of this is, once you do that and relax and surrender to him, then He is able to start doing the work in you without you always trying to take the reigns out of his hands, where they belong I might add.
I think we would all be better off if we meditated on the truth of this Scripture as we go through the day....I keep hearing..."peace to you" and "be at peace" and "my peace I leave with you"

Oh Lord teach us not to be anxious, but realize we already have everything through our faith in You.

A truly powerful Scripture brother...thank you for sharing!

Upvote 0
C

Cassidy

That was the scripture I was looking for yesterday LOL....thanks for finding it for me. But it isn't my favourite though.

It's peace keeping which perserves love ;), which brings me to my next favorite verse.

Yup! Thank you :)

My favourite scriptures are...

1 Corinthians 15:51

51Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,

52In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
53For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.
54So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.
55O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?
56The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.
57But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. 58Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.

Isaiah 54 v 4

4(G) Surely he has borne our griefs
and carried our sorrows;
yet we esteemed him stricken,
(H) smitten by God, and afflicted.
5(I) But he was wounded for our transgressions;
he was crushed for our iniquities;
upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace,
(J) and with his stripes we ARE healed.

Psalm 55 v 17

17Evening, and morning, and at noon, will I pray, and cry aloud: and he shall hear my voice.
18He hath delivered my soul in peace from the battle that was against me: for there were many with me.

Psalm 30 v 5

For his anger endureth but a moment; in his favour is life: weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning.

Jude 1 v 24

Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That was the scripture I was looking for yesterday LOL....thanks for finding it for me. But it isn't my favourite though.

Yup! Thank you :)

My favourite scriptures are...

51Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,

52In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
53For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.
54So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.
57But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. 58Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.

Isaiah 54 v 4

and carried our sorrows;

Psalm 55 v 17

17Evening, and morning, and at noon, will I pray, and cry aloud: and he shall hear my voice.
18He hath delivered my soul in peace from the battle that was against me: for there were many with me.

Psalm 30 v 5

For his anger endureth but a moment; in his favour is life: weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning.

Jude 1 v 24

Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,

Wonderful Scriptures Cassidy...I was hoping (see the OP) that you would do one Scritpure at a time and share what it is about that Scripture that is special to you.

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'll bet you love this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qVkzdK6N20

Mine is:

JesusDancing_jpg.jpg

Upvote 0
C

Cassidy

Oh sorry Twiggy!

Something to look forward to, knowing that my corruptible flesh full of sin will be changed and made incorruptible thus fulfilling the scriptures about sin not entering the kingdom because my flesh and blood (complete with sin) will not inherit the kingdom.

Isaiah 54 v 4

and carried our sorrows;

Something that has given me comfort and peace over the years. Knowing that I am healed by his stripes.

Psalm 55 v 17

I like it because it's truth. The battle has been won and my soul delivered - period!

Psalm 30 v 5

The second part in particular has given me hope throughout my life. During the death of family members and friends...also the death of my marriage, it gave me hope that joy will come again because it's a promise.

Jude 1 v 24

Anything about the Lord keeping us...fills me with so much hope as I know that I am unable to keep myself. Also makes my salvation about God and everything that Christ does through me...about Him and not me.

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Oh sorry Twiggy!

Something to look forward to, knowing that my corruptible flesh full of sin will be changed and made incorruptible thus fulfilling the scriptures about sin not entering the kingdom because my flesh and blood (complete with sin) will not inherit the kingdom.

Isaiah 54 v 4

and carried our sorrows;

Something that has given me comfort and peace over the years. Knowing that I am healed by his stripes.

Psalm 55 v 17

I like it because it's truth. The battle has been won and my soul delivered - period!

Psalm 30 v 5

The second part in particular has given me hope throughout my life. During the death of family members and friends...also the death of my marriage, it gave me hope that joy will come again because it's a promise.

Jude 1 v 24

Anything about the Lord keeping us...fills me with so much hope as I know that I am unable to keep myself. Also makes my salvation about God and everything that Christ does through me...about Him and not me.

Thank you for sharing Cassidy. :)

Upvote 0

pinetree

Mar 17, 2008
USA
✟13,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ok,what else but Romans for repetitive bro pine..!:thumbsup:

dog_playing_violin.gif

Rom 8:1-2Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, 2because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death.

I love this because it shows me God is in all,even the dark times when HIS waves have come over me..It is not always the devil..

Psalm 42:7
Deep calls to deep
in the roar of your waterfalls;
all your waves and breakers
have swept over me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Deba

The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want (period)
Jul 8, 2007
An American living in Laos
✟13,167.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
My signature is my favorite verse. When I first read it in 2001, it brought such joy to my heart that I made a paper banner. It has over the years come to be the verse that guides me, encourages me and defines the purpose of my life and work.

It causes me to bring many vulnerable people in close to me. (I have big feet.)

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Currently it is Philippians 2.13 ...

For it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.

Because this takes the pressure off of me to constantly work toward pleasing God. He is already doing the work for me and in me.

~I. D. Claire

Walls built to keep others out also keep you in.

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Currently it is Philippians 2.13 ...

For it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.

Because this takes the pressure off of me to constantly work toward pleasing God. He is already doing the work for me and in me.

~I. D. Claire

Walls built to keep others out also keep you in.

I love that!!!

BTW...what are those signature names you put at the end of your posts that keep changing?

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
John 1:12-13, Yet to all who recieved him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God, children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband's will, but born of God.

Because of our belief in Jesus as Christ and recieving him, we have the right to become the sons and daughters of God. Not born of body or soul but of spirit.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.