✟4,386.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
CJ.23 said:
Converted in to US dollars at todays exhange rate that is exactly $6.00 a US gallon. :) Wait till it happens to you chaps! Now you see why you must fight for oil?

Unlike Europe, the US does not impose high taxes on gasoline to encourage conservation and subsidize public transportation. Free market and all that.

Besides, I don't recall the title of this thread being "Let's Debate America's Dependence on Foreign Oil vis-a-vis The Iraq War."

--

Springfield, Illinois: $2.21 on last fill-up.

Upvote 0

Psalms34

◄♫♪♫ תהלים ♫♪♫►
Nov 20, 2004
Southern Calif
✟22,982.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Constitution
Last time I looked it was $2.78 (regular unleaded) in Southern California which usually has the highest prices on the mainland. Last I looked? I still only pay about $6 to fill the tank from reserve to top on my motorcycle.

Upvote 0

CJ.23

Feb 5, 2004
Cotswolds, UK
✟9,832.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
HeyHomie said:
Unlike Europe, the US does not impose high taxes on gasoline to encourage conservation and subsidize public transportation. Free market and all that.

Besides, I don't recall the title of this thread being "Let's Debate America's Dependence on Foreign Oil vis-a-vis The Iraq War."

--

Springfield, Illinois: $2.21 on last fill-up.

Never mentioned Iraq. I made a facetious comment about oil wars and you took me seriously. :) Public transportation on the UK model, a glorious thing, could never work in the USA because of distances involved and the population distibution, hence the car being so vital. I understand why the US needs cheap petrol... and indeed why your economy is partially doctated by geography, as with all countries. :D

Besides digression is fun. :)
cj x

Upvote 0

rosenherman

Sparkly rainbow butterfly kitten
Aug 25, 2004
Right coast
✟12,972.00
Faith
Methodist
Politics
US-Republican
$2.23, Washington, DC area. Way outside Washington, 30 miles out. Closer to the city I've seen it at $2.45.

We bought a 4 WD Ford Escape Hybrid SUV last month. So far we've had 18 mpg to 28.9 mpg (the last two fill-ups) our neighbor has a Toyota Prius and he says they get 46-49 mpg.

Upvote 0

cutekangaroo

Supreme Virtue
Jun 27, 2005
✟7,925.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
CJ.23 said:
I don't have a State, being Danish and living in England. :)
However in Southwest England I just went and looked. It's 86 pence a litre.
US gallons are diffetrent to imperial (originally UK) gallons used by most of the rest of the world - US gallon = 1.2 imperial gallon as I recall. You should really specify US gallons (the correct term I recall) when talking on an international forum! :D :D :D

And if I sound grouchy, (and I'm not, we jsut need to recall the forum is used by many nationalities so some terms are confusing unless defined), that is because 86 pence a litre is about £3.44 a US gallon. Converted in to US dollars at todays exhange rate that is exactly $6.00 a US gallon. :) Wait till it happens to you chaps! Now you see why you must fight for oil? Because what would happen to any US administration which charged US $6 a US gallon? And also see why you can't have anti-global warming initiatives?

Just out of interest, do you still have lead in petrol in the US?

cj x

Gee that's expensive. Anyway, the US mandated that companies remove them or switch to a different resource. I think we're using butane and propane...

You may just type your price with the according symbol and your territory, so we may convert it correctly.

So how long have you guys been paying for high gas prices? 10? 20? 30 years? Makes me wonder why the US are complaining when the rest of the world pays an average of more than twice their price.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cutekangaroo

Supreme Virtue
Jun 27, 2005
✟7,925.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
BeamMeUpScotty said:
I just paid about the equivalent of $5 US per US gallon here in Japan. I have a car and a moped. Which do you think I drive more?

At least I didn't see anyone complaining about the prices. Please don't. It makes USAmericans look like such cry babies.

It goes against the conservatives ;)

They don't like changes, especially if it takes away more of their money.

Upvote 0

CarrieAg93

Senior Veteran
Oct 18, 2004
Texas
✟19,397.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
$2.33 in Weatherford, TX. We were recently on vacation in Sioux City, IA and southern Nebraska and the prices for super unleaded were significantly cheaper than regular. We thought that was stange. Anyone from that part of the country?

Upvote 0

Quantos

Sock ? What Sock
Mar 6, 2005
Earth for now
✟33,990.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
$2.49 Salida, CA

about $12.50 a day for my Drive. (Still cheeper then "mass transit")

EDIT:

ACE Train round trip per day is $14, would still have to drive 30 Miles round trip to/from the Train station, and Have to leave 1-2 Hours earlear, and work a shorter day.

Latest I could leave to go home is 5:30 (Normal day might be as late as 7 if driving)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

billwald

Contributor
Oct 18, 2003
washington state
✟6,386.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Crude is an international commodity thus every refiner pays about the same for crude. The difference in retail cost is mostly taxes.

Boggles my mind that the retail price is so cheap. What other basic type stuff sells for less than the consumer is willing to pay? The pump price would probably have to go over $3 before we change our driving habits and then would probably get a higher MPG vehicle.

Upvote 0
R

Redneck

Quijote said:
I paid $2.39/gallon in NE Wisconsin.....of that $0.48 is Federal and State taxes.... :doh:

In Washington we put an initiative on the ballot to fight back against repressive gas tax for Seattle. :)

It's be really fun to pass an iniative that repeals all but 5 cents of the gas tax and tells the legislature that it cannot be imposed to another 100 years. :D

Then pass an initiative limiting the sales tax to its current level and a state constitutional amendment banning an income tax. :p

Hehe. Dream! :cool:

Upvote 0

TwinCrier

Double Blessed and spreading the gospel
Oct 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟24,768.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Redneck said:
It jumped 25 cents in a day!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
Ha, that's nothing, I took my son to the dentist and one gas station had 2.11, then 90 minutes later on the way home, same station, 2.38.
I filled up today at 2.15 which is the lowest it's been since that day. I live in South Bend, Indiana by the way.

Upvote 0