xpower

Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2014
✟105,003.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Jesus expected his followers to do "Good works". I want to know what all these "Good works" are besides just charity. I want to know what i can do with my little resources.

When you have different people saying different things all the time about what is Good things can get confusing.

MerriestHouse

Site Supporter
Feb 3, 2016
Kentucky
✟45,452.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Jesus expected his followers to do "Good works". I want to know what all these "Good works" are besides just charity. I want to know what i can do with my little resources.

When you have different people saying different things all the time about what is Good things can get confusing.

I think being a good example for others is doing good works. Living a life that is pleasing to God. I don't think God expects great things of us. Galatians 6:10 "So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all men, and especially to those who are of the household of faith." If we have the strength, capability and the resources, that's when we should act if a need arises.

Martin Luther said: "Good works do not make a man good, but a good man does good works." I agree with Martin Luther. I'm not Lutheran, but I like to read about him and others like him.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟922,623.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Part of doing good works is Charity. Giving to the less fortunate, helping the less fortunate, giving your time to others, other than yourself. Always for free and expecting nothing in return.

Loving your neighbor as you love yourself, loving your enemies, and respecting and being kind to humanity as a whole.

Another part of doing good works is, bringing other people to God in the right way. Many Christians fail at this and judge people of other religions in the wrong way or Atheists in the wrong way and only end up doing more harm than good.

Reactions: graceandpeace
Upvote 0

redblue22

You Are Special.
Jan 13, 2012
✟73,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
If I am at the poverty level, it might mean that I have to be a little more creative. I think it is hard to be on the receiving end of good works. There are times I want to feed the hungry, but right now I'm the hungry in need. But then I might be good at hearing people share their thoughts and feelings without judging or feeling the need to advise. I wish I had a list of possibilities. Fighting against stigma comes to mind.

Upvote 0

MerriestHouse

Site Supporter
Feb 3, 2016
Kentucky
✟45,452.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Colossians 3:17 "And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."

Colossians 3:23 "Whatever your task, work heartily, as serving the Lord and not men, 24 knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward; you are serving the Lord Christ."

I cannot say one who preaches a sermon or gives away large amounts of money is doing greater works than one who is preparing food and taking care of their family.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,967.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I'm going to use my example for why the KJV is not a good translation for a modern man to use as a primary one for study (for poetry is a different matter).

If I speak in the tongues of men and angels ....

Of course everyone here recognizes that and remembers the main points of the following verses. But eventually the KJV says something like:

If I give away everything to the poor and give up my body to the flames but have not Charity I gain nothing.

English has changed. Not that long ago charity was love, what C.S. Lewis called disinterested love, not meaning love that does not care, but love that expects nothing in return.

That is something anyone can give it needs no resources. A helping hand or a kind word from one unable to give financially can mean more (no strike that almost always does mean more) than a substantial amount of money given by one who does not care.

But if we must talk about material things remember a cold cup of water is enough.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟922,623.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
If I am at the poverty level, it might mean that I have to be a little more creative. I think it is hard to be on the receiving end of good works. There are times I want to feed the hungry, but right now I'm the hungry in need. But then I might be good at hearing people share their thoughts and feelings without judging or feeling the need to advise. I wish I had a list of possibilities. Fighting against stigma comes to mind.

I also am poor but, not so poor that I cannot feed and clothe myself or provide a roof over my head. I usually have extra money every month and donate money every year.

There are many ways to give to the poor while you're poor yourself. Obviously, if you cannot afford to feed and clothe yourself you cannot give food or money to the less fortunate. Maybe every now and then you could donate clothes that you don't wear anymore or ones that you grew out of. Or toys that you used to own as a kid that you can give to poor children who have nothing. You have internet access and a computer so I'm assuming you aren't super poor and are clothed and have a roof over your head.

So, on the money field you could maybe donate a small portion of what you have left in a year. I personally, usually donate around Christmas. If you're skilled in sewing or building you could make clothes/stuff for the poor as well.

You also, could spend one day a year in soup kitchens volunteering your time.

Basically, whenever you have a dollar or two to spare, give it. Whether you're penniless or not you can still volunteer your time and help others who are going through the exact same thing you are. And when all else fails, you can still treat people with kindness and respect. Respecting the Elderly, Holding doors open for people behind you, helping people who need your help... etc.

Reactions: MerriestHouse
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
2 Timothy 3:15-17 and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. 16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.

At the time that Timothy was a child, the NT hadn't been written yet, so Paul is saying that OT Scriptures, and in specific God's code of conduct in His law is profitable for training in righteousness and equipping us to do every good work. Training in righteousness by faith is what we do not in order to become righteous, but because we have been declared righteous by faith. Good works are anything done by faith in obedience to God's commands.

Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Read the sermon on the mount and Matt 25.

Upvote 0

MerriestHouse

Site Supporter
Feb 3, 2016
Kentucky
✟45,452.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I also am poor but, not so poor that I cannot feed and clothe myself or provide a roof over my head. I usually have extra money every month and donate money every year.

There are many ways to give to the poor while you're poor yourself. Obviously, if you cannot afford to feed and clothe yourself you cannot give food or money to the less fortunate. Maybe every now and then you could donate clothes that you don't wear anymore or ones that you grew out of. Or toys that you used to own as a kid that you can give to poor children who have nothing. You have internet access and a computer so I'm assuming you aren't super poor and are clothed and have a roof over your head.

So, on the money field you could maybe donate a small portion of what you have left in a year. I personally, usually donate around Christmas. If you're skilled in sewing or building you could make clothes/stuff for the poor as well.

You also, could spend one day a year in soup kitchens volunteering your time.

Basically, whenever you have a dollar or two to spare, give it. Whether you're penniless or not you can still volunteer your time and help others who are going through the exact same thing you are. And when all else fails, you can still treat people with kindness and respect. Respecting the Elderly, Holding doors open for people behind you, helping people who need your help... etc.

I thought about this passage when I read this.

Mark 12:42 And a poor widow came, and put in two copper coins, which make a penny. 43 And he called his disciples to him, and said to them, "Truly, I say to you, this poor widow has put in more than all those who are contributing to the treasury. 44 For they all contributed out of their abundance; but she out of her poverty has put in everything she had, her whole living."

Upvote 0