Canada
✟31,014.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The following was taken from an article on www.christianitytoday.com. I have rephrased them into questions.

1) What's something you know God wants you to do (love others, study His Word, pray, etc.) that you're not doing? What's your reason for not doing this?

2) Why do you believe God really loves you and wants the very best for you?

3) Do you think that His desires for you will ultimately bring you the most joy.

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
1) Fasting, quit smoking, doing recovery step work (doing a 4th step). Lack of will power, addiction, distractions, procrastination, depression and just general sloth. Some fear I suppose. Maybe in some ways it can be a lack of faith. If my faith was very strong that these things would change me or that I could do them, I think they might get done faster or more consistently. Or if I had a clearer vision into what was happening as I did them or didn't do them depending. I don't have a good 'reason' per se, other than old nature. On the other hand to put things in perspective, it's a good day if I am sober from drink, drugs, inappropriate contentography and resentment, and I've had some pretty good days lately and haven't had a drink in 3 1/2 years. So there's some stuff that I am doing and I'm happy about it. Pretty sure He is too.

2) Something that didn't love me and want the best for me wouldn't be God.

I John 4:8 "He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love."
I John 4:19 "We love because He first loved us"

It would seem that He is the Author of Love. It is demonstrated in Christ's sacrifice, but talked about more in this chapter. I'm pretty sure He has a better concept of what it (Love) is than I do. I don't think it's possible to create something like that without it being an intimate part of you. How could a creator that knew nothing of Love create things that loved? I don't see how that would be possible. The other negative emotions and sin itself, I see as a natural consequence of a distancing from God, just as things might get increasingly cold and darker the further you moved away from a fire.

3) It depends on how much I allow myself to be transformed by the sacraments and seeking Him. Part of His desire is for that transformation to occur. I know what happens when I move in the opposite direction, that's Hell and insanity. Ultimately, yes. "But seek ye first the kingdom of God". That's difficult to do and it doesn't always feel like Joy, but yes I believe it will be.

Reactions: ZaidaBoBaida
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,548.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
1) What's something you know God wants you to do (love others, study His Word, pray, etc.) that you're not doing? What's your reason for not doing this?

pray more, because I am lazy when it comes to that

2) Why do you believe God really loves you and wants the very best for you?

because I know Him

3) Do you think that His desires for you will ultimately bring you the most joy.

yeppers

Upvote 0

Jesus4Madrid

Orthodox Christian
Jul 21, 2011
✟90,072.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ok, I'm in.

1. Be more humble. Jn 3:30 "He must increase, but I must decrease".

2. Because He has established his credibility in the Word and in the creation we see all around. Then, though, through the death and resurrection of Christ. 1 John 4:10 "This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins."

3. Yes, ultimately I am convinced. But I am ever tempted to put my desires first. Yet, forgetting for a moment about the afterlife, I truly think we are happier now, today, if we follow Him.

Such that heaven begins now.

And never ends.

Upvote 0