• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

What about when you are happy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gwen'sMom

Jun 13, 2006
✟8,656.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
I used to. It was the whole thing about any emotion being too overwhelming for me to handle, I think. :hug::hug:

That makes sense Soulwings. I even get the urge when I am in my counselling sessions and everyone is talking about their problems. Its almost like "yeah, well I cut myself to make my problems go away so there!"

Upvote 0

Soulwings

A true original.
Apr 7, 2003
Northeastern USA.
✟32,889.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
:hug::hug: Yeah. But really, cutting doesn't make your problems go away. It only makes them worse. I know that sometimes it feels like you can't handle life and all of its stresses without cutting, but once you've stopped cutting, you realise that there are less stresses to life than you thought, because cutting itself was a major stressor. It's so weird. ^_^ But anyway, that's a little off-topic.

Upvote 0

0145xyz

Veteran
Aug 31, 2006
Northern Michigan
✟18,259.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
hmmm, maybe because it's a constant in your life?routine is comforting, if your used to cutting a lot even if it was caused by sadness, once you feel happy you might still want to stick to the routine. Subconsiously thinking anyways. I think that's one of the main problems I had when quitting smoking, I wasn't physically addicted, I wasn't even smoking around other smokers, it was just I was so used to smoking that it felt wierd to go a while w/o it. Like, I'd get involved in something and then Id be like, "oh my, it's been _ hours since I've had a smoke, I need to go smoke" even if i wasn't even craving it. (comparison, wasn't needing to cut to help with emotions) this is just a theory

Upvote 0

Finn88

Sep 30, 2006
✟15,458.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
k, growin up was pretty tough for me, as was pretty miserable as a kid. There is a lot of depression in my family, i was bullied at school, then my parents split up-i had a lot to deal with. I moved away from the town where i grew up to stay with my dad and one of my 4 brothers. i got a job, new friends and got involved in loads of really good Christian circles...what i struggle to understand the most about my SI is-why did i only start 1 year after my life changed for the better?

Upvote 0

jesuschickseven

God's Soldier in the U.S. Army
Dec 12, 2005
✟7,768.00
Faith
Christian
That's because often in bad situations your brain takes you into survival mode, and you become numb to emotional pain. You bury it all deep inside of you and it builds up and builds up and comes back to bite you later in life.
Drag your issues out in the open and deal with them so you can move on ;)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.