Were Dinosaur bones planted there by satan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaoschristian

Dec 22, 2005
✟9,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Caliban said:
Does anyone go along with this theology? this was taught at our Sunday School, not necessarily my belief but just curious what you think?.

This is funny, because I've been thinking about this today.

It's been a long, long time since I've heard mention of this, but I certainly do remember being 'exposed' to this way of thinking when I was younger, and encountering it when I was just beginning my first inquiries into evolution and creation.

I wonder, was this part of mainline creationist thinking back then? Or was this a fringe view?

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
chaoschristian said:
I wonder, was this part of mainline creationist thinking back then?

I seriously doubt it. Actually, until the '60's, when Henry Morris (who by the way passed on last Saturday, God rest his soul) wrote The Genesis Flood, YEC was as almost much a fringe view as geocentrism is today.

Upvote 0

Pats

I'll take that comment with a grain of salt
Oct 8, 2004
Arizona, in the Valley of the sun
Visit site
✟14,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
chaoschristian said:
I wonder, was this part of mainline creationist thinking back then?

I seriously hope not!

Satan is guilty of a great many things... but burrying dinosaur bones? That's laughable to me. I think there are better explinations behind marrying together the fossil record and YEC view than this one. ;)

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Presumably by the same logic Satan is responsible for the stars in the sky, the construction of the earth, the sun, ... the twin nested heirarchy in living creations, and all the other evidence against a literal YEC understanding. I.e. Satan is responsible for the whole of creation.

Upvote 0

Pats

Oct 8, 2004
Visit site
✟14,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
ebia said:
Presumably by the same logic Satan is responsible for the stars in the sky, the construction of the earth, the sun, ... the twin nested heirarchy in living creations, and all the other evidence against a literal YEC understanding. I.e. Satan is responsible for the whole of creation.

Blaming Satan or crediting Satan with such things has got to come from some serious misunderstanding of scripture, if it is even Christians spreading such things.

It is not difficult to accept the YEC POV and understand that God did not create things in a state as if they were newborn. Adam was a man, not an infant, and neither was the universe created in infancy, it was created as if it had already been there, in my understanding and view point.

Reactions: TwinCrier
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pats

Oct 8, 2004
Visit site
✟14,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
ebia said:
With history that never happened?

No. When I said that, I was not refering to bones in the ground, so perhaps we are straying off topic. I was responding to :

ebia said:

Adam was a man, not an infant. There were trees that stood as very mature trees and sapplings, there were newborn stars and stars on the verge of super nova. The universe nor the earth nor the animals and people on it were created in infancy. This thinking does not conflict with the YEC POV nor the Scriptures. And it is a very valid explination.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Pats said:
No. When I said that, I was not refering to bones in the ground, so perhaps we are straying off topic. I was responding to :

Adam was a man, not an infant. There were trees that stood as very mature trees and sapplings, there were newborn stars and stars on the verge of super nova. The universe nor the earth nor the animals and people on it were created in infancy. This thinking does not conflict with the YEC POV nor the Scriptures. And it is a very valid explination.
And all those things have a history we can read - the light from stars tells us about the past. The tree rings inside a tree tell a detailed story of the life of that tree so a tree created mature is created with a history that never happened.

Upvote 0

Late_Cretaceous

<font color="#880000" ></font&g
Apr 4, 2002
Visit site
✟18,025.00
Faith
Catholic
ebia said:
And all those things have a history we can read - the light from stars tells us about the past. The tree rings inside a tree tell a detailed story of the life of that tree so a tree created mature is created with a history that never happened.

Thats right, the tree might show years of drought or mild winters that never ever happened.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Pats said:

so did Adam have memories of growing up?
could he have had a scar on his knee from a childhood fall from a tree and the memories of his mom consoling him?

we call them false memories for a reason.
can God lie? is it reasonable from what God has revealed about Himself to build a YECist science on appearances when you know that they are false, are faked, are not real? or at least everything more than 10K years ago, what is that 1-(10k/15B)=99.99993 % of history is faked????
really?
is that a wise way to start building a Christian science, say a theistic alternative geology?

Upvote 0

Pats

Oct 8, 2004
Visit site
✟14,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
rmwilliamsll said:
so did Adam have memories of growing up?
could he have had a scar on his knee from a childhood fall from a tree and the memories of his mom consoling him?

we call them false memories for a reason.
can God lie? is it reasonable from what God has revealed about Himself to build a YECist science on appearances when you know that they are false, are faked, are not real? or at least everything more than 10K years ago, what is that 1-(10k/15B)=99.99993 % of history is faked????
really?
is that a wise way to start building a Christian science, say a theistic alternative geology?

I do not believe that the Bible ever infers Adams had false memories.

It seems odd to me that you'd call a tree created as an adult a "false history," but what of the geneolagies in Genesis? How do they fit into the theory that the creation story is allegorical?

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Pats said:
implies not infers. If you or I infer something from what the bible says then the bible implies that. The bible is not a thinking being so it can't infer anything - inference is making the deduction. (Sorry, but one of my pet annoyances is people mixing up imply and infer).

But back to the point, do you think Adam was created with memories or not? Please consider the implications of your answer, whichever way you go.

It seems odd to me that you'd call a tree created as an adult a "false history," but what of the geneolagies in Genesis? How do they fit into the theory that the creation story is allegorical?
Ancient genealogies exist to make theological and political points, not be be historically accurate. Hence kings like Alexander traced his line back to the "gods". The biblical geneologies make a point about the nature and significance of the people involved - imposing historical accuracy upon them misses their point.

But all this is you avoiding the question - if trees were created with tree rings that tell a history then how do you deal with that? How do you deal with the fact that the universe tells us about a history far older than 6,000 years through tree rings, ice cores, the light from distant stars, and a million and one other ways if that story never happened? Christ spoke this universe and hence that story - did he lie?

Upvote 0

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Pats said:

i have no idea how things in Gen1-5 fits into an allegorical theory, i believe it is historical.

the geneologies follow Adam, therefore they are not in the category of false memories, those would precede Adam's special creation.

but to address what is the omphalos question, if the universe is 10K years old, and we can put together tree rings that apparently go back 12K years. then those before the creation of the universe are equivalent to false memories.

plus the whole problem of how they all lived through a global flood. and didn't even have extra wide growth rings because of all the water.

now could God have created with apparent age?
of course. however it does lead to the extraordinary problems of the "brains in a vat", last thursdayism, decartes demon, morton's demon, etc (terms to google if you wish to follow up)
but most of all, creation with apparent age seems to contradict important revealed attributes of God.
and it doesn't matter to science, it simply is looking at the apparent age, not being able to detect the creation with methodologically naturalistic tools.

so it is bad theology trying to trump good science......

Upvote 0
T

The Lady Kate

Pats said:

But YEC "Science" claims that all of creation has false memories... falsely planted by God.

You see the analogy?

It seems odd to me that you'd call a tree created as an adult a "false history,"

Because that's exactly what it has. If we were to cut down one of these created trees, how many rings would it have?

If it had any rings at all, then it has a false history... falsely planted by God.

but what of the geneolagies in Genesis? How do they fit into the theory that the creation story is allegorical?

Are the geneologies factual, complete, and accurate? Is nothing left out?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.