Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Old article but probably more so true today then it was in 2009.

According to a 2008 Pew Forum survey, 65 percent of us believe that “many religions can lead to eternal life”—including 37 percent of white evangelicals, the group most likely to believe that salvation is theirs alone. Also, the number of people who seek spiritual truth outside church is growing. Thirty percent of Americans call themselves “spiritual, not religious,” according to a 2009 NEWSWEEK Poll, up from 24 percent in 2005. Stephen Prothero, religion professor at Boston University, has long framed the American propensity for “the divine-deli-cafeteria religion” as “very much in the spirit of Hinduism. You’re not picking and choosing from different religions, because they’re all the same,” he says. “It isn’t about orthodoxy. It’s about whatever works. If going to yoga works, great—and if going to Catholic mass works, great. And if going to Catholic mass plus the yoga plus the Buddhist retreat works, that’s great, too.”​

Yours in the Lord,

jm

• Agree
Reactions: zippy2006

Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

According to a 2008 Pew Forum survey, 65 percent of us believe that “many religions can lead to eternal life”—including 37 percent of white evangelicals, the group most likely to believe that salvation is theirs alone. Also, the number of people who seek spiritual truth outside church is growing. Thirty percent of Americans call themselves “spiritual, not religious,” according to a 2009 NEWSWEEK Poll, up from 24 percent in 2005. Stephen Prothero, religion professor at Boston University, has long framed the American propensity for “the divine-deli-cafeteria religion” as “very much in the spirit of Hinduism. You’re not picking and choosing from different religions, because they’re all the same,” he says. “It isn’t about orthodoxy. It’s about whatever works. If going to yoga works, great—and if going to Catholic mass works, great. And if going to Catholic mass plus the yoga plus the Buddhist retreat works, that’s great, too.”​

Yours in the Lord,

jm
Nope, I am not a Hindu and I do not think all religions lead to heaven ... I am much more inclined to think that all roads lead to Rome! :cool:

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Yours in the Lord,

jm

from: Pope’s Q-and-A on the Challenges of Education - ZENIT - English
Pope Francis: "To educate in a Christian way is not only to engage in catechesis: this is one part. It is not only engaging in proselytism – never proselytize in schools! Never!"​

from: Pope Francis Urges Christians to ‘Never Proselytize’
" Pope Francis Urges Christians to ‘Never Proselytize’ "​
"Proselytism — or the attempt to convert others to one’s faith — is different from evangelization, the pope suggested, which is the joyful witness of one’s experience of Christ."​
"“I thank you for that,” he said. “This is not about proselytizingplease, never proselytize! — but of testimony; not of moralism that judges — ‘no, don’t do it’ — but of mercy that embraces; not of external worship, but of lived love.”​

from: Pope Francis condemns ‘serious sin’ of 'proselytism' but has 'no explanation' for vocations crisis - LifeSite

"Consequently, he argued that “proselytism” was the “most serious sin that a missionary can have.”

Francis: "Therefore, the most serious sin that a missionary can have is proselytism. Catholicism is not proselytism."
=========================================================

Normally we might suppose this to mark a huge downturn in Catholic membership if taken to heart by the laity. But I suppose Francis could speaking to some sort of odd Lateran IV "exterminate heretics" context for "evangelism" as IF that were the Catholic understanding of proselytism and that it should be condemned.

In that case I would certainly agree with not doing such things.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
No Christians believe that. Christ settled it when he said, John, 14:6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
You'd need to consider him a liar to believe that.
I think a lot of Christians who believe that have been misinformed.

Blessings

Reactions: Jimmy It
Upvote 0

Jimmy It

Dec 4, 2023
Southwest
✟112,656.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think a lot of Christians who believe that have been misinformed.

Blessings
That was not well written. It should have read, There are no Christians who believe there are many paths to God. Christ removed that option/lie when he stated,
“I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Thanks for having me re-read it. I get in a hurry at times and don't proofread.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
That was not well written. It should have read, There are no Christians who believe there are many paths to God. Christ removed that option/lie when he stated,
“I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Thanks for having me re-read it. I get in a hurry at times and don't proofread.
Amen

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Matt5

Jun 12, 2019
Zürich
✟133,588.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The ideas presented in the OP are based on equality. All religions equal, and hence all gods equal too. Let me show you why belief in equality is going to be a problem.

The Kingdom of God is here on Earth. So how are you going to enter it when Jesus comes?

In order to enter the Kingdom of God, one must navigate a series of harvests (big wars) The rich will not make it through the harvests. And by rich, I mean people from rich lands, like the West.

Next, we have to navigate the fake Jesus (false prophet; fake bridegroom). Here we have to give allegiance to the god of the fake Jesus and take his mark. If all gods are equal, then no problem. Go ahead and take the mark, but if you do then you're not getting into the Kingdom of God.

If you are not Christian, then it is likely that you will take the mark.

The only way to enter the Kingdom of God is to be a Christian. Even being a Christian is not good enough because according to the parable of the wise and foolish virgins, half of them get fooled by the fake bridegroom and take the mark. It is likely that they will believe in equality more than they will believe in the real Jesus.

Upvote 0

Hawkins

Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2005
Canada
✟238,450.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To me, humans seldom know what they are doing. They failed to reckon the legitimate way of conveying truth while using it exclusively on almost everything and on a daily basis.

Isaiah 6:9
And he said, Go, and tell this people, Hear ye indeed, but understand not; and see ye indeed, but perceive not.

One of the characteristics of this way of conveying truth is illustratable though.
If the US government has a crucial message for its citizens, what should it do? It should employ a mass media to broadcast it to all that states, not just California or Texa but all the states. That is, the agent doing the broadcasting must be US-facing.

Similarly, God's message is explicitly enforced by the command that the gospel must be preached to all nations, making it human-facing. Hinduism on the other hand, is like the US government has a crucial message for all its citizen but only annonounces it in Texas. Hindu gods only broadcast in India. They don't know that the legit way is in terms of conveying truths amongst humans.

It is because humans failed to reckon the legit way of conveying truth that Satan can make use of this very human weakness to create lies to fool all mankind.

The famous verse,
2 Corinthians 4:4
The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel that displays the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To me, humans seldom know what they are doing. They failed to reckon the legitimate way of conveying truth while using it exclusively on almost everything and on a daily basis.

Isaiah 6:9
And he said, Go, and tell this people, Hear ye indeed, but understand not; and see ye indeed, but perceive not.

One of the characteristics of this way of conveying truth is illustratable though.
If the US government has a crucial message for its citizens, what should it do? It should employ a mass media to broadcast it to all that states, not just California or Texa but all the states. That is, the agent doing the broadcasting must be US-facing.

Similarly, God's message is explicitly enforced by the command that the gospel must be preached to all nations, making it human-facing. Hinduism on the other hand, is like the US government has a crucial message for all its citizen but only annonounces it in Texas. Hindu gods only broadcast in India. They don't know that the legit way is in terms of conveying truths amongst humans.

It is because humans failed to reckon the legit way of conveying truth that Satan can make use of this very human weakness to create lies to fool all mankind.

The famous verse,
2 Corinthians 4:4
The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel that displays the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

Good Day, Hawkins

Poor Isaiah I am not sure he knew at the start what he signed up for "send me"

Isa 6:8 And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?” Then I said, “Here I am! Send me.” And he said, “Go, and say to this people: “‘Keep on hearing, but do not understand; keep on seeing, but do not perceive.’ Make the heart of this people dull, and their ears heavy, and blind their eyes; lest they see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their hearts, and turn and be healed.” Then I said, “How long, O Lord?” And he said: “Until cities lie waste without inhabitant, and houses without people, and the land is a desolate waste, and the LORD removes people far away, and the forsaken places are many in the midst of the land.

See his Question " how long" I am going to tell them and now I know what the unchangeable purpose is ( to Make hearts dull and blind them) in doing so how long?

Then Jesus in explaining the text says:

Mat 13:10 Then the disciples came and said to him, “Why do you speak to them in parables?” And he answered them, “To you it has been given to know the secrets of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given. For to the one who has, more will be given, and he will have an abundance, but from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away. This is why I speak to them in parables, because seeing they do not see, and hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand. Indeed, in their case the prophecy of Isaiah is fulfilled that says: “‘“You will indeed hear but never understand, and you will indeed see but never perceive.” For this people's heart has grown dull, and with their ears they can barely hear, and their eyes they have closed, lest they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears and understand with their heart and turn, and I would heal them.’ But blessed are your eyes, for they see, and your ears, for they hear. For truly, I say to you, many prophets and righteous people longed to see what you see, and did not see it, and to hear what you hear, and did not hear it.

Mat 13:10 Then the disciples came and said to him, “Why do you speak to them in parables?”

Mat 13:11 And he answered them, “To you it has been given to know the secrets of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given.

The knowledge secrets of the kingdom were given to whom, the apostles. Who gave them the knowledge? God the Father gave them the knowledge.

Flesh and blood has not reveled this but the Father which is in heaven.

Mat 13:12 For to the one who has, more will be given, and he will have an abundance, but from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away.

The one who has “what” will more be given to the measure of abundance?

The one who has not knowledge, what knowledge he has will be taken away. How will it be taken away?

Mat 13:13 This is why I speak to them in parables, because seeing they do not see, and hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand.

Jesus uses the parables “this= verse 12, taking away” to take away knowledge. Why does he do it this way because they do not see, nor hear, nor understand. (confusion)

Mat 13:14 Indeed, in their case the prophecy of Isaiah is fulfilled that says: “‘“You will indeed hear but never understand, and you will indeed see but never perceive.”

In their case “who’s case”? The ones who do not see, hear or understand. They will NEVER understand, nor perceive.

Mat 13:15 For this people's heart has grown dull, and with their ears they can barely hear, and their eyes they have closed, lest they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears and understand with their heart and turn, and I would heal them.’

Lest they should see and hear and understand, Jesus would have to heal them in direct conflict with Isaiah, so he used parables so they could not and would not see, hear or understand.

Their are two clear groups those to whom things are given and others who have not been given.

How long... Until he accomplished all he pleases, in the way he has determined and purposed according to His good pleasure.

In Him,

Bill

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
You eat multiple cows? In a single sitting?

I regret to inform you that such gluttonous cow-eating is contrary not only to Hinduism, but also to Christianity.

Even if it's only sometimes? :(

• Haha
Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0