Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One fact that concerns some Christians and elates some atheists is that 93 percent of the members of the National Academy of Sciences, one of the most elite scientific organizations in the United States, do not believe in God. Atheist Sam Harrissaid, “This suggests that there are few modes of thinking less congenial to religious faith than science is.”

Should Christians be concerned that so many of these intelligent people don’t believe in God? I don’t think so, and here’s why.

First, the National Academy of Sciences represents a small number of scientists. The Academy itself comprises only about 2,000 members, while there are more than 2 million scientists employed in the United States as a whole. This means that the NAS represents only about one tenth of one percent of all scientists in the nation. Using this statistic alone to prove that scientists are overwhelmingly atheists would be inaccurate.

A more accurate description comes from the Pew Research Center, which reported in 2009 that 51 percent of scientists believe that God or some higher power exists, whereas 41 percent of scientists reject both of those concepts. In addition, while only 2 percent of the general population identifies as atheist, 17 percent of scientists identify themselves with that term.

But now we have to consider another important set of factors. Is it science that turns people into atheists? Or is it atheism that turns people into scientists?

Elaine Ecklund’s book Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really Think shows that scientists are more religious than we realize. In the course of her interviews, she found that many scientists reject religion for personal reasons prior to becoming scientists (as opposed to rejecting religion solely on scientific grounds).

It is unfortunate that secular people feel more compelled to study the natural sciences than religious people, because some of our greatest scientific discoveries have come from people of faith. (Gregor Mendel and Fr. Georges Lemaitreinstantly come to mind.)

Indeed, I have the pleasure of having a father-in-law who is a devout Catholic and a literal rocket scientist.

Continued below.

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
One fact that concerns some Christians and elates some atheists is that 93 percent of the members of the National Academy of Sciences, one of the most elite scientific organizations in the United States, do not believe in God. Atheist Sam Harrissaid, “This suggests that there are few modes of thinking less congenial to religious faith than science is.”

Should Christians be concerned that so many of these intelligent people don’t believe in God? I don’t think so, and here’s why.

First, the National Academy of Sciences represents a small number of scientists. The Academy itself comprises only about 2,000 members, while there are more than 2 million scientists employed in the United States as a whole. This means that the NAS represents only about one tenth of one percent of all scientists in the nation. Using this statistic alone to prove that scientists are overwhelmingly atheists would be inaccurate.

A more accurate description comes from the Pew Research Center, which reported in 2009 that 51 percent of scientists believe that God or some higher power exists, whereas 41 percent of scientists reject both of those concepts. In addition, while only 2 percent of the general population identifies as atheist, 17 percent of scientists identify themselves with that term.

But now we have to consider another important set of factors. Is it science that turns people into atheists? Or is it atheism that turns people into scientists?

Elaine Ecklund’s book Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really Think shows that scientists are more religious than we realize. In the course of her interviews, she found that many scientists reject religion for personal reasons prior to becoming scientists (as opposed to rejecting religion solely on scientific grounds).

It is unfortunate that secular people feel more compelled to study the natural sciences than religious people, because some of our greatest scientific discoveries have come from people of faith. (Gregor Mendel and Fr. Georges Lemaitreinstantly come to mind.)

Indeed, I have the pleasure of having a father-in-law who is a devout Catholic and a literal rocket scientist.

Continued below.
That article addresses something that was bothering me for years. It made me feel better. Then there’s all the doctors and nurses who are Catholic. And didn’t a Catholic discover the Big Bang?

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That article addresses something that was bothering me for years. It made me feel better. Then there’s all the doctors and nurses who are Catholic. And didn’t a Catholic discover the Big Bang?
I read he was a Catholic priest. His name was Georges Lemaitre.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married

"After this I looked, and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and before the Lamb. They were wearing white robes and were holding palm branches in their hands." Revelation 7:9

When God says ALL He means ALL. No one is excluded. Just as many men and women of science are saved as non men and women of science. I personally think it is one third but some people believe it is 10%. 10% serve God and represent Him, but a third of all people will be rescued, saved healed and delivered.

When God says many are called but few are chosen He is talking about those who speak for Him and represent God.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Yup! Don't forget about Gregor Mendel who "discovered" genetics. ;)

Reactions: FaithT
Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Gregor Mendel who "discovered" genetics
Actually animal husbandry and breeding goes back to Adam. That is the definition of live stock in Genesis 1:25 comparted to wild animals or beast of the earth. We tend to use the word domesticated for animals and cultivated for plants. Science says nahual selection vs selective breeding. We learn about selective breeding from Jacob also.

Upvote 0
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟258,241.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The Big Bang is a failed theory rife with problems
Genesis tells us that water was created before light and the earth was not formed until the third day. The sun and the stars were formed on the fourth day.

The great light of the first day is still visible, but atheistic scientists do not know what they are looking at. Check out the studies that view the cosmos and then subtract the light from the sun and stars. The cosmos still has a visible glow of unknown source.

Also the fact of water being formed first. Scientists have found water on the Sun, and I believe the moon, mars and Pluto. Atheistic scientists won’t admit it, but that is part of the waters above spoken of in Genesis.

The Big Bang says light was formed first and everything else is subservient to that first light. That is not how God said He made the cosmos
We all know the angel of light that wants light to be first and pay him homage, but God in Gensis says water was created first, then a great light on the morning of the first day, then the firmament to separate the waters on the second day, the Earth on the third day, the Sun and stars on the fourth
It is a philosophical difference that tells us light was created first, not scientific observation. When analyzed properly the data is in line with Genesis. Scientists are atheists and will never look for evidence of God, because they don’t want to find Him. The fool says in his heart there is no God, and if they never look, they will be ever learning but never able to come to the knowledge of the truth

Upvote 0