Kelowna
✟17,849.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Please don't be offended or take this post the wrong way, my intention is genuine and I'm being completely honest and just wanted to post this so that everyone could honestly think about the messahe that Kurt Cobain was trying to portray or get across.

Last edited:

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Nirvana: the final beatitude that transcends suffering, karma, and samsara and is sought especially in Buddhism through the extinction of desire and individual consciousness.

Why are we considering their anti-Christian message?

• Agree
Reactions: Hall
Upvote 0

BlackSabbath

Dec 31, 2017
Kelowna
✟17,849.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Nirvana: the final beatitude that transcends suffering, karma, and samsara and is sought especially in Buddhism through the extinction of desire and individual consciousness.

Why are we considering their anti-Christian message?
Do you really think Kurt Cobain was anti-christian?

Attachments

• 2018-01-16-14-33-59-.jpg
    2018-01-16-14-33-59-.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 58b99b7c8fcda23ab226e6412e30d9d7.jpg
    58b99b7c8fcda23ab226e6412e30d9d7.jpg
    884.5 KB · Views: 40
  • nirvana_kurt_cobain_religion_jesus_christ-1.jpg
    nirvana_kurt_cobain_religion_jesus_christ-1.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 304
  • CobainRomaPavitt1.jpg
    CobainRomaPavitt1.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 51
  • kurt-cobain-religion-jesus-christ-religious.jpg
    kurt-cobain-religion-jesus-christ-religious.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 986
  • 2018-01-16-14-32-54-.jpg
    2018-01-16-14-32-54-.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 47
Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Whether Kurt meant it or not, the line, "Don’t expect me to cry for all the reasons, you had to die. Don’t ever ask your love of me" is very disdainful towards the Father.
Jesus said to His Father, "the blood of bulls and calves you have not desired, but You have prepared a body for Me. In burnt offerings and sin offerings You have taken no pleasure. Then I said, ‘Behold, I have come to do your will, O God.'" Hebrews 10:5-7
Jesus' sacrifice of Himself on the cross is what makes Him worthy to be worshiped as they cry out in Heaven, "Worthy is the Lamb who was slain to receive power and wealth and
wisdom and might and honor and glory and blessing!” Revelation 5:12

It seems to me if that Sunbeam song could posses a Christian message, it would be more like, "Oh God! in mercy please deliver me from such a heartless response to all the thousands of my wretched sins which nailed your Son to that awful cross! He offered Himself on the cross for me, and so will I offer myself to Him as a living sacrifice."

Upvote 0

Babe Ruth

Nov 10, 2017
Southeastern USA
✟55,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

My impression of Cobain, is that he would've resented religious hypocrisy, not religion/Christianity itself.
The resentment of religious hypocrisy is completely understandable. The problem I see, when ppl become deeply cynical critics of religion, that mindset can inadvertently & unfortunately seal themselves off from any religious experience..
Those critics are ultimately left empty..

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My impression of Cobain, is that he would've resented religious hypocrisy, not religion/Christianity itself.
Indeed.

The same could be said of Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull.

Upvote 0

notreligus

Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2006
✟97,792.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson is a deist.

The song "Cross-Eyed Mary" has always bothered me; not because I'm a Mary worshipper but because I feel the song might be Ian's slam against Catholics or Anglicans with how he mocks "Mary" as a prostitute. Of course that should be offensive to all Christians if that's how he characterizes the Lord's mother.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The song "Cross-Eyed Mary" has always bothered me; not because I'm a Mary worshipper but because I feel the song might be Ian's slam against Catholics or Anglicans with how he mocks "Mary" as a prostitute. Of course that should be offensive to all Christians if that's how he characterizes the Lord's mother.
I never took it as referring to THAT Mary, just some school girl with the same name.

Your post is the first time I ever heard it tied to our Lord's Mother.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
The resentment of religious hypocrisy is completely understandable. The problem I see, when ppl become deeply cynical critics of religion, that mindset can inadvertently & unfortunately seal themselves off from any religious experience..
Those critics are ultimately left empty..

All too common now days. Cynicism is an easy trap to fall into.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

notreligus

Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2006
✟97,792.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I never took it as referring to THAT Mary,school girl with the same name.

Your post is the first time I ever heard it tied to our Lord's Mother.
Many of Anderson's songs come with references to the Christian faith (he might prefer to call it "organized religion") so I suspected early on that his Mary character was a reference to the Lord's mother. I read another person's take on the meaning of this song and this person said that old men would go to this Mary so that they might confess their ways to her. It seems like a religious reference to me, even if a vague one, based on Anderson's sentiments.

Upvote 0

OffGrid

Oct 12, 2019
Tomball
✟19,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
to consider his innocence in his art (having studied Kurt cobains life thoroughly as a teenager before I studied the bible 7 times as much) I compare grunge music as a reflection of the Ephesians. I consider our good deeds might as well be filthy rags. I consider he wrote come as you are, which truly is a reference to scripture, not to mention actually seemingly in context. As you don't go to church in a suit to shake peoples hands with only accepting your brothers. Rather you go to church welcoming all with love nomatter their appearance that we all might be healed because we are broken.

Kurt was a Christian for a moment but clearly became scard by the world as an icon. He has worldly ambitions.. One might look at him in a like manner of Saul the first king of Israel who offed himself.

And yet who is to say he even did off himself? Who's to say he didn't repent at the last moment?
Who's to say that Judas Iscariot's spirit and Judas Iscariot's ego/flesh were two different entities?
And who is to say being as big of a figure as Kurt cobain was that he would not be in the resurrection as the righteous and the wicked will be resurrected?
Who's to say his art wasn't just him humbly being honest about his sin, and not trying to hide it, just as Paul embraced the fact he killed Christians?

I am not the judge, Jesus Christ is. Yet i like to think he was pretty honest about his sins, transgressions, and trespasses. Who am I to say though? Clearly he did do some wicked things!! Or maybe he was misunderstood by giving the world what is the worlds. Maybe he had a lack of understanding for what was taking place? Maybe the world made him out to be something he is not? Who is to even say he really is the Kurt Cobain we thought we knew? And last but not least who's to say he isn't still alive when theirs no proof of his real body still around, yet his spirit/breath lives on?

God knows his heart, don't remember him for his wickedness, remember him for the reason God allowed him to even exist to begin with.
Maybe he kept his Christian lyrics mostly for free and private use. Who knows other than God the Father, Jesus Christ, let alone Kurt himself?

• Winner
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

James2000

Feb 1, 2022
Colorado
✟7,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I have always been hesitant to read too much into the lyrics of a musician. Even Cobain mentioned that people shouldn’t read too much into his words.

In my personal view, I really wish he would have stayed as a Christian. Because I am Christian I personally find his death more heartbreaking because he is likely burning in hell, based on my religious beliefs. Of course he could have always became saved immediately before his death, but that seems doubtful. It’s such a loss of creativity either way.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Unless an artist explicitly states they’re referencing religion or personal experiences related to God I don’t assume. I’ve used spiritual verbiage to articulate connections many times. It sounds mystical and might encourage some to infer a lot but the meaning is plain. It’s simply a talent for shaping words to convey a thought.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Ever seen the music video for Heart Shaped Box? It's a good song, but I do not like the video because it's sacrilegious. No judgment on Kurt or his soul.

Upvote 0