Was God's choosing Israel an act of aparteid...

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟64,482.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It seems that the thinking of the modern world, is that God favouring one nation over another is somehow immoral.
I agree the modern thought of many of national divine speciality is bad.

Being an American, that attitude of divine speciality seems to have come across to me about the country of my birth.
I think probably most nations have such aconcept of special blessing of superior favor.

I think having a particular place in God's plan is not the same as what we might think of as "God is on our side."

Under the divided attitudes among Christians runs the demand that all men are equal and all nations are equal before God.
Yes. And there is biblical support for such a hope.
You must know that Paul spoke to that effect in Acts 17. The philosophical Athenians got a message on
the equal status of all men and nations to God.

Acts 17:26-29
This is not the revealed viewpoint we read in Scripture.
I think it depends upon exactly what you mean "all men are eqaul and all nations are equal".
We read in Scripture certainly instances where the axiom is not exactly kept on every level.

In the New Testament there is no ground given if you want to have the church that Christ said He would build, for
unequal status among people based on national origin.

As with the OT covenant so the NT. Some are defeated in this and some overcome in this.
I wish to be an imitator of those who are inheriting the promises, though they be a minority.

That you may not be sluggish, but imitators of those who through faith and long-suffering are inheriting the promises. (Heb. 6:12)

Was God sinning in choosing one nation over another ?
No. I think not at all.

If you be honest about it being "God's chosen people" was something most of us would think to avoid.
I speak of after reading say Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel as to discipline, punishment, and chastizement Jehovah administered to
Israel and Judah. Plus their suffering through history reveals an unenvyable experience of Jews.

Thus the ironic quip of some modern Jews that amounts to something like -
"God's chosen people? Why don't You pick on somebody else?"

If I believed God was capable of sinning I would resort to Atheism or dispair.
As it stands I believe He is the Triune God Who gave us eternal encouragement and good hope (see 2 Thess. 2:17,17)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,562.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
on Christmas day, America supported murder, done by the Jews of Israel, and as Israel blesses that way let them receive the same blessing. ( America is confused, if it thinks it has right to vote on un resolutions, while supplying bombs to kill for Israel who also killed the Lord Jesus Christ.)

Gods judgement stands, Israel can only receive the kind of mercy they have shown they will only ever believe in, and what Christ being born means to them, to kill others born on the same Christmas day.

Psalm 109:17 As he loved cursing, so let it come unto him: as he delighted not in blessing, so let it be far from him.

Mmmm... You don't exactly sound like a "peacemaker" :scratch:

Upvote 0

Peacemaker1

Jul 1, 2023
North
✟17,519.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
knowledge puffs up, charity edifies, israel and america supporting killing is anti charity, antichrist, if israel became believers in christ it would be in the same charity usa shows to israel, in killing with bombs on anyone in your way.

1 Corinthians 8:1
Now as touching things offered unto idols, we know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth.

Upvote 0

Peacemaker1

Jul 1, 2023
North
✟17,519.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mmmm... You don't exactly sound like a "peacemaker" :scratch:
Isaiah 9:7
Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the Lord of hosts will perform this.

Luke 12:51
Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division:

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,562.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 5:9
“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.

Romans 12:18

18 If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.

Romans 14:19
So then let us pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding.

Upvote 0

Peacemaker1

Jul 1, 2023
North
✟17,519.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
regarding israel:

Psalm 28:3 Draw me not away with the wicked, and with the workers of iniquity, which speak peace to their neighbours, but mischief is in their hearts.

Isaiah 59:19 I create the fruit of the lips; Peace, peace to him that is far off, and to him that is near, saith the Lord; and I will heal him.
20 But the wicked are like the troubled sea, when it cannot rest, whose waters cast up mire and dirt.
21 There is no peace, saith my God, to the wicked.

Upvote 0

Stephen3141

Mar 14, 2023
Southwest
✟40,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
It seems that the thinking of the modern world, is that God favouring one nation over another is somehow immoral.

Under the divided attitudes among Christians runs the demand that all men are equal and all nations are equal before God.

This is not the revealed viewpoint we read in Scripture.

This seems to be a major driver of antisemitic sentiment.

Paul addressed this issue in Romans 9

And we read this in Genesis...

12 Now the Lord said to Abram,

“Go from your country,
And from your relatives
And from your father’s house,
To the land which I will show you;
2 And I will make you into a great nation,
And I will bless you,
And make your name great;
And you shall be a blessing;
3 And I will bless those who bless you,
And the one who curses you I will curse.
And in you all the families of the earth will be blessed.”

Was God sinning in choosing one nation over another ?

Is a man carrying apartheid, when he chooses a woman to marry?

Is a math teacher committing apartheid, when he chooses an example of a math operation, to present to the class?

Is someone committing apartheid, when they create a "How To..." video, and post it on Tube?

As the Christian New Testament noted, it was originally God choosing Abram, that is
the guts of the covenant. This is not an act of apartheid. And the New Testament
also confirms that the Church is based on the same type of faith that Abram had
in God (God choosing the Church, is not an act of apartheid).

When God promised to make Abram into a great people, he was not choosing
a race or ethnic group. He was choosing Abram.

The "people of God" has never been an ethnic definition, but those who choose
to have the same faith as Abram had.
---------- ----------

Trying to make God's kindness, into a type of racism, just doesn't work.

9 Does this blessedness apply only to the circumcised, or to the uncircumcised as well? Now we assert that “faith was credited to Abraham as righteousness.” 10 Under what circumstances was it credited? Was he circumcised or not? He was not circumcised, but uncircumcised.
New American Bible, Revised Edition. (Washington, DC: The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, 2011), Ro 4:9–10.

13 It was not through the law that the promise was made to Abraham and his descendants that he would inherit the world, but through the righteousness that comes from faith
New American Bible, Revised Edition. (Washington, DC: The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, 2011), Ro 4:13.

9 After this I had a vision of a great multitude, which no one could count, from every nation, race, people, and tongue. They stood before the throne and before the Lamb, wearing white robes and holding palm branches in their hands. 10
New American Bible, Revised Edition. (Washington, DC: The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, 2011), Re 7:9–10.

Reactions: Carl Emerson
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Was God choosing the Land of Israel for Old Covenant Jews and assisting them to depopulate the Land and act of Apartheid?
Well, let's check what is a common definition of apartheid >

It seems to mean using politics and theory and unequal rights and maybe killing to separate one group of people from others . . . segregation. I would say this is often done because of competition, wanting to keep another group from having what the apartheid people have and don't want to share. And they can hate and kill the ones they consider to be competition.

And, yes, God was arranging to remove certain people from the land, in order to have a place for Israel to have their national land, the Promised Land. So, yes God was separating Jews from people who already had stayed in the area of the land promised to Israel.

So, according to basic definition, yes it was apartheid.

But what matters is the reason. God wanted to have a pure line from Abraham to Jesus, so that as prophesied Jesus would be born of a Jew. In order to have Jews on the planet when Jesus came, He needed to keep Jews in existence so there could be the Jew Mary who gave birth to Jesus. So, He needed to have segregation of Jews from others, enough so there would still be Jews through whom Jesus would come when He did; mixed marriages, for one thing, could have removed pure Jews from the human race so there would be no Jewish line available to bring Jesus.

Also, the people being removed were evil and not repenting.

So, His reason was not meant to say the Jews were superior, but they were His chosen ones through whom Jesus would come. And they were expected to live for God, in order to keep the benefits of being in the Promised Land. Or else, they also could be cut off . . . separated.

And Jesus is the One superior to all. And Jesus loves any and all of us; He so suffered and died for us; so Jesus is not at all conceited, though He is so superior. His way of apartheid . . . segregation . . . is not because of conceit. But, actually, by staying with God in His Holy Spirit and love, this keeps us separate from people who hate and are conceited. And we are willing to adopt anyone who repents and becomes adopted into God's family and kingdom.

But human apartheid can come from human conceit of one group's individuals who feel superior to another group.

So, yes, technically God practiced apartheid, but not how humans practice it.

And if a Jew went against God, He would deal with that Jew. Jews will receive severe punishment, if they reject Jesus > for those who are self-seeking there will be >

"tribulation and anguish, on every soul of man who does evil, of the Jew first and also of the Greek; but glory, honor, and peace to everyone who works what is good, to the Jew first and also to the Greek." (Romans 2:9-10)

If Jews reject Jesus, they are in Satan's kingdom where things can be so unequal and unfair. We see how mothers and fathers even betrayed their own children by saying, "His blood be on us and on our children." (in Matthew 27:25) These included respected Jewish moms and dads; yet, they were able to so hate Jesus and curse their own children with the blood of Christ their Messiah. They became this way, because of their sin and how their sin had them operating in Satan's kingdom of evil, so they could become "worse and worse, deceiving and being deceived" (in 2 Timothy 3:13).

And we see now how Jews without Jesus are living in fear, even though their own writings include >

"You shall not be afraid of the terror by night,
Nor of the arrow that flies by day,"
(Psalm 91:5)

And we have >

"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment." (in 1 John 4:18)

So, right now there are ones without Jesus who are suffering in fear, and they are foolish enough to try to solve their problems without first defeating their own anti-Christ character which keeps them weak so they can keep suffering in the "torment" of their fear.

But David a Jew did not do this when the Amalekites raided Ziklag and took the wives and children of David and his men. 1 Samuel 30. First, David was indeed troubled, but that did not solve the problem or give him wisdom to know what to do. But then David got encouraged in the LORD, and he prayed and found out with God what to do. He did what God said to do, and that worked to get their families back.

But those who live in fear are in a wrong spirit which will have them doing things the wrong way.

But God directed the Jews to stay separate, in the right way, from wrong people. But then the Jews themselves practiced evil against the LORD. So, yes He told them to do what is right . . . including to stay separate from evil people; but there are Jews who practice separation in a self-seeking way; they are so conceited that they consider Jesus to not be good enough for them. But other Jews keep separate from the conceited Jews, by trusting in Christ so they can have love which makes them safe from fear and judgment and makes them all-loving and ready to forgive and adopt any person who trusts in Jesus.

So, yes we now have segregation, from evil people including ones who in conceit judge Jesus to be not good enough for them; but anyone is welcome to repent and join us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums