Voting for Godly People for President or Other Public Office ?

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,976.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A locality in the ball park distance from where I live has added to the government public school calendar Standard School Year Calendar and then select the 2023-24 School Year Calendar Dates near the top to expand. You will then see school holidays for the 4th of July and traditional and Christian like ones, Jewish, American Indian, Catholic, Muslim, Orthodox, African, Lunar New Year, and within the school day LGBTQ pride. There may be other scattered localities like this.
Just because it is on the calendar does not mean they are all equal. When was the last time your local town celebrated a Muslim holiday? Or a Chinese one?

And it is telling that you separate Catholic from Christian faiths.

• Agree
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just remember even though God allows people in authority he always does it for a reason and purpose
This is true but we bicker about it any ways.
But when Hitler took over Germany by the Germans choice God allowed it for a reason
Do you think this had to come about to allow Israel to become a nation? It was all talk until after the atrocities.
The last day. Every moment of history, every president, every Congress is a move to that.
So citizens' reaction toward these and our tribalism has nothing to do with the end. If we all acted like Jesus do you think our country and the world would be what it is today?

Upvote 0

sprknjc

John 15:13
Feb 3, 2024
Northern Virginia outer suburbs
✟6,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟315,079.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Upvote 0

sprknjc

Feb 3, 2024
✟6,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Just remember even though God allows people in authority he always does it for a reason and purpose. Often it is to teach us a lesson and to bring people to him. No man is righteous, no not one. But when Hitler took over Germany by the Germans choice God allowed it for a reason. If we think we KNOW the purpose we are only fooling ourselves.

Remember when the Israelites wanted a king? And they ended up with Saul despite God's warnings. We ended up with Trump then Biden. A republican or a Democrat Congress. If God allows that there is a purpose and reason. It's all leading to something. The end. The coming of the Antichrist. The last day. Every moment of history, every president, every Congress is a move to that. Sometimes it's a call to repentance for a nation. Trump or Biden is what we get until we repent and recognize God as God.
Even John F Kennedy, a better Catholic. I have a couple of God following Catholic friends. What I remember of Kennedy is from history books, as he was some before my time. He started his inauguration paraphraing ask not what your country can do for you, but what can you do to Serve your country. Was Kennedy perfect, no, but then comparing to Biden God letting us experience that.. During Kennedy's shorter time in office, the Supreme Court ruled about prayer in public schools (sad) and Kennedy was assassinated a year later. This another example along the line of history and God involvement as rjs330 above points out.

Fast forward to now, Robert Kennedy in the family line is running as an Independent Presidential candidate in 2024 which he has more following than the typical third party candidate. People respectfully have different views of him and his potential at some point as a leader.

Upvote 0

sprknjc

Feb 3, 2024
✟6,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
A long election season with our country so divided God is letting us experience that. If the general election were held today instead of November, though always the write in option, depending on various polls four candidates have or potentially have more than 10% of the vote - Trump, Biden, Haley, and Kennedy. Each have some connection to God (not talking a very specific religion or denomination) in their own or family background or currently. One important Question in voting is - how much each one sincerely talks the talk as appropriate with the specific and sometimes diverse audience each day and walks the walk doing good for the people and not self serving and power grabbing?

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Even John F Kennedy, a better Catholic. I have a couple of God following Catholic friends. What I remember of Kennedy is from history books, as he was some before my time. He started his inauguration paraphraing ask not what your country can do for you, but what can you do to Serve your country. Was Kennedy perfect, no, but then comparing to Biden God letting us experience that.. During Kennedy's shorter time in office, the Supreme Court ruled about prayer in public schools (sad) and Kennedy was assassinated a year later. This another example along the line of history and God involvement as rjs330 above points out.
Biden's term in office only exceeded Kennedy's around Thanksgiving last year (the 60th anniversary of the "JFK" assassination) and the assassination had nothing to do with the Supreme Court's (correct) school prayer ruling. Oswald was a disillusioned communist who had defected to the USSR and then returned.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Luke 14:28-29
I cannot imagine how much more clearly the Bible would need to be to illustrate that your quote is a metaphor for being a disciple.

I half expect a poster to start saying that Christians need to act more salty due to v.34

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sprknjc

Feb 3, 2024
✟6,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Luke 14:28-29 - Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Won’t you first sit down and estimate the cost to see if you have enough money to complete it? For if you lay the foundation and are not able to finish it, everyone who sees it will ridicule you. NIV Bible Gateway

Is this the right verses referenced in posts above? Confused how it relates to the thread. Myself missing a connection here.

Reactions: rambot
Upvote 0

RoBo1988

Sep 3, 2021
Dayton OH
✟93,733.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I cannot imagine how much more clearly the Bible would need to be to illustrate that your quote is a metaphor for being a disciple.

I half expect a poster to start saying that Christians need to act more salty due to v.34
Jesus used that metaphor because it was a common sense principle that MOST would understand, at least they did when He walked the earth. It's something sorley lacking in Washington DC, that's for certain - common sense.

Reactions: rjs330
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Jesus used that metaphor because it was a common sense principle that MOST would understand, at least they did when He walked the earth. It's something sorley lacking in Washington DC, that's for certain - common sense.
It doesn't help That you're ruled by out of touch millionaires in their 60s.

Luke 14:28-29 - Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Won’t you first sit down and estimate the cost to see if you have enough money to complete it? For if you lay the foundation and are not able to finish it, everyone who sees it will ridicule you. NIV Bible Gateway

Is this the right verses referenced in posts above? Confused how it relates to the thread. Myself missing a connection here.
And then there's that. At BEST that verse is tangentially related. I mean it doesn't talk about responsible use of tax dollars. It doesn't even talk about frugality; it talks about budgetting and those are not the same thing.

WEird inclusion.

Upvote 0

RoBo1988

Sep 3, 2021
Dayton OH
✟93,733.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It doesn't help That you're ruled by out of touch millionaires in their 60s.

I didn't know we were governed by people so young. I was thinking late 70s, early to mid 80s
And then there's that. At BEST that verse is tangentially related. I mean it doesn't talk about responsible use of tax dollars. It doesn't even talk about frugality; it talks about budgetting and those are not the same thing.

WEird inclusion.
Jesus was saying you wouldn't be so foolish as to build without money and resources; you would first "count the cost" . Do you really think anyone in DC besides maybe Thomas Massie, and a handful of others, "counts the cost" of any of their decisions?

Washington DC, the originator of unintended consequences.

Anyway, there's no one currently running that fits the bill as a Christian candidate, IMO.

Upvote 0

sprknjc

Feb 3, 2024
✟6,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
A long election season with our country so divided God is letting us experience that. If the general election were held today instead of November, though always the write in option, depending on various polls four candidates have or potentially have more than 10% of the vote - Trump, Biden, Haley, and Kennedy. Each have some connection to God (not talking a very specific religion or denomination) in their own or family background or currently. One important Question in voting is - how much each one sincerely talks the talk as appropriate with the specific and sometimes diverse audience each day and walks the walk doing good for the people and not self serving and power grabbing?
If you today were only given the four choices Trump, Biden, Haley, or Kennedy to vote for, each currently with 10+% of the vote selected pollsters and no write in allowed, thinking of Romans 13:1, each candidate connected with yet some distanced from God, which would you choose as President or you think God would choose and ordain and why?

I am seeking answer to convince a few close way older Christian friends and relatives not so connected to the Internet, which many of us have a couple or few of these elderly ones in our lives.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟449,551.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you today were only given the four choices Trump, Biden, Haley, or Kennedy to vote for, each currently with 10+% of the vote selected pollsters and no write in allowed, thinking of Romans 13:1, each candidate connected with yet some distanced from God, which would you choose as President or you think God would choose and ordain and why?

I am seeking answer to convince a few close way older Christian friends and relatives not so connected to the Internet, which many of us have a couple or few of these elderly ones in our lives.
I've got different criteria than you as I've stated before, but out of that group:

Haley - she has shown in her actions in SC and in her speeches that she both has a strong support for religious freedom and that she has a focus on policy rather than culture wars. She is the one I would choose, and it isn't even close. She also is former Sikh who converted to Christianity, now Methodist.

Biden - policy is not what I like, but Catholic faith does appear to be important to him. Policies put him far below Haley.

Trump - not only shows minimal if any fruits of the spirit, I have seen more than enough to believe he views support for religion when it is convenient for him. I don't trust him, period.

Kennedy - in fairness, he is here because I know little about him other than his repeated vaccines are bad claims. I haven't taken him seriously, so if it were Kennedy against Trump or Biden only, then I would have to look more closely.

Upvote 0

sprknjc

Feb 3, 2024
✟6,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I've got different criteria than you as I've stated before, but out of that group:

Haley - she has shown in her actions in SC and in her speeches that she both has a strong support for religious freedom and that she has a focus on policy rather than culture wars. She is the one I would choose, and it isn't even close. She also is former Sikh who converted to Christianity, now Methodist.

Biden - policy is not what I like, but Catholic faith does appear to be important to him. Policies put him far below Haley.

Trump - not only shows minimal if any fruits of the spirit, I have seen more than enough to believe he views support for religion when it is convenient for him. I don't trust him, period.

Kennedy - in fairness, he is here because I know little about him other than his repeated vaccines are bad claims. I haven't taken him seriously, so if it were Kennedy against Trump or Biden only, then I would have to look more closely.
Wolfgate, thanks much for your feedback!

Trump - Much agree with you his current state now. His support came from actions when he was President, revising tax code with Congress to increase standard deduction, kept inflation under control, building the border wall maybe a part of immigration issue currently discussed in Congress, and appointing Supreme Court justices with a Moral Compass, NOT since he was no longer President. Trump has had personality issues all his life, military school as a young teen, his lack of patience on the Apprentice TV show, etc. Lost my support as a future candidate.

Biden - Though he goes to worship regularly, and talks the talk, his walks the walk is questionable, his promotion of other than traditional marriage including his political appointees with some power doing some damage in this country not in line with God's thinking 1 Corinthians 6:9-10. It's not in line with traditional Catholic thinking either. Lost my support as a future candidate.

Haley - I follow your thinking. Though she crossed the aisle with Cathryn Jenner, hopefully not much more than an acquaintance. Unsure how much action she will take with immigration, though some work with e-verify she done in SC, unsure what other solutions she will offer. She has fewer issues than and not the investigations like on Biden and Trump. Other question have not yet found answer online about her is whether she goes to a conservative or liberal Methodist church, should make a difference to some. March 5 will tell what support she has and whether she is leading, 14 state primaries that day, in addition to IA(Iowa), NH, NV, VI(Virgin Islands), SC, and MI(chigan) before.

Kennedy - like you, have not researched him enough. In one poll without Trump running, he had 18% voting for him. Many others like us have yet not researched him enough either, and more could vote for him depending on their research, besides who is left after the Republican convention July 15-18. He has name recognition, similar to the two Bushes.

Some of my research came from Wikipedia, candidate websites, and other scattered articles.

Upvote 0

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟152,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I would only consider Biden or Haley in this hypothetical. The other two I would not consider for president at all. I'm independent and Haley seems like a rational choice given the limitations of the other three. I am shocked no other democrats have yet entered the fray. Something seems amiss there.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,803.00
Faith
Pentecostal
This is true but we bicker about it any ways.
Lol, that's true.
Do you think this had to come about to allow Israel to become a nation? It was all talk until after the atrocities.
I do think so. I think God allowed it because he knew it was going to provide a pathway for Israel.
So citizens' reaction toward these and our tribalism has nothing to do with the end. If we all acted like Jesus do you think our country and the world would be what it is today?
Well that's a lot of pie in the sky and speculation over what is not and cannot be. We are all NEVER going to act like Jesus while in this earth. Otherwise why bother with heaven and the transformation of our mind and bodies? This is why we NEED a savior because it's an impossibility right now.

I mean look at the early church. They had all kinds of divisions and they were a lot closer to Christ than we are and had the apostles with them.

The scriptures are pretty clear on the hatred toward Christians. Eventually it will lead to executions. We won't believe in the anti-Christ while everyone else does. We won't follow his beliefs and doctrines which are going to going directly against God's word.

No we are not perfect and never will be. But that's why we trust in Christ for our salvation and no ourselves.

Upvote 0