Voting for Godly People for President or Other Public Office ?

sprknjc

John 15:13
Feb 3, 2024
Northern Virginia outer suburbs
✟6,944.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Wolfgate said - We live in a country that consists of a wide range of people, only some of whom are Christians. Our government was not designed to be biased towards any particular religion. It also was not designed to be devoid of religion. AND

Wolfgate said - Sprknjc - that is a nice summary of statistics and some history. But you said it was in reply to me, and I cannot tell what point you were trying to make related to my post.

Though I followed well much of what you said, just provided reality statistics the great Christian influence has in politics, which is a not a bad thing to focus on God, even with the separation of church and state doctrine. Several faiths look to the same God as in very beginning of Genesis, Christian, Catholic Jewish, Muslim. Even Muslims will agree marriage is one man, one woman, and binding of flesh outside that is wrong.

Upvote 0

sprknjc

Feb 3, 2024
✟6,944.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
There was a movie Go'd's Not Dead, which continues with the lyrics He is Surely Alive. Its shows a college student shaing his faith in a diverse country and classroom whether Muslim, Buddhist, or Atheist with some success and the power of God.

As an aside, one of my life's positive whoah moments, was meeting the Neesboys who sang those lyrics live at a local concert and afterwards, through a friend of a friend, helping as a Servant for an hour or more taking their huge stage set apart. At the time, they were a God like role model, but have been remiss following them in recent years. Absolutely perfect, not, but closer. Changing back to politics, good luck finding bad on Mike Pence on the internet, did fairly deep search, even January 6 he did right in the eyes of God in IMO or IMB (in my belief) and those of others.

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟449,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wolfgate said - We live in a country that consists of a wide range of people, only some of whom are Christians. Our government was not designed to be biased towards any particular religion. It also was not designed to be devoid of religion. AND

Wolfgate said - Sprknjc - that is a nice summary of statistics and some history. But you said it was in reply to me, and I cannot tell what point you were trying to make related to my post.

Though I followed well much of what you said, just provided reality statistics the great Christian influence has in politics, which is a not a bad thing to focus on God, even with the separation of church and state doctrine. Several faiths look to the same God as in very beginning of Genesis, Christian, Catholic Jewish, Muslim. Even Muslims will agree marriage is one man, one woman, and binding of flesh outside that is wrong.
Thank you. I understand what you were saying now.

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Paulos23 - There is a reason for the separation of religion and government. I know the OP makes it seam harmless, until I remember what some Christians post here. Then I don't want them anywhere near a public office.​

There is a good Wikipedia article on this Separation of church and state in the United States - Wikipedia . In it,
1) "Thomas Jefferson wrote 'I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or **prohibiting the free exercise thereof**" This is also in the 1st Amendment of the Bill of Rights, and sadly the prohibitions today are growing.
2) "Supreme Court in Zorach v. Clauson (1952) upheld accommodationism, holding that the nation's "institutions presuppose a Supreme Being" and that government recognition of God does not constitute the establishment of a state church as the Constitution's authors intended to prohibit."
3) According to another Wikipedia article "Christianity is the most prevalent religion in the United States. Estimates from 2021 suggest that of the entire U.S. population (332 million) about 63% is Christian (210 million)."

This is for good thought and discussion. I agree different belief systems can be basically shared, but none should be pushed down people's throats, which this nation in a downward spiral with the Freedom from Religion Foundation and the ACLU pushing secular humanism. Like in the Old Testament, denying God did not bode well for lot of people, such as the Great Flood and Noah's Ark and fire burning Sodom and Gomorrah in Genesis and the invasion by Babylon later on in the Old Testament with people doing evil in eyes of God, part of the Old Testament punishment and restoration motif. More recently, 9-11-2001 changed this nation for a while. With politicians today, a simple prayer which one can choose to or choose not to participate is one matter, but giving a long sermon in the public square by a politician may be out of order, depending on the specific audience. If they only remember Ephesians 4:29 when they have a large and much diverse audience.

Would you rather have a politician who mostly does good as a True Servant of the people and not widely share their religion except when appropriate In Iowa Home Stretch, DeSantis Focuses on Faith, Family and ‘Culture of Life’ , but same leader does not go about sharing his religion to more secular audiences, with actions speaking louder than words OR one seeking his or her interests primarily and not of others ?
Just because Christians out number all other faiths doesn't make it good for it to rule with. And you are making the assumption that all Christians agree with pints if faith with each other, and that is not the case. One of the reasons they put separation if Church and State is that preachers where in jail for preaching the wrong version of Christianity, as well as required attendance to church. This was America before the Revolution. Add to that the religious wars that happen in Europe you can under stand why the Founding Fathers wanted to separate religion from government.

And you are ignoring that there is no guarantee that any follower of your God will be a good person and apply good government to the country. I have seen plenty of Christians get scammed by people that pretend to be of their faith

Upvote 0

RoBo1988

Sep 3, 2021
Dayton OH
✟93,633.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Our constitution was intended to be for a self governing people. People who would take responsibility for their actions, or lack of them.

If that requires a "higher power" to do so, fine. But the federal government bending over backwards for every grievance, as happens today, was never the intention

"Our Constitution was made for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams

Reactions: sprknjc
Upvote 0

sprknjc

Feb 3, 2024
✟6,944.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Just because Christians out number all other faiths doesn't make it good for it to rule with. And you are making the assumption that all Christians agree with pints if faith with each other, and that is not the case. One of the reasons they put separation if Church and State is that preachers where in jail for preaching the wrong version of Christianity, as well as required attendance to church. This was America before the Revolution. Add to that the religious wars that happen in Europe you can under stand why the Founding Fathers wanted to separate religion from government.

And you are ignoring that there is no guarantee that any follower of your God will be a good person and apply good government to the country. I have seen plenty of Christians get scammed by people that pretend to be of their faith
The danger we face itoday is the faith of secular humanism pushed by the Freedom From Religion Foundation, ACLU, and some elected politicians. 'Ok, lets kick God out of the public square, because He is offensive to a minority', some say, and many Christians including some in leadership roles fall over backwards with threats of costly lawsuits. For those that go to court, the conservative law firm Alliance Defending Freedom often gets involved and more often wins the cases successfully based on the religion clause of the 1st amendment. Reninds me of a movie Simon Birch in 1998, where the principal of the public school decided to put on a version of the Nativity play, totally replacing Christ with science and secularism. The Christian kids in the school who were the play actors, early in the community play showing, decided to stand up on the spur of moment to proceed with the traditional faith based version of the story. After seeing the movie, really thought we the many of the people don't want to go secular say 50 years in the future if not sooner, similar to George Orwell novel 1984.

Several faiths believe in God, not just one religion, and many in Congress respect the differing views. We need, including by voting them in, leaders of faith to stand up.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The danger we face itoday is the faith of secular humanism pushed by the Freedom From Religion Foundation, ACLU, and some elected politicians. 'Ok, lets kick God out of the public square, because He is offensive to a minority', some say, and many Christians including some in leadership roles fall over backwards with threats of costly lawsuits. For those that go to court, the conservative law firm Alliance Defending Freedom often gets involved and more often wins the cases successfully based on the religion clause of the 1st amendment. Reninds me of a movie Simon Birch in 1998, where the principal of the public school decided to put on a version of the Nativity play, totally replacing Christ with science and secularism. The Christian kids in the school who were the play actors, early in the community play showing, decided to stand up on the spur of moment to proceed with the traditional faith based version of the story. After seeing the movie, really thought we the many of the people don't want to go secular say 50 years in the future if not sooner, similar to George Orwell novel 1984.

Several faiths believe in God, not just one religion, and many in Congress respect the differing views. We need, including by voting them in, leaders of faith to stand up.
Nice to see the ACLU and FFRF get some airtime as boogie men, immigrants and drag queens get all the vitriol these days.

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I have no problem with removing religion from the public square as long as people can still celebrate their religion on their own. I never understood why you have to have Christian holidays and no other religions celebrated by government entities. It creates the impression that Christianity is supported by the government. Is that what you want?

• Agree
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

RoBo1988

Sep 3, 2021
Dayton OH
✟93,633.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I never understood why you have to have Christian holidays and no other religions celebrated by government entities. It creates the impression that Christianity is supported by the government. Is that what you want?
I'm cool with "Christmas Sunday" instead of the 25th. "Thanksgiving Sunday" too. I'm sure the retailers would either howl or adapt, since "black Friday" and day after Christmas sales would be out the window.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sprknjc

Feb 3, 2024
✟6,944.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have no problem with removing religion from the public square as long as people can still celebrate their religion on their own. I never understood why you have to have Christian holidays and no other religions celebrated by government entities. It creates the impression that Christianity is supported by the government. Is that what you want?
A locality in the ball park distance from where I live has added to the government public school calendar Standard School Year Calendar and then select the 2023-24 School Year Calendar Dates near the top to expand. You will then see school holidays for the 4th of July and traditional and Christian like ones, Jewish, American Indian, Catholic, Muslim, Orthodox, African, Lunar New Year, and within the school day LGBTQ pride. There may be other scattered localities like this.

• Informative
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

sprknjc

Feb 3, 2024
✟6,944.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Isn't Biden a Catholic?
Yes, he claims being Catholic. But many question whether he talks the talk and walks the walk in his actions. Living within an hour of DC, I hear too much federal news, but he is the most pro LGBTQ president. Heads of HHS, DOT, and his White House press secretary are of or support this lifestyle. Christian acceptance love the sinner, but hate the sin and promoting of it by leaders, government or corporate.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,115.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A Christian friend recently suggested to me we need more Godly people to serve in public office. Question - Who is your choice be for US President in this challenging election season and good Godly reasons why?
Your friend is wrong. To say that we need more Godly people in office, how has that been working for the last 30 years? Unless your view is that Christians are good and the rest are bad. That is plain hogwash! I've known a lot of people both believers and non and there's good and bad in both, some are more selfish than others. I feel a lot of the hate in our country is due to Christians when they virtue signal about social issues.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,115.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, he claims being Catholic. But many question whether he talks the talk and walks the walk in his actions. Living within an hour of DC, I hear too much federal news, but he is the most pro LGBTQ president. Heads of HHS, DOT, and his White House press secretary are of or support this lifestyle. Christian acceptance love the sinner, but hate the sin and promoting of it by leaders, government or corporate.
Trump claims to be a Christian also.

Upvote 0

sprknjc

Feb 3, 2024
✟6,944.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Your friend is wrong. To say that we need more Godly people in office, how has that been working for the last 30 years? Unless your view is that Christians are good and the rest are bad. That is plain hogwash! I've known a lot of people both believers and non and there's good and bad in both, some are more selfish than others. I feel a lot of the hate in our country is due to Christians when they virtue signal about social issues.
No one is 100% percent perfect. Mike Pence on the God like qualities in my OP comes close 90+ out of 100 IMO. So close to perfect like Pence does not get wide voter acceptance in a diverse nation. So we are left with other choices.

One can be God like, but a faith other than Protestant like Catholic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Ron Paul (Senator Rand's Dad) he's not running.
He would be much more frugal with your tax dollars, and would not seek out monsters to destroy with our military.
Sorry? Where are Jesus' lessons on frugality, let alone with tax dollars?

Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Why would you vote for any republican?

I mean really; if you're looking for good works in politics you're pretty much out of luck. Though I guess it depends on what you are willing to overlook

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,567.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Just remember even though God allows people in authority he always does it for a reason and purpose. Often it is to teach us a lesson and to bring people to him. No man is righteous, no not one. But when Hitler took over Germany by the Germans choice God allowed it for a reason. If we think we KNOW the purpose we are only fooling ourselves.

Remember when the Israelites wanted a king? And they ended up with Saul despite God's warnings. We ended up with Trump then Biden. A republican or a Democrat Congress. If God allows that there is a purpose and reason. It's all leading to something. The end. The coming of the Antichrist. The last day. Every moment of history, every president, every Congress is a move to that. Sometimes it's a call to repentance for a nation. Trump or Biden is what we get until we repent and recognize God as God.

Reactions: sprknjc
Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,115.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No one is 100% percent perfect. Mike Pence on the God like qualities in my OP comes close 90+ out of 100 IMO. So close to perfect like Pence does not get wide voter acceptance in a diverse nation. So we are left with other choices.

One can be God like, but a faith other than Protestant like Catholic.
Christian tribalism and that's your opinion and perception about Pence. What does believing in a creator have to do with someone's character? The problem here is judgmentalism you are comparing faiths. lol Do you not see the plank in your eye?

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,115.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why would you vote for any republican?

I mean really; if you're looking for good works in politics you're pretty much out of luck. Though I guess it depends on what you are willing to overlook
It goes both ways!

Upvote 0