• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Voice...*may trig*

Status
Not open for further replies.

pockleberry

Apr 10, 2005
✟16,017.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't think I posted this here before but a while ago I had some problems with a voice that was basically telling me alot of negative things and encouraging me to self harm and just generally to hurt myself...It kinda went away on it's own but now it's back. It's kinda different this time but I know it's still the same problem if that makes sense...recently it's been saying all sorts of stuff that are really hard to ignore and i'm really struggling with it.
Like the other day I had to speak to my counsellor on the phone which I've never really done before cause I hate phone calls and so I sounded a bit stupid and was desperatly trying to end the conversation as soon as possible. As is usual for me I felt complety stupid and then the voice kicked in and started telling me that my counsellor doesn't actually like me and that she only ever acts like she cares out of sympathy cause I'm so pathetic and that if she didn't care then no one did so i was on my own. I know it's not true but it'd really convincing when you hear something inside your head like that and I don't really know what to do...I guess If you guys could pray that it wont go to far and convince me to self harm or do anything like that I would really really apreciate it.

mamalonglegs

May 21, 2006
Shelburne, New Hamphshire
✟7,829.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I use to hear my name whispered in my sleep so audibly that it would wake me up. I would sense evil in my room. Scary. However, the nearer I drew to the Lord the less often that voice came. Soon it disappeared altogether. I will pray for you. You need to pray. You need to be pro-active on your own behalf. All of that negative thinking about yourself is not going to help you at all. It will only drag you down like lead weights on a diver. Try writing down your negative self talk one sentence at a time. Under each statement write down why you believe that statement. Then Challenge yourself and write down a new and healthy belief that changes the statement into something positive whether you believe it or not. Keep reading the positive over and over and over until you believe it. Remember. That Almighty God knew you and loved you before you were even born (Psalm 139). How can you put down that which the creator made special? Journal and meditate on that thought for awhile. Start thinking positive. Otherwise, you have what I call "Stinkin' Thinkin'". It's time to stop. Make wise choices and take care of yourself.
mamalonglegs Ephesians 6:18

Upvote 0

Soulwings

A true original.
Apr 7, 2003
Northeastern USA.
✟25,389.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
:hug: Pockleberry. I had a whole chorus of voices like that ... so I totally get what you mean. :hug: For me, they went away permanently with a strong med, and not before ... is there any way that you could try and explain to your counselor about it? Because I'm sure that s/he has dealt with this type of thing in the past, and will know what to do and how to minimise its effects. As long as you know that it's there and that it's telling you to do bad stuff, like cut etc., then you can combat it better. :hug: Praying for you, and know that I'm here if you need someone to talk with. :hug:

Upvote 0

pockleberry

Apr 10, 2005
✟16,017.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Not gonna happen because last time this happened everyone I spoke to just told me it was nothing to worry about. All very well for them to say but doesn't help me much. I don't know how my counsellor will react when i tell her cause last time I wasn't really seeing her so she couldn't really talk to me about it...

Upvote 0

berry2000

May 21, 2006
California
✟16,993.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
(((Pockelberry))) I am sorry that was their repsonse that is totally wrong of them. I know it may be scary but I do think it would be wise to try and be brave and tell the counselor. It could be spiritual as mamalongleggs was alluding too or it could be biological. An antipsychotic or some other medication may help a lot. Good luck...and don't listen to that voice it is full of lies.

Upvote 0

pockleberry

Apr 10, 2005
✟16,017.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for the prayers but I get the feeling I shouldn't have said anything...talking about it just makes it worse almost as if it is angry at me for seeking to get rid of it. That might sound stupid but it keeps going at me like how could I say anything.

I'm a complete stupid failure so I apologise for wasting your time. Maybe it is just telling me the truth

Upvote 0

Celtic Camel

Nov 28, 2004
wandering a journey in eternity
Visit site
✟16,553.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Precious Pockleberry :hug:
Don't listen to those voices. I have the same thing happen most of the time, and the weird thing is that when I first told anyone they became so much worse, that it made me afraid to talk about it. If it is a spiritual thing, then you need to remember that things of darkness like to remain hidden & in the secret darkness.... and to keep you alone with them. There is power in bringing these things to light - so that others can pray for you and help you. You were right to tell others about what's going on, so don't back away from that, no matter what the voices may say.
You a NOT a failure - you are an overcomer and victorious! These are the things that God says you are! You are important and precious and treasured.
I pray that you will find peace in God's protection and comfort in His word.:prayer:
I always find Psalm 91 helps me... I speak it out loud, and the evil thoughts have to leave (at least long enough to carry me to a safer place).
:hug:

Upvote 0

HolyOne87

Call Me A Sinner, Call Me A Saint..
Jun 2, 2006
✟18,539.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
ive had those voices sometimes as well. When I get those voices, I sometimes immediately take out my rosary and pray the rosary(for as long as i need to..sometimes I only need to pray one decade..other times I gotta pray the whole thing).
I shall pray for you

+God Bless+

Upvote 0

Im-revived

Working for God, through our Lord.
May 5, 2005
England
✟7,494.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
UK-Labour
Hi sweetheart,

Sounds like your really struggling again love. Have you tried your youth pastor again? Like I said on another thread it sounds as though your self Esteem has really dropped, why not take a look at that forum on here. I also think you need supportive prayer, as with the voices being so negatively strong, there is a possibility there could be a deeper spiritual issue, which could relate back a long time. This is just a suggestion but really try and get extra prayer support from church.

Praying for you Love

Im-revived

I don't think I posted this here before but a while ago I had some problems with a voice that was basically telling me alot of negative things and encouraging me to self harm and just generally to hurt myself...It kinda went away on it's own but now it's back. It's kinda different this time but I know it's still the same problem if that makes sense...recently it's been saying all sorts of stuff that are really hard to ignore and i'm really struggling with it.
Like the other day I had to speak to my counsellor on the phone which I've never really done before cause I hate phone calls and so I sounded a bit stupid and was desperatly trying to end the conversation as soon as possible. As is usual for me I felt complety stupid and then the voice kicked in and started telling me that my counsellor doesn't actually like me and that she only ever acts like she cares out of sympathy cause I'm so pathetic and that if she didn't care then no one did so i was on my own. I know it's not true but it'd really convincing when you hear something inside your head like that and I don't really know what to do...I guess If you guys could pray that it wont go to far and convince me to self harm or do anything like that I would really really apreciate it.

Upvote 0

BrokenForHim

Oct 15, 2006
In a box
Visit site
✟8,544.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
:hug: I know the feeling...when you hear those voices pray out loud...it may seem kinda odd...but tell them to leave that your a child of God and that they have no place in your life...you gotta say it out loud or it wont help...I'll be praying for you....things will get better...:kiss: mwah!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cinnabunch

Jun 21, 2006
Maryland
Visit site
✟544.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I was wondering if that was the only "voice" you ever heard. Have you only heard a voice telling you negative things. Have you ever felt like you were watching yourself saying or doing things you never would imagine?

Sometimes its demonic..but sometimes its not..sometimes its just a part of our brain trapped in the past...playing old tapes...

blessings
cindy

Upvote 0

pockleberry

Apr 10, 2005
✟16,017.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was wondering if that was the only "voice" you ever heard. Have you only heard a voice telling you negative things. Have you ever felt like you were watching yourself saying or doing things you never would imagine?

Sometimes its demonic..but sometimes its not..sometimes its just a part of our brain trapped in the past...playing old tapes...

blessings
cindy
Erm I guess sometimes I have watched myself talking to people and have been saying things, arguing with them...it's weird cause I haven't felt in control and almost everytime when I feel able to I have to apolagise cause I know I shouldn't have said what I did, i'm not the sort of person who argues like that...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

chloeobrien

Survivor
Sep 24, 2006
Michigan
✟7,785.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
awww! HUGE HUGS! You may want to see a psychiatrist about the voices. I hear voices and since my pscyh put me on meds its been a lot better and how its a lot easier for me to ignore them. They're not gone but the meds help me learn how to cope with em better.

If you wanna talk more feel free to PM ME OR EMAIL OR IM!
I'll keep you in my thoughts.

Chloe

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.