Visit site
✟22,366.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Would you say that it is a bad idea to go visit other churches for the singles groups when it does not interfere in your own church attendance or hardly interferes and you pay attention to Bible studies that go on instead of spending the whole time checking people out?

I don't think it's a bad idea at all! In fact, if there aren't a lot of (or any) singles or people around your age in your church, I think it would be a good idea! Sometimes, we just need a little fellowship with people who are going through the same things we are!

In my church, I am the only person between about 18 and 35. (It's like that in just about every church in my town.) I'm involved in my church, but there aren't a lot of people that I can really connect with because most of them are either in their 40s and married with four kids or are 15 and in high school. There's something special about fellowship with people that are in the same place as you in life. So I've been trying to find a young adults or singles group near me that I can get involved in also, but I've been having a hard time finding one closer than an hour away.

Upvote 0

Gym

CF's Ruskie
Sep 10, 2009
✟12,239.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I don't think it's a bad idea at all! In fact, if there aren't a lot of (or any) singles or people around your age in your church, I think it would be a good idea! Sometimes, we just need a little fellowship with people who are going through the same things we are!

In my church, I am the only person between about 18 and 35. (It's like that in just about every church in my town.) I'm involved in my church, but there aren't a lot of people that I can really connect with because most of them are either in their 40s and married with four kids or are 15 and in high school. There's something special about fellowship with people that are in the same place as you in life. So I've been trying to find a young adults or singles group near me that I can get involved in also, but I've been having a hard time finding one closer than an hour away.
I noticed your locale as FL..
if you're near Destin, ST. Petersburg, Hialeah or Miami I can probably help you out.. so PM me

Upvote 0

K9_Trainer

Unusually unusual, absolutely unpredictable
May 31, 2006
✟18,437.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I don't see why not. I don't see why one of the stipulations has to be that it doesn't interfere with your normal church's schedule. Go where you want, you don't owe any particular church total loyalty.

Just make sure that you are ok with dating somebody from that denomination, that if there are different theologies and values, you will be ok with that. Yeah you may want to go just for the Bible study, but it's still a singles group. Chances are, they're looking. Don't make yourself available to men you can't date, it'll help avoid heartache.

Upvote 0

Amber.ly

Predictably eccentric and honestly hypocritical
Mar 1, 2010
Gone- PM if you need me
✟22,486.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've considered it as I am in the same situation as RoseHannah. But honestly, I keep busy enough serving in my home church that I'm not sure I could go to another church's Singles group without taking away from what I do with my own.

Not to mention, I would just be going for the fun, not to grow and I'm not entirely sure that is the attitude one should have LOL

Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟382,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I've done it before... but I eventually switched over to the other church altogether, because that's where my friends were. No regrets. It was a good group. More of a fellowship of those who happen to be single than a meat market.

That said, I'd test the waters first. Some are a better fit than others.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Daughter of Ararat

Yeshua's Rose of Hayastan
May 4, 2010
✟9,539.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Considering the fact that I attend a Messianic synagogue and an Oriental Orthodox church, I suspect that either way, a church I visit won't be totally similar. I don't care about theology that much any more. I dated a Catholic and a non-denominational Protestant. It's who they are and how they relate to their faith and the world that I care more about. (I busted my butt/heart trying to fit someone else's idea of a perfect Christian, but I am not, and I don't know everything, and I don't want to have to be absolutely certain on non-salvic issues atm, and I love culture.)

I want to give guys and dating a chance this year, you know, not discount a guy entirely after less than 5 minutes of meeting like I usually do as dating is unnecessary and was distracting from homework which I no longer have. I also nice Christian guys who both have (and are a) character because while I am attracted to some non-Christian guys because they are not as conservative or lacking in appreciation of some of my interests. I would expect then that meeting Christian guys older than 4 years younger than me and less than a decade older who are single might be a good idea. I like Bible study, but I also want to meet potential dates and learn more about what I want in a guy.

I'm not suggesting visiting a singles group to change churches. I have good friends at the Messianic synagogue where I am most involved. It is small, and there are no age-appropriate men who are single there.

Upvote 0

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I've considered it as I am in the same situation as RoseHannah. But honestly, I keep busy enough serving in my home church that I'm not sure I could go to another church's Singles group without taking away from what I do with my own.

Same here.

But as I said in another thread there are no single women my age in my own church. So I'm really worried that I might not meet anyone without spending some time elsewhere.

Upvote 0