Vineyard Churches - How are they distinctive?

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟451,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So we moved recently and have been seeking a new church. Attended a Vineyard church last Sunday. Our previous church was not charismatic. I had heard Vineyard is, but from the service there was nothing to indicate that to be honest. So - anyone know how they compare in practice to other charismatic denominations? Also, does anyone know if they are generally public politically like many evangelical churches?

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟963,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Both Vineyard & Assembly of God have dialed back the public expression of "tongues" in recent years, but they still move in other gifts.
It seemed like Calvary Chapel did the same thing further back.
It is disappointing, :sigh: but it might be a "season" thing for the Holy Spirit.
Also, does anyone know if they are generally public politically...?
I am not sure what that phrase means.

Reactions: Pioneer3mm
Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
So we moved recently and have been seeking a new church. Attended a Vineyard church last Sunday. Our previous church was not charismatic. I had heard Vineyard is, but from the service there was nothing to indicate that to be honest. So - anyone know how they compare in practice to other charismatic denominations? Also, does anyone know if they are generally public politically like many evangelical churches?

This might help understand.

Association of Vineyard Churches
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigationJump to search
Association of Vineyard Churches

Vineyard Word Mark
Classification Protestant
Orientation Neo-charismatic
Theology Evangelical
Region Claims 95 countries
Origin 1974
Congregations Claims 2,400
Official website www.vineyard.org
The Association of Vineyard Churches, also known as the Vineyard Movement, is a neocharismatic evangelical Christian denomination.[1]

The Vineyard Movement is rooted in the charismatic renewal and historic evangelicalism. Instead of the mainstream charismatic label, however, the movement has preferred the term Empowered Evangelicals (a term coined by Rich Nathan and Ken Wilson in their book of the same name) to reflect their roots in traditional evangelicalism as opposed to classical Pentecostalism. Members also sometimes describe themselves as the "radical middle" between evangelicals and Pentecostals, which is a reference to the book The Quest for the Radical Middle, a historical survey of the Vineyard by Bill Jackson.

It has been associated with the "Signs and Wonders" movement,[2]: 199  the Toronto blessing,[2]: 222  the Kansas City Prophets[2]: 160  and a particular style of Christian worship music.[2]: 212 

The Vineyard operates a publishing house, Vineyard International Publishing.

Contents
History[edit]
The first local church started when Kenn Gulliksen brought together two Bible studies, both meeting at the houses of singer/songwriters: Larry Norman and Chuck Girard in 1974.[3] In early 1975, thirteen groups met at the Beverly Hills Women's club.[4]: 80  These Bible studies, and others like them, were attended by many popular actors/actresses and musicians including Bob Dylan.[4]: 81  Gulliksen's Vineyard had spun off sister churches.

In 1977, John Wimber, an evangelical pastor and teacher on church growth, founded a Calvary Chapel in Yorba Linda, California.[5] Wimber's teaching on healing and the ministry of the Holy Spirit led to conflict. In a meeting with Calvary Chapel leaders, it was suggested that Wimber's church stop using the Calvary name and affiliate with Gulliksen's Vineyard movement.[6] In 1982, Wimber's church changed its name to the Anaheim Vineyard Christian Fellowship. Gulliksen turned over the churches under his oversight to Wimber, beginning his leadership of the Vineyard movement. Evangelist Lonnie Frisbee credits Gulliksen as founder of the Vineyard movement.[7]

Beginning in 1988, Wimber established relationships with prophetic figures such as Paul Cain, Bob Jones, and Mike Bickle who pastored Kansas City Fellowship, an independent church which would come under the Vineyard banner as Metro Vineyard (see Kansas City Prophets). For a time, these men had considerable influence on Wimber and the Vineyard—according to Jackson, Wimber's son was delivered from drug addiction through a prophetic word from Jones.[8] However, there were those in the Vineyard who were skeptical, and Wimber himself became disillusioned over the restorationist teaching and failed prophecies of these men. Around 1991, Wimber began to distance himself from the prophetic movement, leading the Vineyard back to a church-planting direction, while Bickle's church withdrew and dropped the Vineyard label.

The Vineyard Movement suffered a visible leadership vacuum after Wimber's death on November 16, 1997.[9] However, Todd Hunter, who served as National Coordinator since February 1994 and as acting Director of the Vineyard at the time of Wimber's death, became the National Director in January 1998 and served in that capacity until he resigned in May 2000.[10] After Hunter's resignation, the National Board of Directors named Bert Waggoner of Sugar Land, Texas, as the new National Director. As of 2007, the Association of Vineyard Churches includes over 2400 churches around the world, and this number continues to grow due to a strong priority placed on church-planting within the Vineyard mission.[5] In October, 2011, Phil Strout was selected by the National Board of Directors to succeed Waggoner as National Director in January 2013.[11]

Statistics[edit]
On the union's website, they claim that in 2020 it had 2,400 churches in 95 countries.[12]

Beliefs and practices[edit]
Doctrinal statements[edit]
For most of the early life of the Vineyard Movement, Vineyard churches had no official statement of faith. This is not to be interpreted as an absence of a common belief structure; rather, the primary reasons for the absence of such a declaration were:

• the demonstrative teaching of John Wimber, who effectively set the tone and doctrinal beliefs of the movement
  • a desire to reflect the "low-key," "low-pressure" environment of the church that encouraged people to "come as you are"
  • specifically, de-emphasizing any atmosphere or actions that could be considered overtly dogmatic.
According to text in the official Vineyard Statement of Faith[13] released in 1994, an effort to create a common Statement of Faith had been underway since 1983, but took 10+ years to complete because: "On one hand, we felt obliged to set forth our biblical and historically orthodox beliefs, on the other hand, we wanted to describe the values and priorities that make the Vineyard unique within the context of Evangelicalism."[14]

LGBTQ+ position[edit]
In a 2020 letter to local church leaders, Vineyard Canada expressed its position that having a non-heterosexual orientation is itself not sinful, however the church does not allow the officiating of same sex marriages or licensing people in same sex marriages for pastoral ministry. This letter also distinguished gender identity from sexual orientation as its own theological and policy matter that requires further consideration.[15]

Branches[edit]
United States[edit]
The national headquarters of Vineyard USA is currently located in Sugar Land, Texas. Vineyard USA is divided into eight regions, and each region has clusters of churches grouped together by location, facilitated by an Area Pastoral Care Leader (APCL). The APCL's work together with the Regional Overseer (RO) to provide leadership and encouragement to the region. The central governing body of the Vineyard in the U.S. is known as the Executive Team, and includes the National Director. Currently, the President and National Director is Phil Strout. All major strategic decisions, including theological and doctrinal statements, are made by the National Board. In 2018, Vineyard USA is estimated to have approximately 200,000 members in 600 churches.[16]

United Kingdom and Ireland[edit]
Main article: Vineyard Churches UK and Ireland
Denmark[edit]
As of 2017, 5 new churches have started in Denmark. 3 of these churches within just one year. Locations are in Odense, Køge, Aalborg, Rønne (Bornholm), and Helsingør.[17]

Vineyard Worship[edit]

Vineyard Worship is a record label created and used by the Association of Vineyard Churches. The organization uses it to release worship albums. A UK branch of the record label exists, called Vineyard Records. Its musicians include Kathryn Scott,[18] Nigel Briggs, Samuel Lane, Nigel Hemming, Brenton Brown,[19] Brian Doerksen, Andy Park, Jeremy Riddle, Kevin Prosch, Marc James and Sara Brusco.[20]

History[edit]
Vineyard Music was developed by the Vineyard church in 1985. The church began to write its own worship songs, so John Wimber founded Mercy Records. This later became Vineyard Worship.

Discography

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟451,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am not sure what that phrase means.

Yeah I guess that was poorly worded. Generally, the churches we were familiar with at our previous home (they were non-charismatic evangelical so I'm not very familiar with charismatic) fell into two camps. Either those that were open about their support for a specific political party and indicated that by voter guides, sermon topics, even flat out endorsements of politicians (politically public) or they conducted services devoid of direct political involvement or reference. I was trying to figure out which of those camps, in general, Vineyard churches might fall into.

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟451,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
JIMINZ - thanks. I had read that but it didn't really get to what I'm not doing a great job of asking. I've been to Pentacostal events before and when I visited Vineyard last week it was almost exactly like the non-charismatic services I am very familiar with. So I'm trying to figure out if they have distinct differences from other charismatics.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟963,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was trying to figure out which of those camps, in general, Vineyard churches might fall into.
I don't know that all Vineyards are the same.
I'm sure that they won't shy away from issues like abortion, but emphasizing candidates, by name (from the pulpit), is not common. It distracts from emphasis on its loftier goals.
Leaders can still form and give personal opinions on those matters, though.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,559.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The Christians I know who are involved with Vineyard churches are definitely charismatic. I don't know how a charismatic believer would rate how charismatic they are on a scale of 1 to 10, but they are a lot more charismatic than the Baptists.

These Christians are also more political than not, I would say. One of them gave me a long phone call about Trump and the media a few months ago, and I suspect it is because he got into a certain devotional by a certain individual who is associated with Kenneth Copeland which he spoke well of. And I suspect he got in touch with that through his new Vineyard church, or the prayer fellowship he found that Vineyard church through. That would not have happened 2-3 years ago.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't know that all Vineyards are the same.
I'm sure that they won't shy away from issues like abortion, but emphasizing candidates, by name (from the pulpit), is not common. It distracts from emphasis on its loftier goals.
Leaders can still form and give personal opinions on those matters, though.

And also, due to 501(C)(3) regulations, specifically the Johnson Ammendment which was suspended under Trump but is now back in effect due to the executive order expiring after Biden took office, they're not allowed to endorse candidates or parties from the pulpit specifically. So, unless the church is not incorporated and does not meet the requirements to be incorporated, then they should not do that or else the church and staff of the church are at risk of losing everything.

• Informative
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟246,240.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Both Vineyard & Assembly of God have dialed back the public expression of "tongues" in recent years, but they still move in other gifts.
It seemed like Calvary Chapel did the same thing further back.
It is disappointing, :sigh: but it might be a "season" thing for the Holy Spirit.

Hello! I was in AOG 1999-2007. I agree with you that they've dialed back, not just on tongues but on other things as well, like the Baptism of the Holy Spirit and bible teaching. I don't believe it's a season for the Holy Spirit:

If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!” (Luke 11:13)

I think it's more a case of where the church is at. God Bless :)

Upvote 0

Robert1849

Oct 31, 2021
PRIEST RIVER
Visit site
✟18,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Like many places, they have changed a lot over the years, that however varies from place to place. My early days started at a John Wimber meeting. It was wild, amazing and I still long to see those days return. But over the decades I have dipped my toes into some of the regional ones including a church plant. Some had so little Charismatic flavor they might as well have been the local baptist church. The problem is many things hot, fall into the danger of becoming warm as time marches on as we all become tempted to live off the glory days of the past. The Vineyard is full of people, and people have issues.

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟451,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Like many places, they have changed a lot over the years, that however varies from place to place. My early days started at a John Wimber meeting. It was wild, amazing and I still long to see those days return. But over the decades I have dipped my toes into some of the regional ones including a church plant. Some had so little Charismatic flavor they might as well have been the local baptist church. The problem is many things hot, fall into the danger of becoming warm as time marches on as we all become tempted to live off the glory days of the past. The Vineyard is full of people, and people have issues.

We have visited the couple of Vineyard churches near us a few times, and I have to say they are similar to your comments about some of the regional churches you mentioned. Teaching has been solid and biblical, so they remain on our list of possible church homes.

Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟451,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Resurrecting my old thread just to say we did settle at one of the local Vineyard churches. Had a long meeting with the senior pastor before about theology (solid) and political intertwining (there is nothing partisan). We don’t have tongues in their services but other sign gifts have shown up in teaching. Generally they are practiced in small group and home settings. Strong worship emphasis and I have joined worship team. Definitely different from our prior evangelical church, but not a departure from essentials of the gospel. So far very happy there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums