Jonathan David

Revolutionary Dancer
Jan 19, 2004
Home.... mostly
Visit site
✟21,356.00
Faith
Judaism
I am in no way denying or justifying the existence of honour killings in different societies. I have no problem saying that they are reprehensible and absolutely wrong... but to suggest that they have been brought up in this thread for the sake of our education is disingenuous. They have been brought up here to suggest that "Muslims" are barbaric and, implicitly, to justify Western aggression against Muslim peoples and to defelct attention from our own barbaric acts.

How is this putting the crimes of these soldiers in perspective? What is the perspective? That her family might have killed her anyway so the soldiers were just "completing the job" that was initiated by their heinous acts? I don't get how "perspective" has anything to do with honour killings vis-a-vis this story.

Upvote 0

onzaga

Aug 6, 2004
new orleans
✟7,678.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
any and all who partake in war,even in good conscious ,weather voluntarily or not,are opened up to such horror as to become evil themselves.all wars have soldiers in a position to kill the innocent and live with the consequences.THIS IS THE DEFINITION OF WAR...and the reason it should only be fought in defense.

Upvote 0

ILOVJESUSTILHERESIGNS

Feb 20, 2007
✟565.00
Faith
Catholic
Truth is truth. In many parts of the Arab/Muslim world, the rape and murder of a 14 year-old girl could be justified under Sharia law, under certain circumstances. That's a fact. And across many areas there, the rape and murder would have drawn far less outrage had the perpetrator been a Muslim male. Like it or not.

Oh really? Where did you get your precious "facts" from? Try to rape a 14 years old girl ( or any women of any age) in the Arab/Muslim world irrespective of your religion and see if you would be lucky getting any punishment other than death by hanging.

Your statement is ridiculous, to say the least.

Upvote 0

Verv

Senior Veteran
Apr 17, 2005
서울
✟31,762.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
"Honor crimes are acts of violence, usually murder, committed by male family members against female family members, who are perceived to have brought dishonor upon the family. A woman can be targeted by (individuals within) her family for a variety of reasons, including: refusing to enter into an arranged marriage, being the victim of a sexual assault, seeking a divorce — even from an abusive husband — or (allegedly) committing adultery. The mere perception that a woman has behaved in a specific way to "dishonor" her family, is sufficient to trigger an attack." - Wikipeda

The same site notes that roughly 5,000 happen a year.

Being sexually assaulted is a reason to be murdered in Islamic society for the preservation of honor.

Upvote 0

ILOVJESUSTILHERESIGNS

Feb 20, 2007
✟565.00
Faith
Catholic
Being sexually assaulted is a reason to be murdered in Islamic society for the preservation of honor.

Sorry to tell you that this is not true, sexual assault is rape. No women is killed because she is raped. I'm not sure on what basis you made such a claim?

Upvote 0

fuzzymel

Contributor
Sep 25, 2006
Not a clue
✟15,527.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
This is such a sad story.

What that poor girl must have gone through before she was murdered. How could someone be so evil? I dont care if it was an American or an Iraqi or anyone else for that matter that girl did nothing to deserve it and the person who did it needed to be punished.

Upvote 0

soblessed53

Sep 4, 2005
North Central,OH.U.S.A.
✟19,666.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I am in no way denying or justifying the existence of honour killings in different societies. I have no problem saying that they are reprehensible and absolutely wrong... but to suggest that they have been brought up in this thread for the sake of our education is disingenuous. They have been brought up here to suggest that "Muslims" are barbaric and, implicitly, to justify Western aggression against Muslim peoples and to defelct attention from our own barbaric acts.

How is this putting the crimes of these soldiers in perspective? What is the perspective? That her family might have killed her anyway so the soldiers were just "completing the job" that was initiated by their heinous acts? I don't get how "perspective" has anything to do with honour killings vis-a-vis this story.
Persepctive might apply to a simple panic attack that resulted in the killing of innocents, but to rape this woman required definite malice and premeditation.

Upvote 0

Norseman

EAC Representative
Apr 29, 2004
Currently in China
✟13,677.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
"Honor crimes are acts of violence, usually murder, committed by male family members against female family members, who are perceived to have brought dishonor upon the family. A woman can be targeted by (individuals within) her family for a variety of reasons, including: refusing to enter into an arranged marriage, being the victim of a sexual assault, seeking a divorce — even from an abusive husband — or (allegedly) committing adultery. The mere perception that a woman has behaved in a specific way to "dishonor" her family, is sufficient to trigger an attack." - Wikipeda

The same site notes that roughly 5,000 happen a year.

Oh, well if it's ok, then let's all just go to Iraq and start raping and murdering little girls. Afterall, wikipedia says they'd be cool with it...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BlackAndy

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.
Dec 5, 2006
Hilliard, Ohio, USA
✟25,599.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Why can't crimes stand as what they are -- crimes? In no way is this anything but a terrible crime. It is not political. It has nothing to do with anything except their misbehavior.
Agreed. This individual is lucky he will only spend the remainder of his life behind bars. His actions are dispicable and in no way represent our soldiers or our country.

....I would give him to the Iraqis.

Upvote 0

TheNewWorldMan

phased plasma rifle in 40-watt range
Jan 2, 2007
✟28,775.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Sorry to tell you that this is not true, sexual assault is rape. No women is killed because she is raped. I'm not sure on what basis you made such a claim?

Did you not read the post prior to yours, where a link was posted documenting the fact thousands of such killings take place every year?

Upvote 0

TheNewWorldMan

phased plasma rifle in 40-watt range
Jan 2, 2007
✟28,775.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Oh, well if it's ok, then let's all just go to Iraq and start raping and murdering little girls. Afterall, wikipedia says they'd be cool with it...

No one here said that.

What have Muslims done to earn such vociferous defense whenever anyone criticizes any aspect of their religion or culture? Did they find a cure for cancer? Invent a perpetual motion machine?

The point that was made was that some of the same Muslims who are calling for blood over the rape and murder would in fact have nothing to say if Muslims had, under certain circumstances, carried out the rape and murder. Before your knee jerks and you accuse me of hating all Muslims, note the qualifiers to my statement that I italicized for your convenience.

Facts are facts. Political correctness won't dispel them. The FACT is that the state of women's rights across much of the Muslim world is disgraceful and dismal.

No one here has suggested that what the soldier did should be diminished in any way, shape or form because the victim of this atrocity was Muslim. I have said anyone guilty of such an offense should hang for rape and murder.

Upvote 0
T

Tenka

TheNewWorldMan said:
The point that was made was that some of the same Muslims who are calling for blood over the rape and murder would in fact have nothing to say if Muslims had, under certain circumstances, carried out the rape and murder.
Why was it even brought up? Why the need to use this horrible event as a platform to attack "some" Muslims?
No one here has suggested that what the soldier did should be diminished in any way, shape or form because the victim of this atrocity was Muslim.
It looks exactly like that when:
1Cor13v13 said:
So, putting actions in perspective is wrong? Good one!
Put it in "perspective"

Upvote 0

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
In Western courts of law, it is the rapists and muderers who are the criminals.

According to Sharia law, if muslim men did the deed, it would all be the 14-year old child's fault. If she had survived, her family's honor would be restored only if she were executed for her sins.

"Read all about the 14 year old muslim girl, abducted and raped by an adult male, who on her rescue and return to her family was brutally murdered by her father for "shaming" the family. Or the bride dressing for a wedding ceremony stabbed 22 times by her cousin because his tender sensibilities were upset that she was marrying a divorced man.

These incidents ocurred in Western countries..."

http://drsanity.blogspot.com/2005/02/yes-this-is-islam.html

:scratch: And this relates to this story how exactly?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat

Not that it has anything at all to do with the topic (and as suggested a mere tactic to deflect attention away from what these psychopaths did) but honor killings are a fact in Muslim culture. Look it up on Human Rights Watch.

Upvote 0

Verv

Senior Veteran
Apr 17, 2005
서울
✟31,762.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am not sure what the likelihood that he woul dbe paroled in 10 years is if enough of it stacked up.

The military justice system is not exactly lenient, and I think that receiving parole is harder.

I was searching for information concerning military and parole, and the likelihood that he would receive a parole... I found that there was a similar case of sexual assault and murder by a US servicemen in Bosnia (of an 11 year old girl) and the Soldier received life without parole (CNN), just as a sidenote that it does not always go this way.

I did find some standards for the parole of a Soldier in Army Regulation 15:130:

"The ACPB may consider the nature and circumstances of the
offense to determine whether clemency or parole would depreciate​
the seriousness of the offense or promote disrespect for the law."

I think with the general strictness, and the fact that the parole board consists of five sober minded military personnel, there will be no unmerited parole given.

Trust me... I am in the US Army, and when we hear of such disgusting actions committed by our representatives in uniform, there is no way we will go lightly being that these actions bring shame upon us all. It is an offense before us all.

... And certainly, if for some reason the world has lost his mind and he is paroled, I will be on your side and agree with the total miscarriage of justice.

Upvote 0