Twitter user Douglass Mackey sentenced to 7 months in prison after being found guilty of election interference for making memes disparaging Hillary

YorkieGal

Glory to God
Sep 6, 2023
USA
✟13,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's actually a separate conversation...

But for the record, I was critical of the fact that government actors were putting, what I felt, was pressure on social media outlets to hide the NY Post story.

That being said, someone opting not to allow something on a platform isn't the same as taking a proactive dishonest action.

For instance, if I was someone who was against concealed carry, there's a huge difference between
"I'm not going publish/advertise what the process is because I don't want people to do it"
vs.
"I'm going to blast text 50,000 people and falsely tell them that there's constitutional carry in their jurisdiction (when there isn't) so that they get in trouble"

Or perhaps a better way to boil it down to its base elements:
It's the difference between refusing to talk about something vs. lying. (our legal system makes that distinction too)
It's not separate at all. It's the crux of the conversation and the whole reason everyone who disagrees with this disagrees.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Then you need to jail people on the left for the same behavior.
Please cite an example of someone on the left doing the sane thing and not being prosecuted.

• Agree
Reactions: JustOneWay
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think it's worth pointing out that this was a jury trial. The jury was not (merely) shown memes. They heard testimony of how the guilty party conspired to influence the election. And convicted him.
These were fake Hillary campaign ads, mimicking the font, symbols and style as well as fraudulently claiming to be from the campaign - telling people they can vote via text. Nearly five thousand people did text "Hillary" to the number provided, at least some thinking they were actually voting.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟143,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
These were fake Hillary campaign ads, mimicking the font, symbols and style as well as fraudulently claiming to be from the campaign - telling people they can vote via text. Nearly five thousand people did text "Hillary" to the number provided, at least some thinking they were actually voting.
I have to agree with you in this case. When he set up an actual number that people could text that went way beyond satire

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,102,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
MOD HAT ON

350015_0f282d4b538245f7d5ab333c90dad940.jpeg

Let's not take this thread off topic. If you see an off topic post; don't respond to it, thereby taking the thread further off topic.

Report it.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,185.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
That’s besides the point. A jury reviewed the evidence and the charges and voted to convict. They could certainly all be wrong. You haven’t shown that they are though.

What special insight do you have to say otherwise?
What, you weren't convinced by the amount of research and fact-finding that went into producing the sophisticated legal argument of "LOL"?

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,185.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
As I said earlier, our justice system seems to be aligned to one side at the minute and that is a scary place to be as a nation.

An alternative view - one political party seems so committed to staying in power that they're willing to break the law to try and do so.

See the OP for an example.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,509.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
It's disappointing that anyone would reduce and misrepresent the characterization of what this guy did as "just making memes". But given posters willingness to compare illegal, prosecuted in court, outcomes of messages that they support, with unsubstantiated, unprosecuted and unproven rumours of their political enemies, it shouldn't be surprising.

Upvote 0

YorkieGal

Glory to God
Sep 6, 2023
USA
✟13,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have to agree with you in this case. When he set up an actual number that people could text that went way beyond satire

I didn't see this info in the original articles. Yes, this would change things and mean things went beyond a meme.

Reactions: BPPLEE
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,496.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I didn't see this info in the original articles. Yes, this would change things and mean things went beyond a meme.
I think that there's more than enough info in the article to convince anyone that he was acting illegally. Apart from some opinions expressed in the first few lines, this is about the whole article.

The DOJ alleged that "Mackey was sending tweets suggesting the importance of limiting 'black turnout,' the defendant tweeted an image depicting an African American woman standing in front of an 'African Americans for Hillary' sign. The ad stated: 'Avoid the Line. Vote from Home,' 'Text ‘Hillary’ to 59925,' and 'Vote for Hillary and be a part of history.'"

"The fine print at the bottom of the deceptive image stated: 'Must be 18 or older to vote. One vote per person. Must be a legal citizen of the United States. Voting by text not available in Guam, Puerto Rico, Alaska or Hawaii. Paid for by Hillary For President 2016.' The tweet included the typed hashtag '#ImWithHer,' a slogan frequently used by Hillary Clinton. On or about and before Election Day 2016, at least 4,900 unique telephone numbers texted 'Hillary' or some derivative to the 59925 text number, which had been used in multiple deceptive campaign images tweeted by Mackey and his co-conspirators."

"Mackey has been found guilty by a jury of his peers of attempting to deprive individuals from exercising their sacred right to vote for the candidate of their choice in the 2016 Presidential Election," stated United States Attorney Peace at the time. "Today’s verdict proves that the defendant’s fraudulent actions crossed a line into criminality and flatly rejects his cynical attempt to use the constitutional right of free speech as a shield for his scheme to subvert the ballot box and suppress the vote."

"As alleged in the complaint, between September 2016 and November 2016, in the lead up to Nov. 8, 2016, U.S. Presidential Election, Mackey conspired with others to use social media platforms, including Twitter, to disseminate fraudulent messages designed to encourage supporters of one of the presidential candidates (the 'Candidate') to 'vote' via text message or social media, a legally invalid method of voting," the DOJ stated, describing the meme.

"According to the allegations in the complaint, the defendant exploited a social media platform to infringe one the of most basic and sacred rights guaranteed by the Constitution: the right to vote," said Nicholas L. McQuaid, Acting Assistant Attorney General of the Justice Department’s Criminal Division. "This complaint underscores the department’s commitment to investigating and prosecuting those who would undermine citizens’ voting rights."

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,509.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I think that there's more than enough info in the article to convince anyone that he was acting illegally. Apart from some opinions expressed in the first few lines, this is about the whole article.

The DOJ alleged that "Mackey was sending tweets suggesting the importance of limiting 'black turnout,' the defendant tweeted an image depicting an African American woman standing in front of an 'African Americans for Hillary' sign. The ad stated: 'Avoid the Line. Vote from Home,' 'Text ‘Hillary’ to 59925,' and 'Vote for Hillary and be a part of history.'"

"The fine print at the bottom of the deceptive image stated: 'Must be 18 or older to vote. One vote per person. Must be a legal citizen of the United States. Voting by text not available in Guam, Puerto Rico, Alaska or Hawaii. Paid for by Hillary For President 2016.' The tweet included the typed hashtag '#ImWithHer,' a slogan frequently used by Hillary Clinton. On or about and before Election Day 2016, at least 4,900 unique telephone numbers texted 'Hillary' or some derivative to the 59925 text number, which had been used in multiple deceptive campaign images tweeted by Mackey and his co-conspirators."

"Mackey has been found guilty by a jury of his peers of attempting to deprive individuals from exercising their sacred right to vote for the candidate of their choice in the 2016 Presidential Election," stated United States Attorney Peace at the time. "Today’s verdict proves that the defendant’s fraudulent actions crossed a line into criminality and flatly rejects his cynical attempt to use the constitutional right of free speech as a shield for his scheme to subvert the ballot box and suppress the vote."

"As alleged in the complaint, between September 2016 and November 2016, in the lead up to Nov. 8, 2016, U.S. Presidential Election, Mackey conspired with others to use social media platforms, including Twitter, to disseminate fraudulent messages designed to encourage supporters of one of the presidential candidates (the 'Candidate') to 'vote' via text message or social media, a legally invalid method of voting," the DOJ stated, describing the meme.

"According to the allegations in the complaint, the defendant exploited a social media platform to infringe one the of most basic and sacred rights guaranteed by the Constitution: the right to vote," said Nicholas L. McQuaid, Acting Assistant Attorney General of the Justice Department’s Criminal Division. "This complaint underscores the department’s commitment to investigating and prosecuting those who would undermine citizens’ voting rights."
Interesting article. So it seems that to support this man you really would have had to take steps to remain underinformed.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,496.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Interesting article. So it seems that to support this man you really would have had to take steps to remain underinformed.
Indeed. Heaven forbid one should bother reading anything more than the headline. Almost 80% of the article explains in quite some detail why the guy was convicted. And it wasn't because he made some cheeky memes for a laugh.

I don't get it. There have been umpteen posts explaining this and virtually the whole piece from the news outlet explains it all yet it takes 160+ posts for the penny to drop.

Upvote 0