Twitter user Douglass Mackey sentenced to 7 months in prison after being found guilty of election interference for making memes disparaging Hillary

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

Mackey was sentenced to 7 months in prison for the crime of making memes the DOJ didn't think were funny. A fundraiser has been launched for his ongoing legal defense.

Free speech can now be criminalized.

Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private

Mackey was sentenced to 7 months in prison for the crime of making memes the DOJ didn't think were funny. A fundraiser has been launched for his ongoing legal defense.

Free speech can now be criminalized.
Defendant Attempted to Suppress Vote Through Social Media Disinformation Campaign. criminal act

LOL to the free speech statement. He committed a crime and will be where he needs to go - prison.

Don't forget - If they can do it to him they can do it to you...if you commit the same crime.

Upvote 0

YorkieGal

Glory to God
Sep 6, 2023
USA
✟13,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is wonderful news for America, but apparently not for you.
Yes, I love the idea of memes putting people in prison! More of this, please! Chinese and Korean governments are no longer just for the Chinese and Korean :clap:

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Yes, I love the idea of memes putting people in prison! More of this, please! Chinese and Korean governments are no longer just for the Chinese and Korean
If it were only memes, you would have a point. Of course this was about a campaign of deceit, and it is obvious that the government has the receipts to the criminal actions.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I'm ok with some prison for scheming to defraud people of their vote.

People act like free speech is limitless. But they are wrong. All manner of criminal fraud is basically conducted via speech, for instance.

Upvote 0

YorkieGal

Glory to God
Sep 6, 2023
USA
✟13,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If it were only memes, you would have a point. Of course this was about a campaign of deceit, and it is obvious that the government has the receipts to the criminal actions.
ONLY if it applies to everyone and not just particular individuals with particular party affiliations. These articles state that this is not the case since there is 'evidence' of the other party and individuals doing a similar thing.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,208,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
After reading through the full story, this guy did something a little more than just "making memes".

Fair is fair...and I'll call it right down the middle. What this person did was illegal.

Some details about the "meme"
Mackey conspired with other influential Twitter users and with members of private online groups to use social media platforms, including Twitter, to disseminate fraudulent messages that encouraged supporters of presidential candidate Hillary Clinton to “vote” via text message or social media which, in reality, was legally invalid. For example, on November 1, 2016, in or around the same time that Mackey was sending tweets suggesting the importance of limiting “black turnout,” the defendant tweeted an image depicting an African American woman standing in front of an “African Americans for Hillary” sign. The ad stated: “Avoid the Line. Vote from Home,” “Text ‘Hillary’ to 59925,” and “Vote for Hillary and be a part of history.” The fine print at the bottom of the deceptive image stated: “Must be 18 or older to vote. One vote per person. Must be a legal citizen of the United States. Voting by text not available in Guam, Puerto Rico, Alaska or Hawaii. Paid for by Hillary For President 2016.” On or about and before Election Day 2016, at least 4,900 unique telephone numbers texted “Hillary” or some derivative to the 59925 text number, which had been used in multiple deceptive campaign images tweeted by Mackey and his co-conspirators.

A) he was trying to trick people out of voting
B) he obviously acquired his own SMS short code for fraudulent purposes (or published someone else's in order to encourage unwanted traffic to the SMS gateways) -- in either case, it's against the law

Hypothetical here in order to highlight the problem.

If I was an anti-gun activist, purchased a short code from Twilio or AWS, bought a list from a marketing company with 50,000 phone numbers of people in New York who are registered republicans, and blasted out a message (with an official looking image including the New York state seal) stating "Starting Nov 1st, permitless carry is allowed in New York provided you notify the officer if you get pulled over", and as a result, 4,900 people thought it was legitimate and got in trouble (and as a result, would end up losing their right to own firearms in their state)... I wouldn't be able to write that off as a "harmless goof".

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,508.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
A great example of opinions being directed by affiliation. If I'd have posted about a story whereby someone had tried to influence voters to cast a vote by text in 2016, thus invalidating their vote and benefiting one politician over another and then I asked if this was acceptable, and if not how should he be punished, then I GUARANTEE that very many people in this forum would want to know which politician benefited before they replied.

• Agree
Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

YorkieGal

Glory to God
Sep 6, 2023
USA
✟13,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, whataboutism is not a legal argument. The link I posted does not include partisan propaganda and whataboutism. If other people were also doing the same thing they should be charged.
I'm so glad you're here to follow me around on the forum and point out the obvious on a couple of posts I've made!

It's enlightening and refreshing, thanks!

I pointed 'whataboutism' out because the article that was posted talked about it as a reason the author didn't agree with the ruling and I would agree with the author on this basis.

Edited: I made the mistake of thinking you posted the article so this has now been corrected.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
.....Mackey was sentenced to 7 months in prison for the crime of making memes the DOJ didn't think were funny......
We have been shown that the crime was a lot more significant than that. You might want to rethink where you get your information if it leads to conclusions like what you presented.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟152,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Accountability is essential for justice in a healthy democratic republic. It is refreshing to see it making a comeback I say. The more tribal people become, the more obscured truth becomes.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Another view:

And remember that in 2024:

Democrats vote in person on November 5th;
Republicans vote in person on November 6th.

Retweet and share the news!

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
I'm so glad you're here to follow me around on the forum and point out the obvious on a couple of posts I've made!

Don't flatter yourself. I post to whomever I want. Post more and I will reply more.
It's enlightening and refreshing, thanks!

I pointed 'whataboutism' out because the article that was posted talked about it as a reason the author didn't agree with the ruling and I would agree with the author on this basis.

Edited: I made the mistake of thinking you posted the article so this has now been corrected.
I did post an article, one without the partisan propaganda.

• Winner
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Defendant Attempted to Suppress Vote Through Social Media Disinformation Campaign. criminal act

LOL to the free speech statement. He committed a crime and will be where he needs to go - prison.

Don't forget - If they can do it to him they can do it to you...if you commit the same crime.
lol.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Lol

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I'm ok with some prison for scheming to defraud people of their vote.

People act like free speech is limitless. But they are wrong. All manner of criminal fraud is basically conducted via speech, for instance.
Lol

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Well, whataboutism is not a legal argument. The link I posted does not include partisan propaganda and whataboutism. If other people were also doing the same thing they should be charged.
No, they shouldn’t. It’s a stupid charge.

Reactions: BPPLEE
Upvote 0