Tigg

Senior Veteran
Jan 5, 2007
✟17,774.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Considering the other fare available on TV, there are far more distasteful shows than TV evangelists.

Satirical comedy shows and cartoons such as South Park also poke fun at Christianity and Catholicism regularly.

The same freedom of speech that allows Mother Angelica to run EWTN allows Benny Hinn and Joel Osteen to appear on TV.

I don't think you can restrict one without restricting the other.
I agree. I would not restrict. I guess the most I would do would be to object to their sponsors. I don't watch many on the telly. I do feel sorry for those who are limited with their income who send any money in to these people. They need those TV pastors to send them money! However to each their own.

-Peace-

Edit: I do not watch South Park as I dislike it from the beginning. Guess I am fortunate.

Upvote 0

HumbleMan

Ragamuffin
Dec 2, 2003
Mississippi by way of Texas
✟17,870.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm a protestant, and I refuse to watch Benny, John Hagee, Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, or just about anyone with a current ministry on TBN or INSP.

Billy Graham, though, I think has done much for the cause of Christ. And he has suffered many attacks from his fellow baptists because he won't denounce the Catholic Church.

Sometimes I'll watch Joel Osteen if I need to lift my spirits.

Upvote 0

Michelina

Site Supporter
Nov 6, 2003
✟19,733.00
Faith
Catholic
...Billy Graham, though, I think has done much for the cause of Christ. And he has suffered many attacks from his fellow baptists because he won't denounce the Catholic Church.
I think he is a great Christian gentleman and I'm grateful that he has opposed anti-Catholicism, publicly saying that Catholics (and others) would be judged by God in accordance with their consciences.

Upvote 0

Brother_Justin

Warrior of Our Lady
Apr 10, 2005
Iowa
✟4,587.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Brother Justin...:)

You need to reread what I agreed to.

I was agreeing that Billy Graham was the real deal.

Not Mr. Hinn.

Now...go back & read it again mister! :D

The whole thread.
Sorry I missquoted the wrong post of yours :)! I ment to quote the one where you said I needed to do more reading on Benny Hinn.......

Sorry :p

Brother Justin <><

Upvote 0

Brother_Justin

Warrior of Our Lady
Apr 10, 2005
Iowa
✟4,587.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
There is tons of reading on Hinn.

If you dare. :eek:
Ok I totaly understand now. Sorry I was reading your post as sarcastic lol. It's been ahwile since Ive posted I need to get used to reading emotions again hehe.

Sorry Michie!!!

Brother Justin <><

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ok I totaly understand now. Sorry I was reading your post as sarcastic lol. It's been ahwile since Ive posted I need to get used to reading emotions again hehe.

Sorry Michie!!!

Brother Justin <><
No problem Brother Justin. I've done the same. :)

Upvote 0

Latreia

Gone
Jun 13, 2005
✟24,734.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Some people follow entertainers religiously, some follow religious celebrities for entertainment, and some just need somebody, anybody to follow.

TV evangelists make it all too obvious exactly what they are, crowd pleasers and money grabbers. They fleece the flock instead of being the protecter and defender.

In spite of everything destructive and shallow they do, there are still lambs who are innocent in their trust for the con men who blaspheme that which they pretend to represent.

Those innocents are still pure of heart and soul and cannot be touched by any evil. It is to them that my thoughts and prayers go out.

In my life I have known people like that, who found some kind of comfort, even in the charade of false piety and fraudulent hopes presented.

It broke my heart to see it, but only God has the final answers.

Upvote 0

ConanTheLibrarian

Nov 11, 2005
Pyongtaek, South Korea
✟8,033.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Billy Graham is almost the only one I have any respect for. I wouldn't at all lump him together with some of these others.

On the bright side, some of these more notorious "health and wealth" televangelists give us a good retort for the next time someone brings up the "sale of indulgences" at the time of Martin Luther. "Let him who is without sin cast the first stone."

Upvote 0

holyorders

Miserable Pile of Secrets
Aug 27, 2004
✟3,631.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There was a local one that I used to watch very early in the morning as a kid. He was baptist I believe. I do believe that some Christian seeds helped to slow down my previous Agnostic/Pagan/Seeker field.

A lot of them are shams though, sadly.

Upvote 0

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Benny Hinn is a false prophet and child of Satan.

Most of the others are preaching OSAS giving a false hope to many. Then there are the multitude who are in the "Word of Faith" movement which says that greed is OK.

Satan learned quickly how to manipulate the mass media. Sometimes I wonder if the mass media is not a direct product of Satan.

In disgust,

Willis
Hinn, he was a cradle Catholic, right ?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HumbleMan

Ragamuffin
Dec 2, 2003
Mississippi by way of Texas
✟17,870.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Or T.D. Jakes, who is a Oneness Pentecostal, Rod Parlsey, or Jimmy Swaggart.

The thing is, these people appeal to the fringes of protestantism/ pentecostalism. I don't know many people in mainstream protestant churches (UMC, Episcopal, Lutheran, Presbyterian, Baptist, etc) who put much stock in them.

Upvote 0
R

Renton405

I just don't like the vehicle that they are using , which is Christ.. They are putting Christ in a commercialized plstic box that promises you things if you pay 70$ for a ticket to the show or send your money in on TV... I don't have a problem with a tith here and there(i give a little to my church) but when you start seeing expensive Armini Suits, gold jewely and gaudy style something is terrible wrong.. I myself think its sacreligious to bring Christ into a big commercial auditorium where you make people pay tickets to go to..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michelina

Site Supporter
Nov 6, 2003
✟19,733.00
Faith
Catholic
wow you dont see that very much. thats a big jump from orthodoxy to whatever it is he does now eh?
He's started working on the healing ministry staff of Kathryn Kulman (Katherine Kuhlman), who was famous for her condemnation of anti-Catholicism or anti-anything-ism.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.