Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
President Trump has abandoned the idea of releasing proposals to combat gun violence that his White House debated for months following mass shootings in August, according to White House officials and lawmakers, a reversal from the summer when the president insisted he would offer policies to curb firearm deaths.

Making guns illegal won’t reduce gun violence. It will disarm law-abiding citizens, and criminals who want guns will obtain them illegally. For this reason, gun control will actually lead to more gun-related violence, since good people won’t be able to defend themselves from illegally armed criminals.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Making guns illegal won’t reduce gun violence. It will disarm law-abiding citizens, and criminals who want guns will obtain them illegally. For this reason, gun control will actually lead to more gun-related violence, since good people won’t be able to defend themselves from illegally armed criminals.

I didn't see any mention of a complete ban on guns in the article (though I was admittedly skimming it). Some of us support reasonable gun rights but favor an assault rifle ban, so it's not really an all or nothing sort of deal.

Upvote 0

The_Barmecide

Oct 10, 2019
Idaho
✟14,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Upvote 0

The_Barmecide

Oct 10, 2019
Idaho
✟14,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Making guns illegal won’t reduce gun violence.

No one is saying that...but it probably would reduce gun violence just a little. Maybe let a couple kids survive to adulthood who would otherwise have been gunned down for going to school.

It will disarm law-abiding citizens, and criminals who want guns will obtain them illegally.

That's why so many Americans have access to nuclear weapons individually!

For this reason, gun control will actually lead to more gun-related violence, since good people won’t be able to defend themselves from illegally armed criminals.

How would you know? We've never tried it. I mean at this rate we had the most guns and the most mass shootings...so apparently THAT'S not working...

Upvote 0

Rev Life

pro-life values
Nov 1, 2019
Florida
✟8,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
No one is saying that...but it probably would reduce gun violence just a little. Maybe let a couple kids survive to adulthood who would otherwise have been gunned down for going to school.

You make it sound like tens of thousands of school kids are being killed every year in school spree shootings. That isn't true.

How would you know? We've never tried it. I mean at this rate we had the most guns and the most mass shootings...so apparently THAT'S not working...

I know because I've seen it myself. Guns are illegal in Norway, but mass murderer Anders Breivik was easily able to obtain guns illegally. Had guns been legal in that country and one responsible gun owner been present at Utoya Island where the mass shooting took place, he could have shot Breivik in the head and prevented 69 people from being killed. Gun control means law-abiding people won't be able to defend themselves.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I know because I've seen it myself. Guns are illegal in Norway, but mass murderer Anders Breivik was easily able to obtain guns illegally. Had guns been legal in that country and one responsible gun owner been present at Utoya Island where the mass shooting took place, he could have shot Breivik in the head and prevented 69 people from being killed. Gun control means law-abiding people won't be able to defend themselves.

That is not necessarily true. I think you would need genuine military training to know how to react in a situation like that, since there's no reason to think that a panicking civilian would be cool headed enough to successfully put an end to an attempted mass shooting. What happens when a third gun owner suddenly sees two people waving guns around and assumes the second one is an accomplice? What happens when the police arrive on the scene and don't know who is who?

You'd need not only guns, but also mandatory military service if the aim is to have civilians who are able to respond in this sort of scenario.

• Winner
Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0

StromRider

Feb 25, 2005
North Lauderdale, FL
✟129,564.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
You make it sound like tens of thousands of school kids are being killed every year in school spree shootings. That isn't true.

He didn't say that at all. He said maybe a couple of kids could survive. Is that a bad thing? No one is expecting to stop all mass shootings. Yet gun fondlers seem to always say if something won't stop all killings why even try. Why not try something? Is the status quo good?

Just like how all the mass shootings in the US are stopped by good guys with guns? Oh right, they are not. Aside from cherry picking a few specific incidents, other first world countries have far less gun violence than the US. How can you not see that? How can you not understand the staggeringly easy access to guns in the US contributes to the amount of gun violence?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

StromRider

Feb 25, 2005
North Lauderdale, FL
✟129,564.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
That is not necessarily true. I think you would need genuine military training to know how to react in a situation like that, since there's no reason to think that a panicking civilian would be cool headed enough to successfully put an end to an attempted mass shooting. What happens when a third gun owner suddenly sees two people waving guns around and assumes the second one is an accomplice? What happens when the police arrive on the scene and don't know who is who?

Exactly. We've seen 'well trained' cops fire and miss or hit the wrong people. A scenario with mulitiple people deciding to return fire is a disaster in the making.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I didn't know he was actually considering any reforms.

Who knows if he was actually considering reforms... But on a couple occasions after high profile mass murders, he has said he was considering reforms.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Who knows if he was actually considering reforms... But on a couple occasions after high profile mass murders, he has said he was considering reforms.

That seems like the general political go-to on gun reform. They know we don't have any patience and short attention spans.

Just wait for everyone to move onto a fresh outrage.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
It's a sad thing that guns are illegal in the USA, because if there'd been one good guy with a gun in the US, he could've stopped Columbine, Las Vegas, Va Tech, Marshall Co Ky, Sandy Hook, Parkland Fla... etc etc..

Upvote 0

The_Barmecide

Oct 10, 2019
Idaho
✟14,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship

So what is the lower "acceptable" limit? I mean, we all know that America is happy with the lower age limit being elementary school kids, we're more than happy to let them die. So how MANY is the acceptable limit?

I know because I've seen it myself. Guns are illegal in Norway, but mass murderer Anders Breivik was easily able to obtain guns illegally.

Ohmygosh! ONE NUT JOB in Norway ONCE offsets every single week of every single year wherein we average a mass shooting. And that doesnt' even count the gun crime in general.

And when I traveled to Norway I felt safer on average...even in the "bad part of Oslo"... than in most cities in the USA. I was certainly far less likely to be shot in Norway.

Had guns been legal in that country and one responsible gun owner been present at Utoya Island where the mass shooting took place, he could have shot Breivik in the head and prevented 69 people from being killed. Gun control means law-abiding people won't be able to defend themselves.

LOL! How many "good guys with guns" shot down the bad guy in the WalMart shooting...you know, the open carry state of TEXAS where so many manly men carry guns.

Pew! Pew! Good guys with guns there to save the day! Pew! Pew! More like John Wayne Cosplaying for Adults.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: SarahsKnight
Upvote 0

The_Barmecide

Oct 10, 2019
Idaho
✟14,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship

I noted that you misspelled "lied" in the sentence. You spelled it "s-a-i-d".

Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟994,359.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

It shouldn't even be tens of children killed in their schools every year.

Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟994,359.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Pew! Pew! Good guys with guns there to save the day! Pew! Pew! More like John Wayne Cosplaying for Adults.

That's seriously what the half of them seem to act like. Like it's all some big action movie and they're the unkillable hero.

• Agree
Reactions: The_Barmecide
Upvote 0