Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I have been very busy lately with drawing, painting, chores keeping up the house, while resting I get involve in tv shows and movies, I've been watching Star Trek, and a dvd of a classic Robin Hood movie. I like maid Marian's dresses. I have been helping my Dad with around the house upkeep, some stuff the yard needs, some flowers are blooming nice. We have a few rose and the amaryllis bulbs Mom and I planted in the fall are now blooming. I am learning to be a better gardener.

Anyway, I have several stories I started but did not finish. I have dragged out my story about the princess with the rose garden into a novel. I wanted to work on the masquerade story, I finished it but am not happy with the ending. I had a Christmas prodigal daughter story, with a good Christian message. I am going to work on my stories, I'd like to work on the rose garden one.

angelsaroundme

Mar 4, 2020
Georgia
✟141,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I have this issue as well. Find it difficult to feel satisfied with a story so I end up starting another. Probably related to my perfectionism/OCD tendencies. Trying to get over that by being more aware of it. Not everything has to be perfect, most books aren't, even beloved books have valid criticisms against them.

Reactions: Unqualified
Upvote 0

AgapeBible

Aug 26, 2007
USA/Florida
✟44,479.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Thank you for replying. I guess I need to spend more time on my art and stories. Less time on the computer and watching movies, and sleeping. I have nearly finished 2 short stories, I plan to illustrate them. I do have perfectionist tendecies. I am relaxing realizing not everything has to be perfect. I want to use my art books and practice from their instructions instead of drawing from my mind.

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟48,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have been very busy lately with drawing, painting, chores keeping up the house, while resting I get involve in tv shows and movies, I've been watching Star Trek, and a dvd of a classic Robin Hood movie. I like maid Marian's dresses. I have been helping my Dad with around the house upkeep, some stuff the yard needs, some flowers are blooming nice. We have a few rose and the amaryllis bulbs Mom and I planted in the fall are now blooming. I am learning to be a better gardener.

Anyway, I have several stories I started but did not finish. I have dragged out my story about the princess with the rose garden into a novel. I wanted to work on the masquerade story, I finished it but am not happy with the ending. I had a Christmas prodigal daughter story, with a good Christian message. I am going to work on my stories, I'd like to work on the rose garden one.
I have countless stories I haven't finished. I also have others than I have. The difference is that with those I finished, I had a definite conclusion in mind before I began.

I'm not big on outlining, but it has helped salvage two novels that seemed to be going nowhere. Maybe that would work with a short story.

As to the length of a story, sometimes a story grows because it needs that many words to tell. I have a novella that was to be a short story, but became something else. Test readers thought it moved too fast and would be better as a longer yarn. By the same token, I had a short story I tried to make shorter, and it ruined it.

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟418,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wrote a short story in about 10 minutes. It was about the works of the flesh and was very useful to my message…. I found it was helpful to have enough to say to tie it all together. But I think I’m to lazy and too impatient to write a detailed, longer story. It would be a lot of work. If you can’t keep up with your perfectionism, maybe short creativity

which we are known for doing well. A clear picture; a splash of color, and a warm ending Might do nicely.

Upvote 0

RageOfAngels

Sep 1, 2017
Sussex
✟43,564.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I've written 15 novels over the last 10 years. All of them aren't very good, but I've absolutely loved doing them. I've done 11 fantasy novels (wizards, witches etc.) and 4 kids novels about how a boy lives his life in context of his local church.

Regarding how to end a book, I agree. I always think of my books in three parts. The first part is setting up the scene, introducing characters and expanding the story. That takes a bit of time, and can be a bit difficult. The second part is the best part of the book, as anything can happen. Because it's the middle section I can bring in new characters, go off at a tangent or do something really off the wall. I really enjoy that. The third part is the most difficult when you have to bring everything together, making sure that all the loose ends are tied up and the book ends in an enjoyable way. My books tend to be really long (120,000 words) so it can be tricky trying to remember all the things that have to come together at the end.
The easiest book I wrote (in regards to the ending) was my fourth book, where I knew from the very first line where it was going to end. So maybe that's the best way to go for you? Have a definite clear ending, even if you don't know how it's going to get there. It will give you a focus as the story unfolds.

FOOTNOTE
My fourth book was a story with a twist in it. A group of travellers went off to find a book that was mentioned in an ancient scroll. In the end the ancient scroll was a prophetic scroll, and the book they were searching for was the book the star of the story was writing on the journey. I thought that was a fun idea.
I enjoyed it so much I used that sort of idea for my seventh book. A detective tries to solve a murder, only to find out at the end that he was the murderer!

Upvote 0

AgapeBible

Aug 26, 2007
USA/Florida
✟44,479.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
thank you for sugestions and answers. I wrote a plot summary of my rose princess story. I am also working on profiles of the characters. I'm working on writing the story its self, and drawing illustrations. I plan on working on other stories as well. I want to write Bible stories, illustrate bible books.

Upvote 0

linux.poet

Electric Nightfall
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2022
Poway
✟204,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I must admit to never having this problem, as my book ideas usually end up kinda planned out beforehand. I have written at least 5 novel drafts with several improved versions of each concept, and I am rather concerned with finishing. I have had too many failures in my life in other areas.

Sometimes I get scenes for books or book concepts that never develop themselves into a full-on story, however, as I write my books scene by scene. That is okay, as it is wise to let creativity come in its time without rushing the muse.

Upvote 0