• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Triggered today

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I have experienced sexual violation that went on over a period of years when I was growing up. I have been in therapy in one form or another for it since I was 21 years old. I've been medicated, journaled, written, participated in support groups, and continued to seek out counselors and ministers about it because I have never felt that I was completely OK, even though I did get a lot better. I'm generally not afraid of men now. I am able to work with men and have friendships with men. So, I thought that the stronger emotions and uncontrollable reactions were a thing of the past.

Today a mentally disabled person my organization works with got carried away. He was just going to give me a hug like he always does, but he wouldn't let go and he started kissing me. I struggled to get him to let me go. I ended up getting away from him without much damage done, and got help from co-workers.

I was shaking and couldn't breath at first, but all things considered, it didn't take too long for me to pull myself together. Then later, the very next moment that I was alone, I broke down and cried really hard. All the emotions and reactions to men that I had been dealing with and thought were behind me came rushing back.

I'm still not OK from being traumatized when I was a youth.

PropheticTimes

Lord Have Mercy
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2015
Ohio
✟204,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In my experience, we never become totally OK. Something like that would have traumatized anyone, so don't feel bad about your reaction. I think we can get better, to the point that it won't leave us living in terror, but something like that would certainly trigger an emotional overload.

Let Jesus hold you in His arms while you cry. It will be OK.

Reactions: JAM2b
Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
+
✟21,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm sorry. Wish I could give you a hug.... well, maybe that wouldn't be the best idea right now!
Let Jesus hold you in His arms while you cry. It will be OK.
I love that.

Seems like you have tried everything... He knows what you need though. Just seek Him with all you have. I will pray He takes your burdens and heals you. He can use anything for His glory, remember that. And perhaps He will not heal you, but use you to help heal others. I don't know... but i will pray. I hope you feel better soon.

Upvote 0