United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hello! :wave:

I want to ask about the doctrine of total depravity.

From reading my Bible many times, it seems like the doctrine is crystal clear.

We are corrupted in every aspect of life and we cannot save ourselves.

However, I was curious why some Christians rejected total depravity, so I searched around.

I found one Orthodox site where the author disagreed with the doctrine. What he said he believed sounds a lot like total depravity, except he denied that it was human nature. He believed that humans were inherently good and that human nature is to seek out good and be righteous and that sin is a corruption of our human nature.

He further expands on this that Jesus was fully human and fully God. In order to be fully human, he'd need to have human nature, and Jesus never sinned, so our nature is actually inherently good, but it has been severely impacted by sin.

That gave me a new perspective of the doctrine and I still hold it today.

The main question is this, could total depravity have been exaggerated in the Bible. There are verses in the Bible where the speaker or writer seems to exaggerated. "It is easier for a camel to go the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom."

Thoughts?

Reactions: Hank77

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
@FaithfulPilgrim - I think because it is too unbalanced, it ignores that the scripture also says that we are fearfully and wonderfuly made, and first of all made in the image and likeness of God. One passage that helps me separate the sin from the humanity is in Romans 7 where Paul speaks of this sin living in his body making him do wretched things, and concludes it is no longer I who sin but the sin within me. Polemics aside, this idea of a sin that is like an organism separate from creation acting as a parasite, seems to assist with a number of the questions.

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not familiar with how the doctrine is stated. God created Adam with a nature like his own. There is a sense in which we are all still God's creation (Adam didn't decide to give his children lungs, a brain, or that being in good relationships made them more alive than being without any).

Adam's sin was a rejection of God which broke his connection to God, who was his source of life and goodness. More to the point, Adam's inherent nature changed to one without God ("death"). He could no longer have children with his former nature. For God's purpose of creating many in his image (and who knows what other reasons) God very graciously sustained Adam's physical life even though he should have dropped dead, because his sins would be forgiven in Christ (the future payment would apply to all past human sins).

Our "human nature" from God can be considered what Adam's nature was before or after the fall. Each leads to a different chain of thinking. But those of us today have never had the nature Adam did before the fall. However, saved people have had a better nature than Adam before the fall since the coming of the Holy Spirit (although not in regard to our physical realm presence, which remains fully tainted with sin.)

The main question is this, could total depravity have been exaggerated in the Bible. There are verses in the Bible where the speaker or writer seems to exaggerated. "It is easier for a camel to go the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom."
God does not exaggerate anything, although people in Scripture sometimes do.

Regarding the camel and needle verse, Jesus explains it two verses later in each of the accounts (Matthew 19:23-26, Mark 10:23-27, Luke 18:24-27). His explanation means that a camel cannot go through the eye of a needle.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
Lets see what God actually says, these are His words going back a long ways to the beginning.
Total depravity is about the heart of man, but not about the heart of Christ which was pure, Christ was pure in heart when He walked on this earth.
Christ was like an unfallen Adam, Christ could not be touched by the evil one Satan. So then Christ was a pure and perfect human being on this earth.

Genesis 8:21
And the Lord smelled a soothing aroma. Then the Lord said in His heart, “I will never again curse the ground for man’s sake, although the imagination of man’s heart is evil from his youth; nor will I again destroy every living thing as I have done.

If the imagination of your heart is evil from your youth, then that is totally depraved, in the natural state of the heart.

The Lord does not say your imagination has some good and some evil in it.

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
Romans 10:3
For they being ignorant of God’s righteousness, and seeking to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted to the righteousness of God.

An evil heart will not submit itself to the righteousness of God in Christ.
An evil heart seeks to establish it's own righteousness independent of Christ.
An evil heart will not love Christ and the great salvation Christ has made for us to come to the Father.

No one comes to the Father except by Christ.
An evil heart can not enter into the kingdom of God, that is why you must be born again, born from above, born of God to see and enter the kingdom of God.
Not only can you not enter, you can not see the kingdom as in see Christ as God come in the flesh to save you from your evil sinful heart unless you are born of God. To be a member of His called out ones from the world, the ecclesia, you must be born again first.
Whom do men say that I AM, asked Christ? Unless God reveals to you from heaven, that Jesus is the Christ of God you can not be saved.
And you won't see that unless you are born again first.

John 3: 3 Jesus answered and said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.”

Do not marvel that He said you must be born again, the wind of His Spirit blows on you and you are born again from above by Him. With men this is impossible, but with God it is no problem to make you a new creature in Christ.

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Lets see what God actually says, these are His words going back a long ways to the beginning.
Total depravity is about the heart of man, but not about the heart of Christ which was pure, Christ was pure in heart when He walked on this earth.
Christ was like an unfallen Adam, Christ could not be touched by the evil one Satan. So then Christ was a pure and perfect human being on this earth.

Genesis 8:21
And the Lord smelled a soothing aroma. Then the Lord said in His heart, “I will never again curse the ground for man’s sake, although the imagination of man’s heart is evil from his youth; nor will I again destroy every living thing as I have done.

If the imagination of your heart is evil from your youth, then that is totally depraved, in the natural state of the heart.

The Lord does not say your imagination has some good and some evil in it.

It also doesn't say your heart is evil from birth!

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Romans 10:3
For they being ignorant of God’s righteousness, and seeking to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted to the righteousness of God.

An evil heart will not submit itself to the righteousness of God in Christ.
An evil heart seeks to establish it's own righteousness independent of Christ.
An evil heart will not love Christ and the great salvation Christ has made for us to come to the Father.

Which is exactly why we read the following:

Ezekiel 18:31
Cast away from you all the transgressions which you have committed, and get yourselves a new heart and a new spirit.

Ephesians 4:22
that you put off, concerning your former conduct, the old man which grows corrupt according to the deceitful lusts,

James 1:21
Therefore lay aside all filthiness and overflow of wickedness, and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls.

James 4:8
Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded.

Hopefully one day many on this forum will see this light, and understand your evil heart will not save you.

And one more for good measure -

Jeremiah 4:14
O Jerusalem, wash your heart from wickedness, that you may be saved. How long shall your evil thoughts lodge within you?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DingDing

Feb 27, 2016
Florida
✟29,332.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

However, I was curious why some Christians rejected total depravity, so I searched around.

Thoughts?

Hello,

First, remember that "total depravity" is a man-made doctrine. It is how some men have tried to interpret the bible. I, for one, totally disagree with it. And, yes, there are passages throughout the bible which use intentional exaggeration. And some of those are used by the "total depravity" camp.

But I do agree that man cannot save himself. Here is my analogy. Man is like a prisoner; he can recognize he is behind bars, he can desire to be free, but he cannot open the cell door. This is where God steps in. God, through Christ, can open the cell door. Now man can be set free, if he seeks Christ and the freedom to be had through Him.

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
Hello,

First, remember that "total depravity" is a man-made doctrine. It is how some men have tried to interpret the bible. I, for one, totally disagree with it. And, yes, there are passages throughout the bible which use intentional exaggeration. And some of those are used by the "total depravity" camp.

But I do agree that man cannot save himself. Here is my analogy. Man is like a prisoner; he can recognize he is behind bars, he can desire to be free, but he cannot open the cell door. This is where God steps in. God, through Christ, can open the cell door. Now man can be set free, if he seeks Christ and the freedom to be had through Him.

Actually the self righteous unsaved people do not realize they are slaves of sin.

As for the example look at John 8:33 They answered Him, “We are Abraham’s descendants, and have never been in bondage to anyone. How can You say, ‘You will be made free’?”

Those unbelievers refused to believe Satan was their Father.
I bet if you tell most unsaved people Satan is their spiritual father they would refuse you just as they did Christ, who told them the truth they did not want to hear.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I found one Orthodox site where the author disagreed with the doctrine. What he said he believed sounds a lot like total depravity, except he denied that it was human nature. He believed that humans were inherently good and that human nature is to seek out good and be righteous and that sin is a corruption of our human nature.

He further expands on this that Jesus was fully human and fully God. In order to be fully human, he'd need to have human nature, and Jesus never sinned, so our nature is actually inherently good, but it has been severely impacted by sin.

Thoughts?

Let me ask you a few questions:

The Bible does not refer to Adam and Eve’s first sin as a “fall” so why should we?

Adam and Eve sinned with the “nature” they had, so why would our “nature” have to change in order for us to sin?

We know “knowledge” of good and evil was gained for mankind through the eating of the fruit, but is knowledge itself bad to have?

Would it be “fair” for God to give a better “nature” to Adam & Eve than we have?

“Knowledge” of good and evil does provide us with lots more ways to sin and so all mature adults do sin, but is sin the problem or is unforgiven sin the problem?

Do all these “curses” given Adam & Eve and pasted down to man, help or hinder man in his fulfilling his earthly objective?

some scriptures on why I think man is born free of sin so:

Deut. 24:16, "The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin."

2 Kings 14:6, But the children of the murderers he slew not: according unto that which is written in the book of the law of Moses, wherein the LORD commanded, saying, The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, nor the children be put to death for the fathers; but every man shall be put to death for his own sin."

Ezek. 18:20 "The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him."

Ezek.33:20, "Yet ye say, The way of the Lord is not equal. O ye house of Israel, I will judge you every one after his ways."

Jer. 31:29-30 In those days they shall say no more, The fathers have eaten a sour grape, and the children's teeth are set on edge. But every one shall die for his own iniquity: every man that eateth the sour grape, his teeth shall be set on edge."

God tells us that we do not inherit anyone's sin (Ezek. 18:20; cf. 2 Ki. 14:6). We sin after giving into temptation. We are tempted when we are carried away and enticed by our own lusts (Ja. 1:13- 15). Then when sin is accomplished, it brings forth death (Ja. 1:

Jesus teaches us that we must become as little children to enter the kingdom of God (Matt. 18:3- 4; Lk. 18:16-17) ---- we must be as infants regarding evil (1 Cor. 14:20). Therefore, babies are born without sin. If they die, they are safe, because they have no sin

Ps 22 Yet you are he who took me from the womb;

you made me trust you at my mother's breasts.

On you was I cast from my birth,

and from my mother's womb you have been my God.

This Psalms 51:5 is often used as the “proof text” for man being born a sinner: Psalm 51:5 - "Behold, I was shapen in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me." KJV

The problem is this is not talking about “David” being the sinner at conception, but his “mother” being the sinner at his conception. This is a very poetic verse, so it is hard to take everything literally, but if his mother is the issue with him baring the burden of original sin then Christ would have the same issue? The Jews have a very lengthy ancient oral tradition about David’s mother that would explain this verse, but it is not in scripture. In scripture David refers to his mother twice as being extremely Spiritual and does not talk about his father in such positive ways.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
He believed that humans were inherently good and that human nature is to seek out good and be righteous and that sin is a corruption of our human nature.
When God did His creating, He said it was "very good". I do not think what is "very good" by nature could of its own nature choose to sin. And Paul says all have sinned and no one seeks God. So, I personally understand that Adam and Eve were first somehow corrupted from being good, so then they did their evil . . . because of "the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience" (in Ephesians 2:2).

I think a number of people who believe in total depravity do not understand totally depravity to mean only that all humans are totally evil. But ones who disagree with them are the ones who are claiming this is what they mean!

What ones really may believe totally depraved means is that humans are evil, yes, but maybe not totally; but they are totally depraved in the sense that they are totally dependent on if and how God would change us to truly love Him and choose to obey Him.

Upvote 0

DingDing

Feb 27, 2016
Florida
✟29,332.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Actually the self righteous unsaved people do not realize they are slaves of sin.

As for the example look at John 8:33 They answered Him, “We are Abraham’s descendants, and have never been in bondage to anyone. How can You say, ‘You will be made free’?”

Those unbelievers refused to believe Satan was their Father.
I bet if you tell most unsaved people Satan is their spiritual father they would refuse you just as they did Christ, who told them the truth they did not want to hear.

Some people do deceive themselves by thinking they are right with God, but this is not the case with all people.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When God did His creating, He said it was "very good". I do not think what is "very good" by nature could of its own nature choose to sin. And Paul says all have sinned and no one seeks God. So, I personally understand that Adam and Eve were first somehow corrupted from being good, so then they did their evil . . . because of "the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience" (in Ephesians 2:2).

“Very Good” is not the same as being perfect like Christ is perfect, so could “very good” mean as good as God could make a created being?

Would God not have to allow the “corruption” to take place in Adam and Eve, so it would be part of His “very good” in His creation?

Are there things God just could not do since it would be impossible to do with Adam and Eve? Ex. God could not create a being that has always existed.

Upvote 0

Geralt

Unsurpassed Сasual Dating - Verified Women
Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2016
GB
Visit site
✟67,802.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
evil is not defined by something you do. before the action there is the desire.
and it is this corruption, that people left to themselves without the providence of God, will self-destruct.

Gen 6:5 The LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.​

1. the problem with arguments posted here is that man is basically good in the assumption God is a passive observer, God has nothing to do with it and man is simply, independently good. this is pelagian, and is the very basic error of the assumption that man is inherently good

2. now i do agree man can perform good deeds, but then again their motives are not necessarily for the glory of God, much less thinking about God in the first place. the evil is in the thoughts of the heart primarily, and not the actions that results from it.

3. if you want a sweeping statement about whether humanity is basically good then quote Jesus, Luke 18:19

NO ONE is good except God alone. that single statement alone blasts the arian/unitarian position that christ is merely a created human which concludes he is not God therefore is not good, therefore imperfect, blemished , sinful sacrifice-> which leaves you with no atonement nor salvation. however the other generalization is that NO ONE is good.

and there lies the corruption, for in reality and left to ourselves, no one desires to give God the glory, 1 Cor 10:31 , and yet still call themselves good and feel good about it.

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
evil is not defined by something you do. before the action there is the desire.
and it is this corruption, that people left to themselves without the providence of God, will self-destruct.

Gen 6:5 The LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.​

1. the problem with arguments posted here is that man is basically good in the assumption God is a passive observer, God has nothing to do with it and man is simply, independently good. this is pelagian, and is the very basic error of the assumption that man is inherently good

2. now i do agree man can perform good deeds, but then again their motives are not necessarily for the glory of God, much less thinking about God in the first place. the evil is in the thoughts of the heart primarily, and not the actions that results from it.

3. if you want a sweeping statement about whether humanity is basically good then quote Jesus, Luke 18:19

NO ONE is good except God alone. that single statement alone blasts the arian/unitarian position that christ is merely a created human which concludes he is not God therefore is not good, therefore imperfect, blemished , sinful sacrifice-> which leaves you with no atonement nor salvation. however the other generalization is that NO ONE is good.

and there lies the corruption, for in reality and left to ourselves, no one desires to give God the glory, 1 Cor 10:31 , and yet still call themselves good and feel good about it.

Another good one about man
John 2:25
The Discerner of Hearts
23 Now when He was in Jerusalem at the Passover, during the feast, many believed in His name when they saw the signs which He did. 24 But Jesus did not commit Himself to them, because He knew all men, 25 and had no need that anyone should testify of man, for He knew what was in man.

And this
Matthew 16:23
But He turned and said to Peter, “Get behind Me, Satan! You are an offense to Me, for you are not mindful of the things of God, but the things of men.”

There exists an alignment between the interests of men and the interests of Satan.
Jesus said unsaved men desire to do the will of Satan.

John 8:44 You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do.

Those He spoke this to, considered themselves blessed of God.

I am convinced God restrains the wicked, both demon and mankind. He even binds them to His will, in that He works all things as Ephesians 1:11 says.

When Jesus spoke of binding the strong man to plunder His house, He spoke from experience.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
“Very Good” is not the same as being perfect like Christ is perfect, so could “very good” mean as good as God could make a created being?
Certainly, "very good" does not mean perfectly good like Jesus. So, this is a good point I think you are making :)

It means as good as God chose to make His creation, I would say. And my opinion is that God never meant for any human created to be the first truly perfect one on this earth. But He always intended for Jesus to be the first > I say this, as an application of Colossians 1:18 which says Jesus all along was meant to have the "preeminence" "in all things".

Would God not have to allow the “corruption” to take place in Adam and Eve, so it would be part of His “very good” in His creation?
I think Adam and Eve, at first, were not corrupted, but were created out of something which is less than God and therefore not strong enough to keep itself from being corrupted to a lower nature. And "the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience" (in Ephesians 2:2) did corrupt Adam and Eve into a lower and then a disobedient nature. And this shows our need for Jesus, who alone can change us to become incorruptible, with His own immunity almighty against howsoever Satan's spirit of selfishness and evil and disobedience would effect us. And I offer that 1 Peter 3:4 gives us an indication of how we can in this life become more and more incorruptible so Satanic feelings and thinking with stinking and dominating and dictatorial emotions can not corrupt us >

"rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God." (1 Peter 3:4)

In God's own incorruptible love > His gentle and quiet love > we have His own almighty power with sweetly soothing immunity against any and all sin-sick stuff.

Only in God's gentle and quiet love, not by means of our human free wills, we can become incorruptible against how Satan's spirit of disobedience messes people. And this has to do with what I understand "total depravity" means. It is not only about being fully evil. Because Paul says ones in sin "will grow worse and worse" (in 2 Timothy 3:13), which to me means they can become more totally ruined. But "totally depraved" rightfully means totally dependent . . . meaning how of our own selves we can not get ourselves to be really right and obedient > and I see support of this through 2 Corinthians 3:5 which says we are not "sufficient of ourselves". Only in God's grace do we have sufficiency > 2 Corinthians 12:7-10. And Romans 6:17 says the thanks is to God; there is no credit to what we got ourselves to do < Romans 6:17 says we had been "slaves" of sin > we were not free; so I understand this means our wills were not free, in sin.

But I do understand that God created man with free will; but what happened to that freedom, in the fall of Adam and Eve??

Are there things God just could not do since it would be impossible to do with Adam and Eve? Ex. God could not create a being that has always existed.
Now, in our resurrection, God can make us eternal in His incorruptible being shared with us. He can share :)

"But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him." (1 Corinthians 6:17)

When a person trusts in Jesus (Ephesians 1:12) and gets saved by Jesus, the person becomes "one spirit with Him." And then is when we can spiritually share with God Himself in us > in His own love > Romans 5:5, and how His love more and more shares with each of us His own fullness > Ephesians 3:19. So, our wills, then, are not free from God in us!!! And this is very good . . . so much more than the "very good" of His creation!!!

What happened with Adam and Eve, then, I would say, is an object lesson of how we need God Himself and no less. Even being a perfectly made creature is not enough; they were perfectly made, yet even they fell to Satan. So, how could we in our human free wills be superior to Adam and Eve so we would do any better . . . I consider? Any effort in our own free will is helpless, not to mention how already humans in their free will have been infected by the spirit of disobedience > Ephesians 2:2, Ephesians 2:3. I think we can see how even little babies already are in slavery to their demanding and won't-take-no-for-an-answer lusts for different things they treasure. And then, in our older years, we can be unable to say no to sexual drives and nicotine and other things, especially of pleasure and excitement. And there is food abuse, with unforgiveness and bitterness and controlling and possessing spirit in our relating. Ones claiming to have free will are not doing very well in choosing to only obey how our Heavenly Father rules us in His own peace. And ones are not doing well with choosing to do only what Jesus guides us to do with "rest for your souls." (in Matthew 11:28-30)

But we can argue our ideas, having enough control to do that!!

So, whatever we believe, God needs to become our treasure, and loving any and all people needs to become included in our most valued success and prosperity.

So, I think "total depravity" rightfully means how we have not been able to get our own selves to first treasure God and so value lovingly caring for any and all people. And we see our failure and now we submit to you, O God our Father, for Your correction (Hebrews 12:4-11) which brings Your love's perfection > 1 John 4:17.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Thoughts?
The difference can be subtle. The doctrine of total depravity excludes man's free will too completely, leaving no room for God to draw or elicit a free response from man. In the old churches, man cannot possibly be saved without God, just like a camel cannot pass through the eye of a needle, yet God won't force man to be saved. So God might employ circumstances and grace to, for example, save the rich man by pulling him away from the "deceptiveness of wealth" that gives us a false sense of security and status, aka "pride", which opposes God by its nature. Perhaps the loss of a child, or other such disappointments and sufferings that life can throw at us. Some will harden their hearts while others may come to melt, recognizing their need for God and the futility of finding ultimate happiness here in worldly things. In Calvinism, God throws the life-saver, places it on man, and reels him in. In other theologies, God throws the life saver and then expects man to grab hold, even as He, with wisdom, judiciousness, patience, and grace, aids man in even that effort.

Man is wounded and corrupted and weakened in his falleness, but not by inheriting a "sin nature" but by simply being "free" from and exiled from God, 'Apart from Whom he can do nothing' to paraphrase John 15:5 but 'with Whom all things are possible-Matt 19:26- even saving a rich man. It's all a matter of the will. As Adam willed to disobey, we must learn to reverse that decision within ourselves, to turn back to the God that humanity abandoned and left behind in Eden as we come to acknowledge again His existence and goodness and trustworthiness-of our absolute need for Him. Sometimes we must be broken first in order to garner the humility needed to realize this change of heart. Sometimes we might even need to be broken more, if, as believers, we haven't really grown as close to God as we think we already are.

Anyway, Jesus came to rectify man's lost condition, by reconciling man with God by revealing His true nature and will in and by everything He said and did. Jesus reveals the Father, so that we may know Him again, and so that we may, once recognizing Him as the time becomes ripe, run like Prodigals back into His open arms.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Certainly, "very good" does not mean perfectly good like Jesus. So, this is a good point I think you are making :)

It means as good as God chose to make His creation, I would say. And my opinion is that God never meant for any human created to be the first truly perfect one on this earth. But He always intended for Jesus to be the first > I say this, as an application of Colossians 1:18 which says Jesus all along was meant to have the "preeminence" "in all things".

Thank you for getting back with me on this.

You said: “…as good as God chose to make His creation” but also later say: “Even being a perfectly made creature is not enough; they were perfectly made…”, so which is it?

Is saying “…as good as God chose to make His creation” the same as saying “as good as God could make them”?

If you say: “God held back making humans as good as He could and chose to make them less than he could have made them” then this God is contrary to a totally unselfish type God and totally unselfish would be the ultimate in Love, so is that the God you worship?

Could God make beings just like Jesus from their day one or is there something that Jesus had besides being a non-created being that God could not create (instinctively) in man?

We really need to understand “man’s objective” to know if man was made as good as God could make him to fulfill his objective, so what do you see as “man’s objective? (Please do not just say: “to bring glory to God” since a tree brings glory to God by being a tree.)

I think Adam and Eve, at first, were not corrupted, but were created out of something which is less than God and therefore not strong enough to keep itself from being corrupted to a lower nature. And "the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience" (in Ephesians 2:2) did corrupt Adam and Eve into a lower and then a disobedient nature. And this shows our need for Jesus, who alone can change us to become incorruptible, with His own immunity almighty against howsoever Satan's spirit of selfishness and evil and disobedience would effect us. And I offer that 1 Peter 3:4 gives us an indication of how we can in this life become more and more incorruptible so Satanic feelings and thinking with stinking and dominating and dictatorial emotions can not corrupt us >

I agree Adam and Eve started out uncorrupted, what is this one quality that is “less than God” which allowed them to be corrupted and why was it not given to them?

"rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God." (1 Peter 3:4)

In God's own incorruptible love > His gentle and quiet love > we have His own almighty power with sweetly soothing immunity against any and all sin-sick stuff.

Only in God's gentle and quiet love, not by means of our human free wills, we can become incorruptible against how Satan's spirit of disobedience messes people. And this has to do with what I understand "total depravity" means. It is not only about being fully evil. Because Paul says ones in sin "will grow worse and worse" (in 2 Timothy 3:13), which to me means they can become more totally ruined. But "totally depraved" rightfully means totally dependent . . . meaning how of our own selves we can not get ourselves to be really right and obedient > and I see support of this through 2 Corinthians 3:5 which says we are not "sufficient of ourselves". Only in God's grace do we have sufficiency > 2 Corinthians 12:7-10. And Romans 6:17 says the thanks is to God; there is no credit to what we got ourselves to do < Romans 6:17 says we had been "slaves" of sin > we were not free; so I understand this means our wills were not free, in sin.

You say: “total depravity is not only about being fully evil”. So do you believe a baby even prior to birth is “fully evil”?

You say: “"totally depraved" rightfully means totally dependent…”, but animals are totally dependent on God for the air they breathe so are they “totally depraved”?

We, as mature adults, can see from the Adam & Eve story and life itself and realize we cannot of our own power be consistently obedient to God, be righteous, be holy, and/or be acceptable, but would that have to mean an innocent baby, who has not sinned yet, is evil?

Does the fact that; I cannot freely fly around the room; mean I do not have free will in other areas?

If it does mean I can still have free will then the fact I cannot keep from never sinning, would not mean I do not have free will in other areas?

But I do understand that God created man with free will; but what happened to that freedom, in the fall of Adam and Eve??

The Bible does not refer to Adam and Eve’s first sin as a “fall” so why should we?

Adam and Eve sinned with the “nature” they had, so why would our “nature” have to change in order for us to sin?

We know “knowledge” of good and evil was gained for mankind through the eating of the fruit, but is knowledge itself bad to have?

Would it be “fair” for God to give a better “nature” to Adam & Eve than we have?

“Knowledge” of good and evil does provide us with lots more ways to sin and so all mature adults do sin, but is sin the problem or is unforgiven sin the problem?

Now, in our resurrection, God can make us eternal in His incorruptible being shared with us. He can share :)

"But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him." (1 Corinthians 6:17)

When a person trusts in Jesus (Ephesians 1:12) and gets saved by Jesus, the person becomes "one spirit with Him." And then is when we can spiritually share with God Himself in us > in His own love > Romans 5:5, and how His love more and more shares with each of us His own fullness > Ephesians 3:19. So, our wills, then, are not free from God in us!!! And this is very good . . . so much more than the "very good" of His creation!!!

That did not answer the question: Are there things God just could not do since it would be impossible to do with Adam and Eve? Ex. God could not create a being that has always existed.

What happened with Adam and Eve, then, I would say, is an object lesson of how we need God Himself and no less. Even being a perfectly made creature is not enough; they were perfectly made, yet even they fell to Satan. So, how could we in our human free wills be superior to Adam and Eve so we would do any better . . . I consider? Any effort in our own free will is helpless, not to mention how already humans in their free will have been infected by the spirit of disobedience > Ephesians 2:2, Ephesians 2:3. I think we can see how even little babies already are in slavery to their demanding and won't-take-no-for-an-answer lusts for different things they treasure. And then, in our older years, we can be unable to say no to sexual drives and nicotine and other things, especially of pleasure and excitement. And there is food abuse, with unforgiveness and bitterness and controlling and possessing spirit in our relating. Ones claiming to have free will are not doing very well in choosing to only obey how our Heavenly Father rules us in His own peace. And ones are not doing well with choosing to do only what Jesus guides us to do with "rest for your souls." (in Matthew 11:28-30)

But we can argue our ideas, having enough control to do that!!

Babies are for a very good reason instinctively self-desirous, so does that make them evil? And if you say yes, would the baby not even born yet also be evil? Do you think that is the way God views these humans? Jonah 4:11 And should I not have concern for the great city of Nineveh, in which there are more than a hundred and twenty thousand people who cannot tell their right hand from their left…

So, whatever we believe, God needs to become our treasure, and loving any and all people needs to become included in our most valued success and prosperity.

So, I think "total depravity" rightfully means how we have not been able to get our own selves to first treasure God and so value lovingly caring for any and all people. And we see our failure and now we submit to you, O God our Father, for Your correction (Hebrews 12:4-11) which brings Your love's perfection > 1 John 4:17.

“Total Depravity” has to do with the child at conception due to Adam & Eve’s sinning being totally sinful (hell or purgatory bound) and continuing that way until God changes him/her. It is not just; the lacking of Loving God and others. A child has to grow to the maturity to even know to Love God and others.

Do you have to first sin to become a slave to sin or are we just born that way (which would really make it God’s fault)?

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You said: “…as good as God chose to make His creation” but also later say: “Even being a perfectly made creature is not enough; they were perfectly made…”, so which is it?
I mean perfectly in how He formed them, not in how they were in their nature of what He used to form them. So, both things above which you quoted are referring to the same thing :) < talking about how well He formed them, not talking about the nature of what He used.

If you say: “God held back making humans as good as He could and chose to make them less than he could have made them” then this God is contrary to a totally unselfish type God and totally unselfish would be the ultimate in Love, so is that the God you worship?
He started with humans being less than He could have made them, but now we can become all we can be, by means of Jesus. So, He is not selfish, if He has given us His own Son and now we can be transformed into the image of Jesus > Romans 8:29. So, no I do not worship a selfish god.

Could God make beings just like Jesus from their day one or is there something that Jesus had besides being a non-created being that God could not create (instinctively) in man?
I think I have offered enough in the above comment.

We really need to understand “man’s objective” to know if man was made as good as God could make him to fulfill his objective, so what do you see as “man’s objective? (Please do not just say: “to bring glory to God” since a tree brings glory to God by being a tree.)
Romans 9 shows how God is our Potter, and He has vessels for honor and for dishonor. A vessel has a purpose. We humans can understand this, from how we create vessels for holding different things and for transporting different sorts of materials in different and specialized vessels. You can understand that you are not going to use a sewer pot for drinking water.

Satan is a vessel for carrying the "spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience" (Ephesians 2:2) to the flaming sewer which burns with fire and brimstone. His spirit is very nasty filth of boredom and loneliness and hurts and unforgiveness and bitterness and arguing and complaining and abusive stuff of nasty angry reacting and dominating and dictatorial drives for pleasures. That stuff does not belong in any human; yet, ones are volunteering and excusing themselves to keep on being vessels of such nasty stuff.

So, yes there are humans who are vessels of what is not God's love. They serve to help to transport it to the flaming sewer.

So, I can see how God is organized, the God of order. He has vessels for different purposes.

I agree Adam and Eve started out uncorrupted, what is this one quality that is “less than God” which allowed them to be corrupted and why was it not given to them?
What I understand is that Adam and Eve were human in spiritual nature. And the human spiritual nature is weaker than God and can be corrupted. But, also, the human spirit can be transformed into the likeness of Jesus.

You say: “total depravity is not only about being fully evil”. So do you believe a baby even prior to birth is “fully evil”?
I mean it does not mean fully evil, but fully dependent. I do not mean fully dependent and fully evil :)

You say: “"totally depraved" rightfully means totally dependent…”, but animals are totally dependent on God for the air they breathe so are they “totally depraved”?
I am talking about being fully dependent, spiritually, so we need how only God's grace is able to change us to become like Jesus. I am not talking about how creatures depend materially on God for things of this life.

We, as mature adults, can see from the Adam & Eve story and life itself and realize we cannot of our own power be consistently obedient to God, be righteous, be holy, and/or be acceptable, but would that have to mean an innocent baby, who has not sinned yet, is evil?
I said, I mean dependent. Now, though, if an unborn is infected by the spirit of sin from the baby's parents, then "the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience" (in Ephesians 2:2) can be already infecting the baby, in the womb; and so, the baby can have started in having this wrong spirit, before birth. But if case this is so, the infection of sin has only gotten started, not matured like how older people can "become worse and worse, deceiving and being deceived" (in 2 Timothy 3:13). So, no a baby is not already fully evil. But he or she could get started if parents in sin have conceived. Right in the conception, that wrong spirit of self-involvement can get started. Then, as the person develops, there is more and more for the wrong spirit to work in.

But we have what happened, when John the Baptist was filled with the Holy Spirit, right from the womb. He could know who Jesus is, even before he was born . . . not being only about himself, but being filled with God's Holy Spirit!

Does the fact that; I cannot freely fly around the room; mean I do not have free will in other areas?
:) Now, this is correct, but how are you going to apply this, please? :) You might begin with a correct statement, but possibly how you apply it should not be known by the company it keeps!

If it does mean I can still have free will then the fact I cannot keep from never sinning, would not mean I do not have free will in other areas?
If you can sin, your ability to sin can effect all areas, though this may not be obvious. For one sort of an example, your weakness for a wrong pleasure can moonlight as weakness making you able to suffer in various emotional torments which might not involve obvious sinning.

I understand "fall" to be an image, not necessarily a perfect representation. Paul does say the Galatians fell from grace. So, I can see that people who know the Bible have derived "fall" from Paul's use of "fallen from grace", in Galatians chapter one.

So, what wording would you use, please?

With the nature they had, they were weak enough to become corrupted, so then they were of a fallen or corrupted nature which then did sin. In their human nature before the fall they were not choosing to sin. So, I consider that they were first corrupted, then they were able to choose to sin.

I don't think the knowledge of good and evil is bad. But their disobedience was the problem. And the evil spirit of disobedience (Ephesians 2:2) who had them eat it was the real problem; we see how people in sin can totally see good and evil in a bad way. They even can hate rain and call it "bad weather" . . . when in fact we need God's blessing of rain, in order keep alive on this planet. So, they were feeding on knowledge of good and evil in an evil way, how Satan's evil spirit had them seeing things the wrong way.

For another example > people can know good and bad things, but then their spirit of worry has them taking things in a totally wrong way, instead of how in God's love we can creatively handle any problem or nicer thing, and use it to do His loving.

Also, men can see woman as being good, but only or mainly in terms of what they look like, instead of evaluating if and how we share in real love. The spirit of evil has people mainly focusing on how a woman looks and acts and tones her voice, instead of seeing how we need to learn how to love.

So, the problem is not in knowing anything, but how we see it and what we do with it.

I think that is not the point. What we can benefit from is the fact that Adam and Eve started out better than we have; and yet even they of their own selves did not have what it takes to stand against Satan. This can help us to humble ourselves and see how we so need God.

both

Even if you don't know something is sin, still you are being effected by the wrong spirit witch has you sinning. And that spirit can mess us with all sorts of personality torments . . . while we are living selfishly for pleasures and control, instead of being strong in Jesus and His all-loving love.

That did not answer the question: Are there things God just could not do since it would be impossible to do with Adam and Eve? Ex. God could not create a being that has always existed.
I have offered my theory about "vessels". This can apply, here :)

Babies are for a very good reason instinctively self-desirous, so does that make them evil? And if you say yes, would the baby not even born yet also be evil? Do you think that is the way God views these humans? Jonah 4:11 And should I not have concern for the great city of Nineveh, in which there are more than a hundred and twenty thousand people who cannot tell their right hand from their left…
So, yes God sees if we are evil or not; and He has compassion on us. And this is our example, of how He wants us to see people, if indeed we know they are wrong.

"He can have compassion on those who are ignorant and going astray, since he himself is also subject to weakness." (Hebrews 5:2)

I can see that if even little children can quickly start to show very self-involved stuff and can be even very clever at controlling and competing, this can mean they got a head-start in sin, even before they were born. And ones can be very clever, it seems, without any training; so I see that could be because Satan's spirit is clever and conniving and he is able to share this with even very little children . . . without their needing any training.

“Total Depravity” has to do with the child at conception due to Adam & Eve’s sinning being totally sinful (hell or purgatory bound) and continuing that way until God changes him/her. It is not just; the lacking of Loving God and others. A child has to grow to the maturity to even know to Love God and others.
A child needs to grow and develop in order to know who his or her parents are, too. And even after a child does know how his or her parents care for him or her, the child can ignore their love; among other things, children can trash their parents' love and caring, by smoking. So, even with much development, one in sin can then have more developed ways of rejecting how others care for him or her.

Like I offer > God has vessels for different purposes. I offer this, in consideration of Romans chapter nine, and how in various places in the Bible we see how God uses evil people for His intentions. Genesis 37-50 is an excellent example of how God who "is love" (1 John 4:8 & 1 John 4:16) used Joseph's situation for God's all-loving purpose. So, if you throw God out and just make Him an intellectual toy and then criticize Him, you are missing out on Him as our greatest Resource and the only One who can change an evil person.

And if we make ourselves the judges of God, we are keeping ourselves from our greatest Resource. If He knows babies are in sin in the womb, it helps to know what He knows so we can know what is needed. Or else, we can pretend in denial that babies' sin problems are just natural and medical, in witch case we are not going to seek how God alone can take care of our problems really right.

Do you have to first sin to become a slave to sin or are we just born that way (which would really make it God’s fault)?
First, it is not God's fault.

I understand that if someone is connected with "the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience" (in Ephesians 2:2), then the person is in more or less slavery to that evil spirit of selfishness with its fears and torments and pleasure seeking. And then the actions come, because of being a slave. Slaves own actions do not put them into slavery. They are in slavery, then they do actions of their slavery.

People accuse God about this. And Paul answers this, in Romans chapter nine.

Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The main question is this, could total depravity have been exaggerated in the Bible.
Total depravity cannot be exaggerated in the Bible, but it has been exaggerated by Reformed Theology and Calvinism. Total depravity does NOT mean that sinners cannot respond to the Gospel, and therefore they must be born again before they can believe. That would be putting the cart before the horse. Sinners are born again AFTER they repent and believe the Gospel. That is clear from Scripture.

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. (Acts 2:38).

Upvote 0