Status
Not open for further replies.

JacobHall86

Calvin is 500 years old, Calvinism is eternal!
Apr 27, 2006
ATL
✟20,536.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well, since I have not worn a shoe or belt bomb or killed hundreds of innocent people, and thats something that hte terrorists are known for, I would say its better to have bad things happen to them than to us.

Would you rather a bad thing happen to a law abiding citizen or to someone who thinks its ok to kill people based on race?

Upvote 0

bunced

Apr 4, 2007
✟5,413.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
So it is OK to sink to the level of torture in order to protect law abiding citizens?

Doing such a thing cheapens any society that practices it and it means the terrorists will have won, because we would have gone against the Western values which they abhor

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟434,119.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Well, since I have not worn a shoe or belt bomb or killed hundreds of innocent people, and thats something that hte terrorists are known for, I would say its better to have bad things happen to them than to us.

Would you rather a bad thing happen to a law abiding citizen or to someone who thinks its ok to kill people based on race?
Sure, I would prefer that bad things happen to bad people, instead of good people.
Now, please help me understand how to use this principle as a moral guide concerning torture. Can I do anything that I feel is neccesary to a "bad" person?

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟434,119.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Who am I to tell you what you can and cant do?
We're talking about morality here, not who's permission I might need. Did you notice that the entire thread is about the morality of torture?
Here, I'll rephrase: do you find it morally acceptable that I do anything that I feel is neccesary to a "bad" person?

Upvote 0

JacobHall86

Calvin is 500 years old, Calvinism is eternal!
Apr 27, 2006
ATL
✟20,536.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
We're talking about morality here, not who's permission I might need. Did you notice that the entire thread is about the morality of torture?
Here, I'll rephrase: do you find it morally acceptable that I do anything that I feel is neccesary to a "bad" person?

Its not a blanket statement that I can make. If a bad person to you is someone who raped your wife (God forbid, its an example not me wishing anything of the sort) and you beat him without mercy until he died, I would not say you are immoral for it.

But if someone was beaten to death for stealing a muffin, I would say it was wrong.

Its dependant on the situation.

So I do not see a moral problem with torturing a terrorist.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.