Sep 28, 2004
Floating in Cyberspace
✟431.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello,

I am too shy to witness. I feel so awkward and blush whenever I talk about Jesus or God to someone else, like it is private. (NOT like I am ashamed of Him, no way!) Sometimes I get frustrated because I can't seem to put what I'm thinking into words and then the person I'm talking to thinks I'm irritated with them (I'm not. I'm annoyed with my self!)

I feel so guilty because I feel like I'm just not a bold witness for the Lord. How can I overcome this horrible shyness? How can I witness freely without it being artificial or forced? I don't want to turn un-believers off from the Lord by being pushy about "religion" (as they would see things).

Any advice? Nothing hokey like passing out tracts, that stuff just doesn't seem to go over well in cosmopolitan upper-class areas. Thank you.

KTanner

Apr 3, 2006
California
Visit site
✟7,807.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Believe it or not track can help depending on the track. Other then that Pray God well be with you, take a friend with you who might be able to help.... Come to think of it Some one once said just go out and start talking to people about the weather or sports and do this every day until your not shy to talk to people then slowly start bring up Christ.

Upvote 0

Sharky

Rockin dude!
Jul 5, 2002
Visit site
✟7,782.00
Faith
Christian
I think all of us have fear.

What i love doing is having a faithful friend with me. It helps alot if you have someone with you when witnessing.

The other option is to let love swallow your fears. get into the mindset of something like "Worst happens to me, i'll be told i'm a jerk. The worst that'll happen to them, eternity in hell" and let that drive you forward.

When i first started street witnessing, i was so scared i couldn't talk to nearly 25 people i walked past. My mouth just stopped. That's why i had a friend with a camera recording my moves so it was added pressure to get me to open my mouth.

I don't recommend doing that :). There's no easy way to get over fear, it just takes practice. Eventually, it'll be second nature to open up a conversation with someone and you can pretty much do it anywhere without going red all the time.

The hardest and scariest part is always starting up a conversation. After you get past that bit, all the fear goes away as you witness. I don't think anyone has even called me a jerk yet when starting up a conversation about God.

Upvote 0

blairellis

Apr 24, 2006
VA Beach
Visit site
✟7,701.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Prayer is a great place to start out for sure.

The thing that I have found out to be true, but I am guilty of not always applying, is go do something. ACTION CURES FEAR. (the Bible verse you might apply here is faith without works is dead) You do something enough times, it becomes natural to you. The key here is dont stop though. You stop for a few days, and your right back to where you started, sometimes worse off. Heres the good thing though, we serve a God of grace, and if we did it the first time, well learn from our struggles and negative points from that first time and do it even better the second time around :)

Upvote 0

meekgirl

Dec 12, 2009
✟7,613.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you have a computer and Internet? If you do you could always try going to sites like facebook, yahoo answers and other sites where you can write something or comment on something. I'm shy as well,so every now and then I will go to facebook and write something like God is real, Jesus is the son of God. I probably should do it more than I do it now.

Upvote 0

rgoldb02

Sep 14, 2012
✟15,127.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Where to begin??? My advice to you is start praying. The best advice I will ever give you about your shyness and about the last comment is that you need to step out of God's way. Die to yourself and truly give yourself to God because it seems to me you are still concerned on wordly things such as what others will think of you, offending non-believers, and your image. You believe in God good step forward but you are missing everything he is asking you to do. If you are a Christian, not just by name you can't cower and worry about these things. Do you think everyone loved and cared about Jesus? Do you think it was so easy for him? Start off by talking to others who believe and build your faith, read the bible to help root the support needed to give facts to non-believers. Believers or non-believers that you talk to, if the topic comes up talk don't rely on someone else to do the job, God places you in situations because that is your calling. Don't give the job to someone else. I'm way too shy myself but I give everything I have when the topic comes up. Let that burning passion come out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

coreya

Aug 27, 2012
SE Wisconsin
✟7,782.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The other option is to let love swallow your fears. get into the mindset of something like "Worst happens to me, i'll be told i'm a jerk. The worst that'll happen to them, eternity in hell" and let that drive you forward.

Amen! This really puts things into perspective.

My whole life, I have been the same way, even though I knew I was supposed to be witenessing (Jesus tells us to do this and he is the perfect example).

I have actually created a website with people just like you and me in mind (http://www.toolsforchrist.com). The mission is to "Provide Christians with tools to be witnesses of Jesus, without the need to say a word."

This will allow others to come to you as well. God does not need us to witness, he chooses to use us because he loves us. Rember that God is with you. Every challenge he puts in front of you, when you witness is for your good.

Good luck, and keep us updated on your success.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michele B

Jan 17, 2013
✟7,802.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi, "Fire."

I think your best option at this time is to get into the Word.....the closer you are to God, the more people will see Christ IN YOU! Then, you will begin to develop the fruit of the Spirit, and others will see Christ, and ASK YOU what is up!

That gives you an opportunity to share with them what happened to you (in being saved). See? Simple! Don't try to do something horribly frightening like standing up in front of a whole congregation and preaching....just share YOUR story, when asked.

Secondly, I would look for an evangelism class being taught at a good, Bible-based church. Believe it or not, they can give you tools and practice that will help you become less scared while they take you out 2x2 (someone already suggested that!). But it's difficult to do on your own, because if someone asks a question, or poses an objection you can't answer, it can derail you and make your shyness even worse!

So, first: Pray for wisdom from God - who gives liberally. Second: Study your Bible and learn more about Jesus and be ready to share what has happened to you!

I guarantee if you do those two things, God will present opportunities for you to share the gospel with others, without you having to go out and beat the bushes looking for them!

God Bless you.

MB

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MZS

May 18, 2009
✟15,214.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am pretty shy too. But you can witness. Pray about it before you try. Then wait for God to lead you to the right person. With respect to tracts, a lot of them are pretty silly I agree, but not all. Steps to Peace With God by Billy Graham is very good, and does not cost too much (10 cents each). You can buy at a Christian bookstore or online at Christianbook.com

Upvote 0

smithed64

To Die is gain, To Live is Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 2, 2013
Chattanooga, Tennessee
✟41,497.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Hello Fire,
Most of all these suggestions are right. Especially about Prayer first and reading God's Word daily. You will find that strength and courage will grow the more you do both of those things. Remember reading God's word is to be like food for us. You don't think about sitting down to eat do ya? So from now on...No read..No feed. Read a chapter before each meal. Pray before you read, asking God to give you knowledge, let the fear of God give you that. We aren't to have fear of others, but of the one who can send us to Hell. That fear will motivate you to read and to pray never ceasing.
Another very easy thing to do, is just go somewhere..say a Mall..have a seat on a bench and when someone passes by just say "Hello" to them, make sure to look them in the eye and say this...do this everyday...You'll find that its easier than you think and it will get easier.
Remember this also witnessing is a win, win, win situation. When you witness, God blesses you, If they accept what you say, God Blesses you, If they reject what you say, God Blesses you...cause they aren't rejecting you..they're rejecting Him. If they persecute you...God Greatly Blesses you. You can't lose...mainly because it isn't about you or me or anyone who does the witnessing. It's about Christ. The Spirit does all the work...really. We just pray to be used by Him, to be an instrument to spread the Gospel. And what God uses, He does it right as long as we surrender ourselves and deny ourselves and follow Him.
Passing out tracts is a great way to witness..you don't even have to hand them to ppl at first, when you go out to eat..leave a tip and a tract...When you go grocery shopping and ya pass by the soda's, slip a tract into the coke box..i've put them into cases of beer a few times. When you go to the restroom say at a store or somewhere...leave a tract...everybody likes to read there...My favorite way..is when i get gas at the pump i place one where the receipts come out or where ya slide your card. There's hundreds of ways to get out tracts and ways to do it so that you dont even have to speak to anyone. Do this for a while and with your Prayer life and daily reading of God's Word...plus some training in witnessing ...you'll find that you'll get bolder as you go.

Upvote 0

DrenchedInHisBlood

Renewing the innner man
Jun 23, 2004
El Sobrante, California
✟21,277.00
Faith
Non-Denom
my church has an evangelism group that goes out witnessing every Sunday. One of us often has words on the spot when talking to someone one on one when we encounter people in our outreach. I just decided to start filming our one on one talks with people, so I will do so this Sunday and I will make sure I get to film this person I am talking about. She claims to be really naturally shy, but after her salvation 5 years ago everything changed. Maybe her responses to people she witnesses to might help. Just wait after this Sunday.

Upvote 0

Brother Alan

Apr 14, 2013
Britain
✟7,638.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Firstly, God will I believe, use you more when you do witness than all the bold as brass evangelists out there.

Secondly, no true witness is unafraid when speaking about infinite things. as an finite being -we are out of our depth before we begin !!

As suggestion,witness to the born again loving folk in your fellowship first.

they will so encourage you that you will want to do it again

When we get faced with questions for which we cannot answer
, just simply say that you do not know, but you will definitely try to find the answer for them and you as well (you may be asked the same thing again)

If we sincerely witness ,even our mistakes may be used by God to bear fruit.

We are all learners in this field so don't forget to accept help from more experienced witnesses

I hope the above helps - all the best.

Every Blessing

BA

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,563.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I say just be who you really are. I let normal situations bring up the topic and then I just put in my two cents which are usually a biblical perspective and let my words land where they may. I'm not a bible thumper but I think we as Christians tend to withhold our opinions not wanting to offend anyone.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Baz

Nov 20, 2011
✟7,705.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I would also advise that you are discipled in this area by someone more experienced than you. That helped me a lot because I also had their experience to draw from. I would just watch and see how they talked to people and how they lived and conducted themselves then emulate that. That is what discipleship is.

Don't be pressured, be lead by peace. Maybe there are some areas you need to grow in before you're ready to reach out to people but don't feel pressured because this is an act that flows out of love. This is something that flows out of your adoration and time spent enjoying Jesus' presence and just being in circulation with him. Keep it simple and just start there right now. Simple faith.

Remember there's a difference between evangelizing (telling what God can do for people) and witnessing (what God has done for you). Anyone with the Holy Spirit can do the latter. Evangelism may take some prayer and preparation.

Upvote 0

Follower3

Site Supporter
Jun 1, 2013
✟380,465.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The fact that you even went out, and did that in the first place makes you bold.
I've yet to try to witness/disciple/spread the word face to face, I just sit back and work on projects I hope to some day post to the web that they may plant seeds.

Remember to have love in your heart, and if you are talking to strangers just keep in mind, worst case scenario you never see them again right? ( make sure this is the case XD)

Upvote 0

DrenchedInHisBlood

Renewing the innner man
Jun 23, 2004
El Sobrante, California
✟21,277.00
Faith
Non-Denom
me and my gf witnessed to a man at Starbucks the other night. I handed him a tract and he ended up talking to me about his beliefs. Sometimes a tract can spark conversation. So my gf talked to him about the gospel. I decided to tape record it just incase she says anything helpful as a way of demonstrating how to witness. She doesn't claim to have special talents for evangelism but i thought i'd write down the conversation and paste it to you. this might be helpful. i dont know, but just trying. Read below

He was just explaining his belief that we sinned from heaven where we came from. Now below is how the conversation picked up from

Her: So my question would be, how would sin be in heaven if heaven would be perfect? Like if it says, “in Adam all die” and “by one man sin entered the world,” then you believe there’s a heaven on earth or? When Adam died he was in the garden and that wasn’t on earth or in an angelic place. In Genesis, that wasn’t in an angelic place.

Man next to our table: That was in Eden right? If you study Genesis you’ll find out Eden was not of this earth.

Her: Do you know where in Genesis it says that? I’ve heard that in the Mormon background. So how did we get from heaven to here?

Man next to our table: Well as you know we are all sinners. If you are just born into this earth, we’re already sinning. Even before we’re old enough to sin physically. So where does sin come from? It comes from our spiritual being. Spiritual being is not the sinner, but we’re in sin now.

Her: In the Bible it talks about a baby in the womb neither works good nor has it worked evil, so spiritually it hasn’t done anything good or bad, it’s the actual flesh that is sinful.

Man next to our table: So where does your spirit come from? Your spirit is millions of years old.

Her: yeah I know. But if the bible is saying, in the womb, neither works good or evil. So how spiritually does that baby sin?

Man next to our table: Physically it hasn’t sin, but it was given a spirit.

Her: but it was saying spiritually, it’s not talking about the body.

Man next to our table: it is because, before we’re born into this world, we are born into a dimension. We are in a 3rd dimension. Only god can live in all the dimension.

Her: so do you know where in the bible it talks of different dimensions?

Man next to our table: In the book of Daniel. How Gabriel went to Daniel, and when Daniel finished praying….so we can travel through dimensions physically. How long does it take for us to travel from one side of the galaxy to the next, it takes millions of years right? The universe is created by god. Can you imagine, this one solar system bears 2 billion solar systems.

Her: I’ve never really heard that but thanks for sharing everything. So my question is, where do you believe you’re going when you die?

Man next to our table: I cannot say, I can only have hope. We cannot boast about whats in store for us, but we can truly do the work, works of eternal life. Nobody can say, but I am working towards it.

Her: So it’s something you can do by your deeds to get there?

Man next to our table: Exactly.

Her: So how do you think God will measure your deeds to get there?

Man next to our table: we cannot say how God is gonna measure our deeds but we can follow God as best as we can and hope for the best.

Her: so do you think it’s scary hoping you did enough? Cause for me it would be, oh my goodness I’m not assured, I better do tons of good deeds.

Man next to our table: no, you can do what you can do. Right?

Her: so if God can look down at your deeds, whats the standard? How do you know which deeds are good to do and which are bad? Because you know His ways are not our ways and His thoughts above our thoughts. Sometimes what we think is good to do, God looks down at. Sometimes the things we do, me might think is good, but when God looks, it’s not as good.

Man next to our table: That’s why we need spiritual eyes.

Her: In the bible it talks about, like in our society of morality, murder is really bad. But it also says that if you hate someone in your heart without a cause that’s also murder. It also says that if you lust after a woman in your heart it’s adultery. So some of the good deeds we do, it’s not actually good in God’s eyes. It also says, it’s not always the good things that you do either, sometimes it’s the good things that you fail to do. If you know to do good and you do it not, it’s a sin. So it’s not always in your daily life about all the good things that you’ve done. Sometimes it’s the good things that you haven’t done. God says these things do not justify us. It’s the belief in Christ and what he did on the cross.

Man next to our table: what is the greatest commandment?

Her: love God with all your heart mind and soul, and love your neighbor as yourself. For these hangeth the whole law. But we know that we’re not justified by the works of the law. It says in James and other place in the new testament. So we’re not justified by those things, we’re only justified by the blood of Christ. So basically in God’s eyes there’s no enough deeds that are so good that’s gonna get you to heaven.
Man next to our table: What is he trying to say?

Her: so the standard is, there is none good, no not one. All have sinned, me, you, Herbert (that’s my name), everyone here are all in the same boat. And nothing you can do can earn us to salvation. None of our good works, it’s all good and band before God. What you can do is believe on Jesus Christ, believe on his death, burial and resurrection and have hope and faith in that. It’s not based on what you can do and what you can’t do.

Man next to our table: Its based on God’s will, from the time of the Israelites, from the many times how the Israelites did good. What is bad in the eyes of God? Not keeping the Sabbath

Her: But it also says its good to do good in the Sabbath day. One of the Pharisees were telling him, why do you do these things in the Sabbath day? He said, if one of your lambs falls into a well and you go and get it in the Sabbath day, is that a sin? He said it’s good to do good on the Sabbath day. He said, is the Sabbath day made for man or man for the Sabbath? Meaning, the Sabbath is just a shadow of things to come, and it was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. Anything we can do for the Sabbath day is not gonna justify us.

Man next to our table: Why did man create the Sabbath?

Her: It was made for shadow of things to come. The Pharisees messed up because they thought they could be justified by it, and they would get off on technicalities but all of these things would not justifiy us, they are a shadow of things to come.

Man next to our table: But what is the covenant? Why would He bring in the physical man, the sinner’s flesh, and making Himself lower than the angels to come to this world and sacrifice Himself?

Her: that’s a really good question, and the bible answers it. It says to destroy the works of the devil.

Man next to our table: how exactly did He do that?

Her: By nailing our sins to the cross.

Man next to our table: Exactly.

Her: so if you just have faith in that

Man next to our table: actually there’s faith in that. To have faith in that, you have to do what He says. He made a standard right? On the cross, using His blood as a standard. Many churches use communion as bread and wine as Passover. Actually God gave us the Passover in His blood and then later was chained. Because Satan knows that we can be saved by the Passover. But many churches do not take the Passover but take communion, eucharist, sacrament in place of the Passover. Then how is Satan leading us astray. Jesus came all the way to this world right? From heaven, the son of man to give us salvation through His blood, taking away the works of Satan. But if we only use our minds to say, “thank you” but do not to “as I say,” then how can we obey Him?

Her: so you’re saying that’s doing it out of obedience to Christ?

Man next to our table: exactly. Cause Christ is lord, son of man, son of God. Who is he really? Do we really know who He is?

Her: Thanks for sharing that. I would just say, the Bible does say we can know where we go when we die. We trust in the blood of Christ, you can know where you’ll go, you’ll pass from death into life if you’re in the son. Just continue to read your bible and take an interest. Its really cool you’re reading. Its really scary to sit there say, “I don’t know where I’m going when I die.” Its covered with “I can know.”

Man next to our table: will I really know? Will I stay in faith till the end?

Her: so if you died now, where would you go? That’s a really huge question.

Man next to our table: I believe that I took the Passover and His blood. There is also unknowing sins we do everyday. So that’s why we take the blood, so we can have spiritual eyes. The lord gave us certain day to take the blood. Only in that day can the blood become his in his flesh.

Her: so say somebody doesn’t believe in Christ, if they took that blood, if they took the communion, does that automatically mean that they’re going to heaven?

Man next to our table: No. There’s a difference between Passover and communion. Communion is man-made.

Her: So if somebody took the Passover but didn’t believe, will it save them?

Man next to our table: No cause it would be in vain.

Her: So the Passover is just symbolic right? It doesn’t save.

Man next to our table: It does.

Her: so then a person that doesn’t believe and takes it, how does it get them into heaven?

Man next to our table: they have to believe.

Her: so you believe that saves you.

Man next to our table: Its everything. It cannot be one or the other.

Her: So what would you say about, you know there was a thief on the cross next to Jesus. And you know he didn’t take the Passover because he shortly died after believed and Jesus said, “today you will be with me in paradise.”

Man next to our table: That’s the Word of God. If God was here with you and he says “you will be with me in paradise,” will you believe Him or will you just scoff and laugh?

Her: I will believe Him. But what I’m just saying is that the Passover is just an act of obedience……

Man next to our table: we don’t have that, but we have His Passover. And we take it the way He wants it. But we do it our way, we do it on Sundays, “I don’t work on that day so its convenient.” But He said do it on this day.

END OF CONVERSATION-the man had to go. We kept in touch with him so hopefully next time!

Upvote 0