Veteran
Mar 21, 2010
Here
✟12,471.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Out of all the countries that have made SSM legal, almost all of them have since moved to make inappropriate behavior with animals illegal or already had laws again inappropriate behavior with animals.
I think Brazil, Spain and Argentina are the only exceptions because they never had any inappropriate behavior with animals laws, it has always been legal there.

None of those countries (some of which have had SSM for more than 10 years) have made any moves towards legalizing polygamy or incest or anything like that...
Why do you think they moved to do so after SSM was legalized? The shallow answer would be "because they didn't do so before;" but I'm looking for the why.

Regards,
H.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Does anyone know if there are laws against a person eating feces, or food with botulism in it (not giving it to another person, just preventing them personally from doing so)?

Why should the state intervene in either case?

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
By either case, do you mean inappropriate behavior with animals and eating feces? Or are you referring to feces and botulism?

Feces and botulism, hence my quoting that section of the post.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
In scriptures, sodomy was a tipping point for a society to swiftly decay into wholesale corruption.
You still never clarified what you mean when you say "sodomy," or whether you recognize that this group includes many heterosexual couples...

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,477.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I did notice no proof was offered that the "memo" in the OP existed anywhere outside of Mr DeLay's imagination. Did you see this part of the article in the OP:

you know what they call that in the real world? that's "not proof" :wave:
tulc(really liked the book "Alas Babylon" when he was young) ;)

:oldthumbsup:

Belk (Also an avid reader who enjoyed Alas Babylon)

Upvote 0

Glass*Soul

Senior Veteran
May 14, 2005
✟31,902.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
In scriptures, sodomy was a tipping point for a society to swiftly decay into wholesale corruption. At which point, drastic measures were taken to eradicate them from the people, like a cancer cut from a body member. Any new developments in the world concerning this issue, will be viewed in the same manner and dealt with by God, same as He ever has, regardless how we men might consider it.

And, of course, by sodomy you mean the biblical definition: lack of hospitality, pride, fullness of bread, fatness and sleekness, idleness, and a failure to care for widows, orphans, the poor, the needy and the oppressed. So, yeah, I agree. These are societal tipping points.

I say, lets pass some laws against this nation-damning sort of sodomy.

Reactions: pakicetus
Upvote 0

Hupomone10

Veteran
Mar 21, 2010
Here
✟12,471.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Why should the state intervene in either case?
I'll start, then, with something I suspect we could agree on: why should the state intervene concerning how much soda a person should drink? Here

On moral issues, however, I believe they are right to intervene. And that's the sticker: the liberals in New York City, following Michele Obama's lead, possibly feel that how much soda a person drinks is a moral issue. Hence, my Gandalf comment about "replacing reason for madness." I personally consider inappropriate behavior with animals socially and morally reprehensible, how much soda a person drinks not so much.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'll start, then, with something I suspect we could agree on: why should the state intervene concerning how much soda a person should drink? Here

On moral issues, however, I believe they are right to intervene. And that's the sticker: the liberals in New York City, following Michele Obama's lead, possibly feel that how much soda a person drinks is a moral issue. Hence, my Gandalf comment about "replacing reason for madness." I personally consider inappropriate behavior with animals socially and morally reprehensible, how much soda a person drinks not so much.

That whole soda restriction was and is one of the biggest jokes, I have ever seen.

They are selling cigarettes in the same place they are restricting soda. If anyone can make sense out of that, good luck.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
That whole soda restriction was and is one of the biggest jokes, I have ever seen.

They are selling cigarettes in the same place they are restricting soda. If anyone can make sense out of that, good luck.
"They" also killed an entrepreneur recently for simply selling single cigarettes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

The difference, of course, being that excessive soft drink consumption leads demonstrably to health issues. So, while I don't agree with "banning" soft drinks, (which, IIRC, no one actually did), trying to make people mindful of it is just basic public health best practice.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The difference, of course, being that excessive soft drink consumption leads demonstrably to health issues. So, while I don't agree with "banning" soft drinks, (which, IIRC, no one actually did), trying to make people mindful of it is just basic public health best practice.

You are correct of course that excessive consumption of soft drinks is unhealthy and can lead to obesity. With that said, when those same stores are limited in the size of the soft drink, but sell cartons of cigarettes to customers, don't you think that is a little out of whack, if health is the concern?

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You are correct of course that excessive consumption of soft drinks is unhealthy and can lead to obesity. With that said, when those same stores are limited in the size of the soft drink, but sell cartons of cigarettes to customers, don't you think that is a little out of whack, if health is the concern?
I think "trying to make people mindful of it is just basic public health best practice" when we're talking cigarettes, too. I don't really think any product should be flat out banned. I have no problem with the government mandating that consumers have access to all relevent information, and even though serving sizes is wildly unevenly policed, I don't have an objection to serving size in principle.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the whole soft drink furore over the size of container offered? i.e. anyone could drink however much he chose, although drinking an unhealthy amount required buying two or more of a smaller size cup rather than one big one?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Cadet

SO COOL
Apr 29, 2010
Munich
✟45,617.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
In scriptures, sodomy was a tipping point for a society to swiftly decay into wholesale corruption. At which point, drastic measures were taken to eradicate them from the people, like a cancer cut from a body member. Any new developments in the world concerning this issue, will be viewed in the same manner and dealt with by God, same as He ever has, regardless how we men might consider it.
Yeah, Netherlands has been a horrid wasteland since 2000, when gay marriage was legalized.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think "trying to make people mindful of it is just basic public health best practice" when we're talking cigarettes, too. I don't really think any product should be flat out banned. I have no problem with the government mandating that consumers have access to all relevent information, and even though serving sizes is wildly unevenly policed, I don't have an objection to serving size in principle.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the whole soft drink furore over the size of container offered? i.e. anyone could drink however much he chose, although drinking an unhealthy amount required buying two or more of a smaller size cup rather than one big one?

I don't know what their motivation was.

All I know is, when this person that is limited in the size of the soft drink they can purchase, can walk up to the counter and buy a carton of cigarettes, health concerns don't seem to be in play here.

And I agree, none of these things should be banned, I just find it a feeble attempt to do anything beneficial.

Upvote 0