To whom and why God gave the Sabbaths?

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
God has always been holy, righteous, and good, so He has always had such a conduct, and His law is holy, righteous, and good (Romans 7:12) because it is based on God's holiness, righteousness, and goodness, and because it is His instructions for how to have such a conduct. This means that the way to have such a conduct existed from the beginning before God made any covenants with man, it exists independently of any covenant, and it can not change unless God's holiness, righteousness, and goodness changes first. So unless you are arguing that God's character changed when the seed should come to whom the promise was made, then the way to act in line with God's character remained the same, as it was revealed to Moses.

Genesis 26:5 because Abraham obeyed my voice and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.”

God did not leave His people without instructions prior to Moses, but rather they knew how to do what is holy, righteous, and good because they listened to God's voice. Cain and Abel had been given instructions about how to make offerings, Noah had been given instructions in regard to clean and unclean animals, and Abraham was given commandments, statutes, and laws, which refers to a way of living that clearly covered more than two specific instructions.

The law was given to teach of the love of God for the whole of His creation until the love of God would come and remedy the sins that separated God from His creation. The law wasn't given as a trap, but to make us aware of our sin and to give us a remedy from those transgressions so that we might learn and move on to lives that bring honor on to God. Paul was certainly not saying that now that now that the seed to whom the promise was made has come that we can now feel free to dishonor God by going to back to doing what He has revealed to be sin and the lawlessness that he redeemed us from.

Hebrews 7:12 is essentially saying that an eternal High Priest could not come from the Aaronic line, not that God's holiness, righteousness, or goodness or the way to live in line with that need to be changed.

Your position is Abraham had the law which is contrary to Moses in Deut 5.

bugkiller

Reactions: listed
Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Nothing could come after the covenant was sealed with Christ's blood... if it wasn't codified before His death, then it's not binding after. Lesson on contracts 101...
So why doesn't this work with Moses the same way?

bugkiller

Upvote 0

Travis93

Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2016
Lilesville NC
✟46,941.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
So why doesn't this work with Moses the same way?

bugkiller

Deuteronomy 4:2 Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The unbearable yoke is the oral law/tradition of the elders, not God's own law. The Apostles did not have the authority to take away God's law (Deuteronomy 4:2), and if that's what they were actually doing they'd be false prophets (Deuteronomy 13:1-5, Isaiah 8:20). Luckily that isn't what they did, they gave them those four laws to get started and recommended attending the synagogue to learn the rest every sabbath (Acts 15:21).

Paul said it was the Sinai covenant. He did not say the oral law/tradition. He said the "covenant".

Gal 4:24 Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar.
Gal 4:25 For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children.
Gal 4:26 But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all.
(See Hebrews 11:16.)

Gal 4:30 Nevertheless what saith the scripture? Cast out the bondwoman and her son: for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman.
Gal 4:31 So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free.
(We are children of the New Covenant, instead of the "obsolete" Old covenant, based on Hebrews 8:13.)

Gal 5:1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.

Here again we have Paul describing the Sinai covenant as a yoke of bondage.

The Sinai covenant was "added" 430 years "after" the promise made to Abraham "uontil" the Seed could come to whom the promise was made.

Gal 3:17 And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect.

Gal 3:18 For if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise: but God gave it to Abraham by promise.

Gal 3:19 Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.

Mat 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Joh 19:30 When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.

Mar_15:38 And the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom.

The Messiah fulfilled the Sinai covenant at the Cross.
God tore the temple veil in half, signifying the end of the whole Old covenant system."

It is now "obsolete"

Heb 8:13 In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

Upvote 0

Travis93

Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2016
Lilesville NC
✟46,941.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Deuteronomy 4:2 says don't add or subtract from the law, Deuteronomy 13:1-5 says not to hearken unto prophets who led you away from God or the law, Isaiah 8:20 says anyone who doesn't have the law has no light in them. If you think Paul encouraged people to give up the law, you must acknowledge either him or Moses and Isaiah as false prophets. In addition, there are prophesies about the last days where the law will go forth from Jerusalem in Isaiah 2:2-3 and Micah 4:2-3, so doing away with the law makes both of these false as well. On top of all that, there are prophesies about the whole world worshiping according to sabbaths, new moons, and feasts in Isaiah 66:23 and Zechariah 14:16. These must be false as well if the law was abolished.

Reactions: SAAN
Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Deuteronomy 4:2 Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.
Does this mean there can be no NT or even prophets of the OT?

bugkiller

Upvote 0

Travis93

Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2016
Lilesville NC
✟46,941.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Does this mean there can be no NT or even prophets of the OT?

bugkiller
All the prophets did was tell people to repent, and follow the law of Moses. They didn't add new commands or tell people the law was going to go away. One of the last things spoken by a prophet was to remember the law of Moses (Malachi 4:4). The NT picks up where he left off with Jesus telling people not to think he came to destroy the law (Matthew 5:17-19). Paul continues the same message (Romans 2:13, Romans 3:31). All the rest of the Bible does is expand on the law, teach to follow it, and proclaim doom on those who don't. Revelation 22:14 says those who keep the commandments will have the right to the tree of life, so all the way to the end of the Bible I see a consistent message.

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟678,492.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All the prophets did was tell people to repent, and follow the law of Moses. They didn't add new commands or tell people the law was going to go away. One of the last things spoken by a prophet was to remember the law of Moses (Malachi 4:4). The NT picks up where he left off with Jesus telling people not to think he came to destroy the law (Matthew 5:17-19). Paul continues the same message (Romans 2:13, Romans 3:31). All the rest of the Bible does is expand on the law, teach to follow it, and proclaim doom on those who don't. Revelation 22:14 says those who keep the commandments will have the right to the tree of life, so all the way to the end of the Bible I see a consistent message.
The same John that wrote Revelations wrote the following as to what the commandments are. 1jn3:
23 And this is his commandment: We must believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and love one another, just as he commanded us. 24 Those who obey God’s commandments remain in fellowship with him, and he with them. And we know he lives in us because the Spirit he gave us lives in us.

Study to show yourself approved. As you can plainly see John in Revelations 22:14 didn't put a 10 in front of commandments. He didn't intend to. You have done that on your own. John intends to tell us that the word commandments are what he had already signified in 1Jn3. It seems that law thumpers will do anything to deceive others into believing their theories.

Upvote 0

Cribstyl

Veteran
Jun 13, 2006
✟100,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
That doesn't even make sense Crib, even for you.
You've got it upside down as usual?
ECR said:
Your saying that all God had to do was prove Sabbath was given to Adam and all would have right in the world?
I said no such thing. I said "if Sabbath was given to Adam all men would comply"..... Because all that God decreed in creation still stands. Marriage still stands, procreation of humankind and animals still stands. No hint of a Sabbath for man.
ECR said:
Did it occur to you that the rebellion of Adam and Eve may have had something to do with it? The same rebellion that is being promulgated today?
I guess you're making a lot of sense by implying that Adam and Eve rebelled against the Sabbath commandment.

Upvote 0

Cribstyl

Veteran
Jun 13, 2006
✟100,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Eze 20:12 Moreover also I gave them my sabbaths, to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the LORD that sanctify them.

If God first instituted Sabbath at creation for mankind why would He ever say: "I gave my Sabbaths as a sign between Me and those I freed from Egypt?" The fact that a creation Sabbath cant be found in any scripture exposes error from the truth.

Neh 9:14 And madest known unto them thy holy sabbath, and commandedst them precepts, statutes, and laws, by the hand of Moses thy servant:
Why would it be wrong to say according to a true prophet in the scriptures, that Sabbath was made known by the hands of Moses?
In addition, when we read The first Sabbath commandments in Exodus 16,20 and Deuteronomy 5 we understand that God was addressing the people freed from Egypt not the world.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
In addition, when we read The first Sabbath commandments in Exodus 16,20 and Deuteronomy 5 we understand that God was addressing the people freed from Egypt not the world.
Yes. YHWH SAVED the people HE chose. The gentiles, the rest of the world, HE DID NOT SAVE - they were without MESSIAH and without hope.
YHWH called and chose TODAY an elect few. Never many compared to the world who HE SAYS stay on the wide road to destruction.
YHWH set free a few - the remnant IN MESSIAH Y'SHUA.
All along, HE kept for HIMSELF , for HIS OWN PURPOSE, a few, not many. YHWH thru Y'SHUA saved "A FEW" from the world, just as YHWH saved "A FEW" from egypt.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I said no such thing. I said "if Sabbath was given to Adam all men would comply".....
Why would all men comply? The whole world is wicked. YHWH looked from heaven to see if ANYONE was seeking HIM.
HE found no one.

Today do you know anyone (with a family) who honors YHWH'S SABBATH?

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟678,492.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If anyone could give even one hint that someone in all of any history ever kept the Sabbath given only to Israel I would have to change my belief system. If Sabbath were so important that the command had a "halo" around it (as per the prophet of SDAs, Ellen White, wrote) then why didn't God ever tell anyone in Biblical history about it? Why did God allow His chosen people to march out of Egypt to the Red Sea which took many days without stopping to commemorate their flight out of Egypt. Couldn't God's protection hold back the armies of Egypt so that the Halo commandment be observed by the chosen?

You law triers tell us God does not change His laws. His laws endure forever? He had a law that required slaughter of animals for sacrifice. Did that endure forever? How about circumcision? Do you all wear tassels on your garments or do all of the laws that pertained to the laity of Israel? Remember all you who are triers of the law, if you break one of those laws you might just as well have broken all of them. What a responsibility and all for naught I might add.

Thank you my Lord for leading me out of bondage to the laws that could only condemn the Israelites to death.

Reactions: bugkiller
Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟678,492.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why would all men comply? The whole world is wicked. YHWH looked from heaven to see if ANYONE was seeking HIM.
HE found no one.

May I ask what having a family has to do with Honoring God's Sabbath given only to a now defunct Israel?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cribstyl

Veteran
Jun 13, 2006
✟100,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes. YHWH SAVED the people HE chose. The gentiles, the rest of the world, HE DID NOT SAVE - they were without MESSIAH and without hope.
YHWH called and chose TODAY an elect few. Never many compared to the world who HE SAYS stay on the wide road to destruction.
YHWH set free a few - the remnant IN MESSIAH Y'SHUA.
All along, HE kept for HIMSELF , for HIS OWN PURPOSE, a few, not many. YHWH thru Y'SHUA saved "A FEW" from the world, just as YHWH saved "A FEW" from egypt.
Really??? Explain what does "WHOSOEVER" mean? It is a prophetic reality that most will reject God's plan of salvation, but the invitation is to the world.

Jhn 3:15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
Jhn 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Jhn 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
Jhn 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
Jhn 3:19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Really??? Explain what does "WHOSOEVER" mean? It is a prophetic reality that most will reject God's plan of salvation, but the invitation is to the world.
What "really???" ? (What is the question?)
What you said>
" It is a prophetic reality that most will reject God's plan of salvation, but the invitation is to the world."
is true. Yes. Really. I agree.

Upvote 0

Cribstyl

Veteran
Jun 13, 2006
✟100,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
HE found no one.

In spite of giving men freewill to chose between good and evil, all that God decreed in the 7 days of creation still stands or He couldn't be God.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
...The whole world is wicked. YHWH looked from heaven to see if ANYONE was seeking HIM. HE found no one.

Today do you know anyone (with a family) who honors YHWH'S SABBATH?.....

QUOTE= all that God decreed in the 7 days of creation still stands QUOTE

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟678,492.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
...The whole world is wicked. YHWH looked from heaven to see if ANYONE was seeking HIM. HE found no one.

Today do you know anyone (with a family) who honors YHWH'S SABBATH?.....

QUOTE= all that God decreed in the 7 days of creation still stands QUOTE
No one has to. The Sabbath given to Israel is but a shadow, Jesus is reality. Jesus is our rest and we honor Him.

Reactions: Cribstyl
Upvote 0