Visit site
✟15,571.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
When you give do it lovingly. A fundamental tithe is needed to keep the church going. It’s not needed for God but is our fair service to Him. God requires us to go to church to assemble ourselves together to praise Him and do His work.

If you’re not tithing you’re not supporting Gods work.

LEVITICUS 27:30 And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD's: it is holy unto the LORD.

The Basics;

What missions can we do without money?

DEUTERONOMY 14:22 Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year. 23 And thou shalt eat before the LORD thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always.

What preacher can you expect to do it for free?

NEHEMIAH 10:38 And the priest the son of Aaron shall be with the Levites, when the Levites take tithes: and the Levites shall bring up the tithe of the tithes unto the house of our God, to the chambers, into the treasure house. 39 For the children of Israel and the children of Levi shall bring the offering of the corn, of the new wine, and the oil, unto the chambers, where are the vessels of the sanctuary, and the priests that minister, and the porters, and the singers: and we will not forsake the house of our God.

How would he support his family with no money?

NUMBERS 18:21 And, behold, I have given the children of Levi all the tenth in Israel for an inheritance, for their service which they serve, even the service of the tabernacle of the congregation.

If you tithe just for show it will not help.

MATTHEW 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Even as Christ gave Himself for us the least we can do is support His service.

EPHESIANS 5:2 And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savor.

God can use your tithe and bless it when you give with a loving heart.

PHILIPPIANS 4:15 Now ye Philippians know also, that in the beginning of the gospel, when I departed from Macedonia, no church communicated with me as concerning giving and receiving, but ye only. 16 For even in Thessalonica ye sent once and again unto my necessity. 17 Not because I desire a gift: but I desire fruit that may abound to your account. 18 But I have all, and abound: I am full, having received of Epaphroditus the things which were sent from you, an odor of a sweet smell, a sacrifice acceptable, well-pleasing to God. 19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus. 20 Now unto God and our Father be glory forever and ever. Amen.

You have to have the proper judgment before you give if it’s for your purpose don’t give. If you give out of mercy for someone on missions, to support your church or many other things God blesses your gift. God can supply all our needs it's our service to Him that we give a tithe.

If you’re not saved ask God for salvation in Jesus Christ’s Name. Here is a sample prayer, Have faith in what your praying and you will be saved. Find a good Christian church that serves Christ and tell them that you have asked Christ for salvation and they will help you grow in Christ.

“God I know that I have sinned against you and am deserving of punishment. But Jesus Christ took the punishment that I deserve, so that through faith in Him I could be forgiven.

Jesus Christ, with your help I place my trust in you for salvation, and I ask that you will forgive me of my sins. I thank you for your wonderful grace and forgiveness.”

Last edited:

silence_dogood

Apr 26, 2010
✟2,144.00
Faith
Calvinist
A fundamental tithe is needed to keep the church going. It’s not needed for God but is our fair service to Him. God requires us to go to church to assemble ourselves together to praise Him and do His work.

LEVITICUS 27:30 And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD's: it is holy unto the LORD.

The Basics;

What missions can we do without money?

DEUTERONOMY 14:22 Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year. 23 And thou shalt eat before the LORD thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always.

What preacher can you expect to do it for free?

NEHEMIAH 10:38 And the priest the son of Aaron shall be with the Levites, when the Levites take tithes: and the Levites shall bring up the tithe of the tithes unto the house of our God, to the chambers, into the treasure house. 39 For the children of Israel and the children of Levi shall bring the offering of the corn, of the new wine, and the oil, unto the chambers, where are the vessels of the sanctuary, and the priests that minister, and the porters, and the singers: and we will not forsake the house of our God.

How would he support his family with no money?

NUMBERS 18:21 And, behold, I have given the children of Levi all the tenth in Israel for an inheritance, for their service which they serve, even the service of the tabernacle of the congregation.

If you tithe just for show it will not help.

MATTHEW 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

You have to have the proper judgment before you give if it’s for your purpose don’t give. If you give out of mercy for someone on missions, to support your church or many other things God blesses your gift.

Out of curiousity, do you pay all of the tithes, or just one tithe?

Upvote 0

silence_dogood

Apr 26, 2010
✟2,144.00
Faith
Calvinist
Can you explain yourself better. I,m giving 10 percent pre tax plus some extra

What I mean is, if you're going to put yourself in bondage to the law, then are you following the law?

Out of the OT/OC verses you listed, none of them say that we're only obligated to pay one of the tithes, so I'm asking if you're consistent in your beliefs and pay all of the tithes, or just one of the tithes.

Upvote 0

ddrgkd

Ask Christ For Salvation
Feb 19, 2009
United States
Visit site
✟15,571.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
What I mean is, if you're going to put yourself in bondage to the law, then are you following the law?

Out of the OT/OC verses you listed, none of them say that we're only obligated to pay one of the tithes, so I'm asking if you're consistent in your beliefs and pay all of the tithes, or just one of the tithes.
[FONT=&quot]
If you consider supporting your church bondage I guess I am. If you don’t support your church your leaching off of it.[/FONT]

Upvote 0

GaryArnold

May 10, 2010
USA
Visit site
✟8,409.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
NO ONE, absolutely NO ONE pays the Biblical tithe today.

Leviticus 27:30-33, Numbers 18: The First Tithe - a tenth of crops and animals and commanded to take the tithe to the Levites. Those are ASSETS that come from God's hand. They are miracles of God, NOT income from man.

Deuteronomy 14:22-27: The Second Tithe aka The Festival Tithe - a tenth of crops, plus add to that the firstborn animals, and take for the yearly feast.

Deuteronomy 14:28-29: The Third Tithe aka The Three-Year Tithe aka The Poor Tithe - a tenth of crops, kept at home, and invite the Levites, widows, orphans, stranger to eat.

Now, tell me. Which of the above three tithes commanded by God do you follow?

The New Testament teaches generous, sacrificial giving, from the heart, according to our means. For some, $1 might be a sacrifice, while for others, even giving 50% of their income might not induce a sacrifice. In the Old Testament, ONLY the farmers tithed, and it was equal percentage (a tenth). The New Testament teaches the principle of equal sacrifice instead of equal percentage. Equal sacrifice is much harder to achieve, if not impossible, than giving ten percent.

OLD TESTAMENT - THE FIRST OF THE FRUITS SHOULD GO TO GOD
Proverbs 3:9 (KJV) “Honour the LORD with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase:”

NEW TESTAMENT - THE WORKER SHOULD BE FIRST TO RECEIVE A SHARE OF THE FRUIT
2 Timothy 2:6 (KJV) “The husbandman that laboureth must be first partaker of the fruits.”

When was the last time you heard a pastor say that you should spend the FIRST part of your income on yourself and your family?

1 Timothy 5:8 (KJV) “But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.”

The New Testament makes it clear that we are to use the FIRST of our income to take care of ourselves and our family. We are talking about needs, here, not just anything we want. Then we should give generously from what is left.

The gospel is FREE to everyone. There is no charge for the gospel.

When you go to a seminar, you usually have to pay to attend. When you go to a concert, you usually have to pay to attend. When you go to social events, you usually have to pay to attend.

Why does one "go to" church? Maybe for the following reasons:
1. For instruction / education in God's Word
2. To worship The Lord
3. For prayer and/or to pray
4. For entertainment (the music, etc.)
5. For fellowship / socializing

WE go to church so that WE can get instruction and education in God's Word, so that WE can worship The Lord, so that WE can participate in prayer, so that WE can be entertained and enjoy the music, and so that WE can fellowship or socialize.

WE benefit from going to church services. When WE give our offerings, is it not to PAY for what WE have received from the service? Is that giving to God, or is that paying for a service WE have received?

Who is getting the money? Is it God? Or does the money go to PAY for salaries, the building, utilities, etc., ALL of which WE benefit from?

In the Old Testament, God commanded the tithe be paid to HIM, and HE directed the Israelites to take HIS tithe to the Levites. HE gave HIS tithe to the Levites. Offerings to God were heave offerings, or burnt offerings, or wave offerings.

In the New Testament, God does not tell us HOW to give to HIM other than to give to the poor. God did NOT direct HIS gifts be taken to any church.

Reactions: AndOne
Upvote 0

ddrgkd

Ask Christ For Salvation
Feb 19, 2009
United States
Visit site
✟15,571.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Leviticus 27:30-33, Numbers 18: The First Tithe - a tenth of crops and animals and commanded to take the tithe to the Levites. Those are ASSETS that come from God's hand. They are miracles of God, NOT income from man.

Deuteronomy 14:22-27: The Second Tithe aka The Festival Tithe - a tenth of crops, plus add to that the firstborn animals, and take for the yearly feast.

Deuteronomy 14:28-29: The Third Tithe aka The Three-Year Tithe aka The Poor Tithe - a tenth of crops, kept at home, and invite the Levites, widows, orphans, stranger to eat.

The New Testament teaches generous, sacrificial giving, from the heart, according to our means. For some, $1 might be a sacrifice, while for others, even giving 50% of their income might not induce a sacrifice. In the Old Testament, ONLY the farmers tithed, and it was equal percentage (a tenth). The New Testament teaches the principle of equal sacrifice instead of equal percentage. Equal sacrifice is much harder to achieve, if not impossible, than giving ten percent.

Proverbs 3:9 (KJV) “Honour the LORD with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase:”

2 Timothy 2:6 (KJV) “The husbandman that laboureth must be first partaker of the fruits.”

When was the last time you heard a pastor say that you should spend the FIRST part of your income on yourself and your family?

1 Timothy 5:8 (KJV) “But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.”

The New Testament makes it clear that we are to use the FIRST of our income to take care of ourselves and our family. We are talking about needs, here, not just anything we want. Then we should give generously from what is left.

When you go to a seminar, you usually have to pay to attend. When you go to a concert, you usually have to pay to attend. When you go to social events, you usually have to pay to attend.

2. To worship The Lord

WE go to church so that WE can get instruction and education in God's Word, so that WE can worship The Lord, so that WE can participate in prayer, so that WE can be entertained and enjoy the music, and so that WE can fellowship or socialize.

WE benefit from going to church services. When WE give our offerings, is it not to PAY for what WE have received from the service? Is that giving to God, or is that paying for a service WE have received?

Who is getting the money? Is it God? Or does the money go to PAY for salaries, the building, utilities, etc., ALL of which WE benefit from?

In the Old Testament, God commanded the tithe be paid to HIM, and HE directed the Israelites to take HIS tithe to the Levites. HE gave HIS tithe to the Levites. Offerings to God were heave offerings, or burnt offerings, or wave offerings.

In the New Testament, God does not tell us HOW to give to HIM other than to give to the poor. God did NOT direct HIS gifts be taken to any church.

Have you asked Christ for salvation?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ddrgkd

Ask Christ For Salvation
Feb 19, 2009
United States
Visit site
✟15,571.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I was saved many years ago. I am a Money & Finance Minister.

Being Spirit led instead of led by Old Testament laws, I find myself giving far, far more than a mere tenth of my income.

It’s good to hear you’re saved; I was mainly talking to those who put a dollar in the plate and expect that to be enough for all the churches ministries. The reason I went with the Old Testament over the new is I wanted to set a ground work. I need more new testament in there from the responses I have been getting. Thank's for helping me edit this post

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sheina

Born Crucified
Mar 30, 2007
Mississippi
✟17,014.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
ddrgkd said:
I was mainly talking to those who put a dollar in the plate and expect that to be enough for all the churches ministries.
It's not the amount one puts in the offering plate, it is what is purposed in the heart what to give. Perhaps a dollar is all that person is able to give (Mark 12:41-44)...and that is the amount which was purposed in their heart to give...and they gave 100% of that amount.

2 Corinthians 9:6 But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.

2 Corinthians 9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

How can a person be a "cheerful giver" when he/she is "coerced" (of necessity) to pay 10% of their income....and then told that they are "cursed with a curse" for "robbing God"?

Upvote 0

ddrgkd

Ask Christ For Salvation
Feb 19, 2009
United States
Visit site
✟15,571.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It's not the amount one puts in the offering plate, it is what is purposed in the heart what to give. Perhaps a dollar is all that person is able to give (Mark 12:41-44)...and that is the amount which was purposed in their heart to give...and they gave 100% of that amount.

2 Corinthians 9:6 But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.

2 Corinthians 9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

How can a person be a "cheerful giver" when he/she is "coerced" (of necessity) to pay 10% of their income....and then told that they are "cursed with a curse" for "robbing God"?

That dollar might well be all they can give. Did you read my Article on tithing?

Upvote 0

phoenixdem

Nov 28, 2010
South Dakota
✟9,080.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

2. To worship The Lord

"NO ONE, absolutely NO ONE pays the Biblical tithe today."

Everyone appointed you as their spokesperson?

Upvote 0
S

Studious One

As I read the OP, the following quotation stood out the most

This particular statement infers that the only way one can support God's work is for one to tithe. In actuality, there are many ways to support God's work.

God's tithe, according to the Old Testament, was not money... it was food.

Deuteronomy 14:23 And thou shalt eat before the LORD thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always.

There is God's tithe... produce and livestock. Nothing else.

In Matthew 23:23 and Luke 11:42, Jesus commended the Pharisees for tithing. but in all that the Lord commended them of tithing, no mention of money being tithed is made at all.

God's tithe was never money... it was food. And it was to be taken to the Levites because the Levites were not allowed to own any land on which they could raise their own food. The Levites would eat a portion of the tithe with the tither and then the Levites would take a tithe of the tithe they received to the High Priest. None other than those who were of the tribe of Levi were authorized by God to receive the tithe.

It is funny how pastors try to put their flock under a spirit of condemnation if they aren't tithing when Scripture nowhere authorizes the pastor to receive the tithe.

Upvote 0

phoenixdem

Nov 28, 2010
South Dakota
✟9,080.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
As I read the OP, the following quotation stood out the most

This particular statement infers that the only way one can support God's work is for one to tithe. In actuality, there are many ways to support God's work.

God's tithe, according to the Old Testament, was not money... it was food.

Deuteronomy 14:23 And thou shalt eat before the LORD thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always.

There is God's tithe... produce and livestock. Nothing else.

In Matthew 23:23 and Luke 11:42, Jesus commended the Pharisees for tithing. but in all that the Lord commended them of tithing, no mention of money being tithed is made at all.

God's tithe was never money... it was food. And it was to be taken to the Levites because the Levites were not allowed to own any land on which they could raise their own food. The Levites would eat a portion of the tithe with the tither and then the Levites would take a tithe of the tithe they received to the High Priest. None other than those who were of the tribe of Levi were authorized by God to receive the tithe.

It is funny how pastors try to put their flock under a spirit of condemnation if they aren't tithing when Scripture nowhere authorizes the pastor to receive the tithe.

Did you miss the story of the poor woman in Luke Chapter 21? While it may be true that many had only their crops and animals and not money, the giving of money wasn't frowned on by those accepting the gifts or God Himself. People gave what they had. Today, many don't have farm produce or livestock, but they have money and vice versa.

Upvote 0