Tithing

S

Studious One

Did you miss the story of the poor woman in Luke Chapter 21? While it may be true that many had only their crops and animals and not money, the giving of money wasn't frowned on by those accepting the gifts or God Himself. People gave what they had. Today, many don't have farm produce or livestock, but they have money and vice versa.
The poor woman in Luke chapter one was not said to be tithing, was she?

According to Luke's account of that event, it was gifts being put in the treasury. Nothing is said of tithes at all.

And that woman gave 'all her living,' not 10% of what she had... further proving that it was not tithes.

by the way... a gift is not a mandatory requirement.

Try again.

Upvote 0

phoenixdem

Nov 28, 2010
South Dakota
✟9,080.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The poor woman in Luke chapter one was not said to be tithing, was she?

According to Luke's account of that event, it was gifts being put in the treasury. Nothing is said of tithes at all.

And that woman gave 'all her living,' not 10% of what she had... further proving that it was not tithes.

by the way... a gift is not a mandatory requirement.

Try again.

Try again for what? I said that people gave what they had. The Hebrews didn't have money, but they did have the land and agricultural products and animals. They tithed what they had. I also said that the gifts included money which wasn't turned down. Richer Hebrews probably did have money.

You might be interested in this bit about Jewish tithing from a source on the internet.

"Some Rabbinic sources make reference to a tithe of money as well as of produce, although it is not too clear whether this was seen as a voluntary contribution rather than an obligation. Nevertheless, many observant Jews today do donate a tenth of their annual income to charity. This is known as maaser kesafim, 'the money tithe' or 'wealth tax."

Upvote 0
S

Studious One

Try again for what? I said that people gave what they had. The Hebrews didn't have money, but they did have the land and agricultural products and animals. They tithed what they had. I also said that the gifts included money which wasn't turned down. Richer Hebrews probably did have money.

You might be interested in this bit about Jewish tithing from a source on the internet.

"Some Rabbinic sources make reference to a tithe of money as well as of produce, although it is not too clear whether this was seen as a voluntary contribution rather than an obligation. Nevertheless, many observant Jews today do donate a tenth of their annual income to charity. This is known as maaser kesafim, 'the money tithe' or 'wealth tax."
Hebrews did have money. "Money" is mentioned in the first five books of the Bible. Burial plots were said to have been bought with "shekels". Gold and silver are mentioned as well.

Those Rabbinic sources are wrong. The Word of God is clear as to what God required as a tithe. Leviticus 27, Numbers 18, and Deuteronomy 14 clearly show what God's tithe consisted of, and it was never money. I'll believe the Word of God concerning the tithe rather than an internet source.

Upvote 0

Hentenza

I will fear no evil for You are with me
Mar 27, 2007
On the bus to Heaven
✟60,078.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hebrews did have money. "Money" is mentioned in the first five books of the Bible. Burial plots were said to have been bought with "shekels". Gold and silver are mentioned as well.

Those Rabbinic sources are wrong. The Word of God is clear as to what God required as a tithe. Leviticus 27, Numbers 18, and Deuteronomy 14 clearly show what God's tithe consisted of, and it was never money. I'll believe the Word of God concerning the tithe rather than an internet source.

Do you consider giving money wrong? Just curious. :)

Upvote 0

phoenixdem

Nov 28, 2010
South Dakota
✟9,080.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

The ancient Hebrews did a lot of things that were contrary to the stated wishes of God. Anyway, so, the author of this piece didn't know what he was talking about?

"Rabbi Dr. Louis Jacobs (1920-2006) was a Masorti rabbi, the first leader of Masorti Judaism (also known as Conservative Judaism) in the United Kingdom, and a leading writer and thinker on Judaism."

Upvote 0
S

Studious One

Do you consider giving money wrong? Just curious. :)
No, not at all. Money is what pays for electricity and other utilities a Church needs to operate. It is also good for paying the salary of the pastor if he needs that.

What I am against is the unbiblical teaching that God requires 10% of our money as a tithe. Nowhere in the Word of God did God authorize money to be received as a tithe. The tithe was always something that was edible.

The only people authorized to receive the tithe were the Levites, except the third year tithe which was given to the widows, orphans, Levites who lived on the tither's land and any foreign visitors to the city.

The seventh year, there was no tithe given or received. The land was to rest. There is no evidence of the same people being required to tithe week in and week out over and over and over as many Churches require today of their members. That which is being preached as being the tithe in Churches today is nowhere close to the Biblical tithe.

Upvote 0
S

Studious One

The ancient Hebrews did a lot of things that were contrary to the stated wishes of God. Anyway, so, the author of this piece didn't know what he was talking about?

"Rabbi Dr. Louis Jacobs (1920-2006) was a Masorti rabbi, the first leader of Masorti Judaism (also known as Conservative Judaism) in the United Kingdom, and a leading writer and thinker on Judaism."
The Rabbi's sources are wrong. The Levites were told to collect tithe of the crops, flocks and herds... nothing else was to be tithed.

There is no account in the Word of God of the Levites accepting money as tithe. Had they collected money as tithe after God specifically told them what the tithe was, they would probably have been destroyed by God as He did to so many children of disobedience.

Upvote 0

Hentenza

I will fear no evil for You are with me
Mar 27, 2007
On the bus to Heaven
✟60,078.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No, not at all. Money is what pays for electricity and other utilities a Church needs to operate. It is also good for paying the salary of the pastor if he needs that.

What I am against is the unbiblical teaching that God requires 10% of our money as a tithe. Nowhere in the Word of God did God authorize money to be received as a tithe. The tithe was always something that was edible.

The only people authorized to receive the tithe were the Levites, except the third year tithe which was given to the widows, orphans, Levites who lived on the tither's land and any foreign visitors to the city.

The seventh year, there was no tithe given or received. The land was to rest. There is no evidence of the same people being required to tithe week in and week out over and over and over as many Churches require today of their members. That which is being preached as being the tithe in Churches today is nowhere close to the Biblical tithe.

K, thanks for answering. I happen to mostly share your view.

Upvote 0

ddrgkd

Ask Christ For Salvation
Feb 19, 2009
United States
Visit site
✟15,571.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
"NO ONE, absolutely NO ONE pays the Biblical tithe today."

Everyone appointed you as their spokesperson?

[FONT=&quot]I see were your coming from I am not talking about service rendered. I pay the biblical tithe as well as others and if you’re not you’re not supporting God's work. Jesus Christ appointed me His spokesmen & you also if you have salvation.[/FONT]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
S

Studious One

Yes i pay 10 percent of my money plus a little more.
Then I must inform you by the authority of God's Holy Word that you are not paying the Biblical tithe.

The Biblical tithe was never money. It could be sold for money if it was too heavy to carry to Jerusalem, but once the tither arrived in Jerusalem, he was to buy back the tithe with the money.

Deuteronomy 14:23
And thou shalt eat before the LORD thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always.

Deuteronomy 14:24-28 And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it; or if the place be too far from thee, which the LORD thy God shall choose to set his name there, when the LORD thy God hath blessed thee: Then shalt thou turn it into money, and bind up the money in thine hand, and shalt go unto the place which the LORD thy God shall choose: And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the LORD thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household, And the Levite that is within thy gates; thou shalt not forsake him; for he hath no part nor inheritance with thee. At the end of three years thou shalt bring forth all the tithe of thine increase the same year, and shalt lay it up within thy gates:

One can call one's money tithe all one wants, but the Word of God proves that one to be wrong. Tithe was never money.

Upvote 0
S

Studious One

A study of Biblical History will reveal that the Pharisees of the 1st Century A.D. were famous for adding their own laws to God's Holy Law.

Somewhere after the 1st Century, someone decided to play the part of a Pharisee and they changed God's Holy tithe of crops, flocks and herds to a tithe of money. And many, not knowing the Word of God concerning His tithe believed the Pharisaical law that originated out of a deceitful heart.

Somewhere in history, the Pharisee changed God's Holy tithe into man's tithe. And many, not knowing the Word of God, nor willing to study out what the Word of God says concerning God's Holy tithe believed the Pharisaical law that originated in the dark corners of man's deceitful heart.

Many are led astray from the Truth when they refuse to search out the Truth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goinheix

Dec 23, 2010
Montevideo Uruguay
✟2,018.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
FALSE STATEMENT:
“When you give do it lovingly”
It is wrong state the above in a tithing context. Tithing is part of the Law, and can not practice anything from the Law willingly. If you do, you are forced to follow all the Law. It is not a option to pick a single rule of the Law and disregard the rest. Who does tithing lovingly is under the Law.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Goinheix

Dec 23, 2010
Montevideo Uruguay
✟2,018.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
TRUE STATEMENT
“A fundamental tithe is needed to keep the church going”
The only reason to do tithing is to support the human institution that we know as Church. That Church has is not the congregation of Christian, is not the church we read on the NT; it is a human organization that work with money, and need money. If some body wants to cooperate with that human administration, can do it with the 10% of his income. But be clear that doing so has nothing to do with God or his real church.

What can nor be done, is teaching tithing as if it were a Christian doctrine. In all the NT (and OT aswell) there is not a single word that tells the Christian to do tithing. Teaching so, is laying to the brothers in order to obtain their money.

Upvote 0

Goinheix

Dec 23, 2010
Montevideo Uruguay
✟2,018.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
FALSE
“God requires us to go to church to assemble ourselves together to praise Him and do His work”.
[FONT=&quot]The above statement it is false if means going to church. God does not require us to go to the human organization names Church. Christians does not go to the church, Christian are the church.

[/FONT]

Upvote 0