Country
Canada
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Today I decided that I would like to make a big batch of rice pudding—because I love rice pudding, haven't had it in ages, and why not. However, times are tough right now and my wallet could feel all the milk that went into making the stuff.

So, while I let it simmer on the stove and do its rice pudding thing, I thought it might be worth looking at powdered milk as possibly a cheaper option for my family. I remember we had to do that back in the day, during the recession in the 1980s, because we couldn't afford real milk.

We mostly use milk in baking and cooking, anyway—especially pancakes and muffins—where the taste difference between real milk and powdered would just disappear. And for times when we need it plain, like in a bowl of cereal, I could add things to it that would make it more palatable, maybe a touch of vanilla and a hint of nutmeg. I could make this doable.

But, as I am looking at these prices, something seemed a little off. This didn't exactly feel much cheaper. I was looking at 2.5 kg of skim milk powder for $42 (prices are in Canadian dollars) and thinking maybe they might actually cost the same amount. So, I decided to crunch some numbers and, assuming my math works out, I was appalled to discover that powdered milk is actually more expensive than regular dairy milk!

And I mean significantly more expensive. If 500 g of skim milk powder costs $8.40 and makes four liters of milk, then it is over a dollar more expensive, on average, than the same amount of regular milk. In other words, 250 mL of milk from powder is 53 cents whereas 250 mL of regular milk runs about 44 cents—almost ten cents more expensive per cup.

Welcome to Justinflation (or Bidenflation), where now even powdered milk is out of reach for the poor. What a time to be alive.

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟677,077.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, I think powdered milk is often more than real milk. Part of the reason might be that stores often sell milk as a loss leader. Something everyone wants to buy, so gets you into the store. Go for the real stuff and enjoy your rice pudding!

Upvote 0

godisagardener

Romans 10:6-9, Ephesians 2:8-10
Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟63,443.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I've tried using powdered milk for baking over the years but the price has always been exorbitantly high compared to regular milk; I don't think the high cost is a sudden thing, at least not in the US. Various bread recipes I used would call for small amounts, but I finally gave up on those. It wasn't worth the extra cost. I just use regular milk, which is hovering around $3 per gallon.

I suppose the higher cost is a result of extra processing.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟564,900.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You have to remember all these people in power are into 6 figures and so an extra buck for milk in meaningless to them.
They really think all the inflation talk is silly.

Upvote 0

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟70,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Inflation is a world-wide issue right now, not just North America. Inflation Rate - Countries - List

We're coming out a low-inflation 10 year period of 2% in the US, when historically, US inflation averages 4-5% over the last 60 years.

It is more than just one Canadian PM or US President, it is the world economy which neither controls.

1677764661358.png

Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0