United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Broccoli Cheddar Soup​

This recipe takes about 30 minutes and is pretty easy to make. And it’s a pretty close copy of Panera’s famous broccoli cheese soup. Dare I say this version is even more delicious?

Ingredients (serves 6-8)

• 1 tablespoon plus ¼ cup butter, separated
  • 1 onion, diced
  • ¼ cup flour
  • 2 cups milk
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 head of broccoli, diced
  • 2 large carrots, diced
  • 2 celery ribs, diced
  • 2 ½ cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (I shred a 16 oz block of Cheddar cheese it melts better if I shred it myself vs buying it shredded)
  • salt and ground black pepper to taste
Directions:

The first step is dicing up all those vegetables. Dice the onion, carrots, celery and broccoli. Set aside the broccoli (the other three can be combined).

Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large soup pot (I typically use a Dutch oven) over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrots, and celery; cook and stir until onion is tender and translucent and all vegetables are softened and slightly golden, about 5 minutes.

Turn down the heat to low and add 1/4 cup butter to the pot. Just as it melts, add ¼ cup flour to the pot and whisk together over medium-low heat. Continue to whisk and cook until slightly bubbling.

Gradually pour in the milk while whisking constantly, then stir in chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Add broccoli and simmer for about 20 minutes.

While the soup is simmering, grate your cheese. After the 20 minutes are up, turn off the heat or turn it down very low, and stir in the cheese until melted. Season with salt to taste, and enjoy!

Serve with a loaf of crusty bread, grilled cheese sandwiches, or a salad.

If you’d like to make something else, let me introduce you to another simple but beloved recipe in our family, which we affectionately call “Mission House potatoes” after a favorite meal at a now-closed cafe near our old home.

Mission House Cheesy Potatoes​

This recipe can be easily customized with any amount of potatoes and just about any cheese you have on hand. You could also use a different vegetable, like broccoli or cauliflower. It’s always delicious!

Serves 4-6

Ingredients
:

• 2 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes, quartered
  • 2 tbsp Olive oil
  • Garlic powder to taste
  • Onion powder to taste
  • Salt to taste
  • 1-2 cups cheese of choice (I prefer chihuahua cheese or mozzarella, but any kind works)
Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and add potatoes. Boil for about 10-12 minutes, until barely tender. Drain and let potatoes cool for about 10 minutes.

Chop potatoes into large 1-inch cubes. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add olive oil. Add potatoes and let cook, stirring occasionally and adding more olive oil as needed to prevent sticking, until golden brown. Generously salt potatoes and add other spices if desired (small children might want only salt).

Alternately, you can bake the potatoes instead of pan-frying them. Either way works great!

In that case, after chopping the potatoes, toss them in olive oil, salt, and spices, and roast in a 400-degree oven for 20 minutes.

Generously layer shredded cheese over the hot, cooked potatoes. Feel free to use more or less cheese depending on your preference. Serve warm.

Continued below.