faithgoeson

Sep 23, 2006
Missouri
✟8,291.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
We had two funerals for Cheryl. One in Iowa City, and one in Tulsa. She had been talking lately about returning to Tulsa, where the spiritual atmosphere is much lighter than in Iowa City (it is very dark and oppressive here in the spirit and she was very sensitive spiritually), and where her son & daughter are. We couldn't not have one here for our church family and for friends. And the one in Tulsa was for our relatives and old friends in Oklahoma. And I couldn't stand to bury her here....

Anyway, being with people and being focused on things to do got me through. The funerals themselves helped, as well, because they were in large part worship services. She so loved to worship and be in God's presence, and for a Christian a funeral should be a celebration of someone making it across the finish line into glory. And God is God and deserves our worship. Each service had two worship sets of 3 or 4 songs. But the time spent in worship helped me, as well.

The worst time so far has been from Monday night when I got back to the house from OK and the two days following. I don't know how those without the Lord get through this. This is the worst thing that has ever happened to me, losing part of me, body and soul, tied to my spirit. There are times that I think that I can't do this...but God still has plans for me, I have to go on. The worst are the what-ifs: what if I called 911 right away, what if Cheryl had of gone ahead with chemo after the first surgery when we thought the cancer had all been gotten instead of finishing her student teaching, what if I'd prayed more sooner, what if???????!

Last Wed. I went up to the local prayer center (IHOP mentioned earlier) for their weekly staff prayer time. No one was there... :scratch: Eventually someone showed up for another (private) meeting, she put a CD on for me and I just spent time with the Lord for a while by myself. On my way out I ran into the other person in the meeting (both are staffers there) and she asked if she could pray for me. She prayed for comfort and other things, but she really hit hard on peace..."a strange peace that is beyond understanding". She is a prayer warrior! Since then, even though physically I have not felt all that well, I have had a strange peace. I miss Cheryl terribly. Our marriage was good and getting better, our lives, our futures, were so joined together that this separation is, well, if you've been through it you know. I want her back, or even better I want to be with her in heaven (yay! with Cheryl and, even better, with God!), but still, I now have peace anyway.

I don't know how to make it but walk with Him day by day, praise Him, stand in what I know, let Him be God. I have also been encouraged by some of Rick Joyner's writings about grace, being an overcomer, and praising God (despite circumstances).

May God bless all of you!
It is just amazing the peace the Lord can give us if we just let Him to do His job. You keep remembering that, and you're going to be okay. This year is going to be hard for you. The holidays especially. There's no reason to sugar-coat it. Grief is ugly and hard. Just know that all of us are praying daily for you. I pray you will grow from this experience and be able to use it somehow to further the kingdom of God, according to His devine will. May the Lord give you strength beyond measure, and peace in your grieving heart. I also pray the Holy Spirit will gently remind you when it's time to rest, eat, be alone, cry, and be with friends. It's so easy to get so caught up in grief that we forget to take care of ourselves. God bless you.

Upvote 0

pauldst

Oct 17, 2006
Redding, CA
✟8,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
It is just amazing the peace the Lord can give us if we just let Him to do His job. You keep remembering that, and you're going to be okay. This year is going to be hard for you. The holidays especially. There's no reason to sugar-coat it. Grief is ugly and hard. Just know that all of us are praying daily for you. I pray you will grow from this experience and be able to use it somehow to further the kingdom of God, according to His devine will. May the Lord give you strength beyond measure, and peace in your grieving heart. I also pray the Holy Spirit will gently remind you when it's time to rest, eat, be alone, cry, and be with friends. It's so easy to get so caught up in grief that we forget to take care of ourselves. God bless you.

Thank you, faithgoeson. I'm not very good at making myself eat all the time normally, breakfast mainly--by the time I get fully woke up I've gotten busy and don't always bother to eat, sometimes until mid-afternoon! :doh: --and this hasn't helped, but at least I've now recovered my appetite. :yum:

Time to go, I've been invited to some church friends for food and World Series.

Upvote 0

pauldst

Oct 17, 2006
Redding, CA
✟8,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
Yesterdays grief hit of the day...purple M&M's! Not a big hit, but one that surprised me. The dark chocolate M&M's, at least the Star Wars ones, are blue, grey, black, maroon, and purple. Cheryl preferred I hide the M&M's from her because she wasn't very good at stopping once she started. So when I ate some (I'm a lot more contolled in my chocolate consumption) I would save her the purple ones. I got a small handful of M&M's yesterday to have something sweet after lunch starting eating them...and couldn't eat the purple ones. :sigh: I ended up with three purple M&M's sitting on the table next to the sofa until this afternoon, when I figured they'd sat there long enough and ate them.

I am recovering my taste for chocolate, although I'm not craving it at all yet.

Oh well.

Upvote 0

faithgoeson

Sep 23, 2006
Missouri
✟8,291.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Yesterdays grief hit of the day...purple M&M's! Not a big hit, but one that surprised me. The dark chocolate M&M's, at least the Star Wars ones, are blue, grey, black, maroon, and purple. Cheryl preferred I hide the M&M's from her because she wasn't very good at stopping once she started. So when I ate some (I'm a lot more contolled in my chocolate consumption) I would save her the purple ones. I got a small handful of M&M's yesterday to have something sweet after lunch starting eating them...and couldn't eat the purple ones. :sigh: I ended up with three purple M&M's sitting on the table next to the sofa until this afternoon, when I figured they'd sat there long enough and ate them.

I am recovering my taste for chocolate, although I'm not craving it at all yet.

Oh well.
Bless your heart. It's crazy the things that can bring us back in time and bring on the grief again. I'm glad you finally ate them. That's a step forward.

Upvote 0

cajunhillbilly

Jul 4, 2004
Dallas, TX
✟16,522.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
paul, even one year after my wife died, I find things to remind me and bring on the grief. I see a book by one of her favorite authors and think "I need to get that for Christy". Then I remember she is gone and it hits me again. It seems even a year after the fact that my life is often colored by sadness and melancholy. Even my happy moments make me think that I can no longer share this with christy. But God and time is slowly healing me

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pauldst

Oct 17, 2006
Redding, CA
✟8,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
:( Freak out moment: I'm about to take the first load of Cheryl's clothes away.

I have a friend, a contractor who does work for us. He married a woman from another country. She came with only one suitcase. She is, I think, about Cheryl's size, so, if they fit, she is going to get most of the clothes. And some of the other stuff. I am about to take some stuff by there, some winter clothes that are still in the storage tubs, and some things like the hair dryer. I am glad to do it, but still, it is hard. :sigh:

I'll be okay...just getting it out...

Paul

Upvote 0

JeanR

Resting in the Lord
Nov 3, 2006
✟15,934.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
I know I have to go through Terry's clothes and things, but I just can't bring myself to do it. His clothes are still laying on our bedroom floor and his sneakers are still next to the bed.

I have gone through his office at work and brought home his personal things, but I just can't seem to do the same thing at home. I know I have to, but I just can't yet.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ComesoonmyLORD

I've been delivered and Redeemed!
Jun 22, 2006
North Mississippi
✟7,931.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Guys, take your time. At your stage of this, don't rush these things. It took me several months to go through Ginger's closet and her hope chest. Don't put pressure where no pressure is needed. There's no hurry. You have to allow yourself time. God Bless. Press On!

Upvote 0

pauldst

Oct 17, 2006
Redding, CA
✟8,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
Guys, take your time. At your stage of this, don't rush these things. It took me several months to go through Ginger's closet and her hope chest. Don't put pressure where no pressure is needed. There's no hurry. You have to allow yourself time. God Bless. Press On!
Thanks, ComesoonmyLORD, but I have to do a lot of this. I really need to begin preparing to get out of this house, and this is the obvious starting place. I need to get this house up for sale and it needs to be sold. Staying here in a house that is too big for me and more than twice the mortgage payment I should have, not to mention the emptiness of it with just Yuri (cat) and I and no Cheryl.... I'm not sure exactly what is going to happen or how, but I need to do this part. We own another house, I mean I own another house, the one we lived in for over 4 years, and I can move back to that after my parents move out (temporary abode while their new house is under construction) in the next few weeks. But i'm not sure if that is the best either, since a church wants to buy it from me (that depends on city approval, tho) and I hate to pass up a buyer. I might build something else to live in, or God may move me soon, I don't know yet (I will when I need to), I just know that I need to start getting ready to get out of here.

Sorry, babbling. It also hurts to hve so many things around that make it seem like she is still here...and I know that God does want me to move on (not that He is saying not to grieve, either).

:sigh:

But God is good! :bow: :clap:

Upvote 0

JeanR

Resting in the Lord
Nov 3, 2006
✟15,934.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
You all have become a lifeline for me. No one seems to know how to act around me. I just can't take one more hug or condolence, but I know that at some point people will stop and then the loneliness will be worse.

My sons live at home and have been so wonderful. My daughter is away at school and my other daughter is married and living in Europe. They are both struggling. Please pray for them. At least the boys and I have each other.

The evenings are the worst. I just miss him so much. I know that God will take care of us, but I just miss my husband.

Upvote 0

ComesoonmyLORD

I've been delivered and Redeemed!
Jun 22, 2006
North Mississippi
✟7,931.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Paul- I understand. I'm praying for strength for you. May God fill you with His strength, peace and comfort.

Jean- I understand about the hugs. I kinda got tired of them pretty quick. One day a lady, who always hugged me on Wednesday nights, came up and hugged. For some reason I had to fight back the tears. I guess deep inside I needed a hug and just didn't really know it or want it at the time. They mean no harm though, most don't know what else to do.
The nights were also very hard. Especially after the kids were all fast asleep, the washing was done and dryer running, a short bible study completed, but I wasn't ready for sleep. Everytime I closed my eyes I could hear her voice, see her wonderful smile looking back at me, smell her hair. You'll eventually work through this though. Just remember he's home now, no more pain, no more sorrow from this evil world. Press on brother and sister! Press on!

Upvote 0

pauldst

Oct 17, 2006
Redding, CA
✟8,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks, ComesoonmyLORD.

On my recent trip to Tulsa I stayed with a man who lost his wife to cancer a little over a year ago. He seemed to keep rather busy in the evenings, not only with church, but with prayer meetings and with visiting with other Christians. But, his kids were grown and gone....

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.