TikTok ruined my husband of 12 years — now he wants a ‘tradwife’ and we’re getting divorced

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
TikTok has long been accused of ruining attention spans — now but the app is under fire for destroying marriages, too.

A distraught wife has taken to Reddit to reveal that the social media app completely changed her husband’s character, causing the end of the 12-year union.

The anonymous woman, aged 37, said she and her hubby were seemingly happy together before he became hooked on TikTok’s “tradwife” videos.

A “tradwife” — short for a “traditional wife” — refers to a woman who has proudly eschewed a career in favor of domestic duties, such as cooking, cleaning, and child-rearing. A tradwife typically believes a working woman hurts the nuclear family, and aims to cater to her husband’s every whim.

On TikTok, the “tradwife” hashtag has clocked up a whopping 296.5M views and has made unexpected stars out of several woman who show off their happy home lives.

In her Reddit post, the divorcing woman explained that her husband happened upon the videos earlier this year.

Continued below.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Those videos are brainwashing gullible people. They can be weirdly calming but they are unrealistic. It’s sad the effect they have on people to the point of divorce. Its all staged and meticulously planned and edited. All influencer content is a performance, after all.

I have nothing against traditional marriage. I have a traditional marriage but I think it’s stepped outside its realistic boundaries. Even June Cleaver was ans ideal on television. Real life simple does not work that way. Everyday is not a schedule of uninterrupted routines…

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The idea that a woman’s place is always in the home is out of touch for everyone except a small cadre of wealthy and overwhelmingly white elites.

Continued below.

Upvote 0