Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Seems there is a big trend on Tik Tok about marrying rich.

One, Dixie D’Amelio, a 22-year-old influencer with a 57 million strong fanbase, went viral for a video in which she complains about having to work and decides she is going to ‘marry rich’ instead. She is not the only one. The hashtag How To Marry Rich has 3.9 million views on the platform and an entire online industry loudly promising to help aspirants do exactly that.

I am not naive. Dixie and her ilk are not the first with plans to marry for money. But the advice was once whispered about discreetly. That civility is lost in today’s subtitled TikTok videos.

But it’s not just that they’re indiscreet. They are also plain wrong. Marrying for money alone simply doesn’t guarantee happiness, and I should know because I live my life among women who have done it.

I was completely disarmed when — on a night out together — she congratulated the manager at a smart restaurant in Piccadilly for its success, saying: ‘The past five years have been good. I have gone from waiting at these tables to eating at them and you have added another [Michelin] star.’

No one present thought anything less of the woman. Indeed, we laughed along with her, happy for her good fortune. Her lack of pretence showed she had the one thing money cannot buy: authenticity. It was clear to everyone at the table that night that she married for love, not cash.

When you do get something wrong, which all of us do regardless of whether we went to finishing school or failed to finish A-levels, how you handle the situation is most telling.

It’s often thought that posh people are obsessed with status and who they let in or keep out of their tribe. But this isn’t true either. They do not lay tripwires across their estates, lying in wait for the next person to pronounce the ‘g’ in Magdalene.

Kindness or good manners prevent most people from making a point of another’s real or imagined shortcomings. And good manners, like almost everything else in life, come easily to those with healthy self-esteem. A chip on the shoulder, rather than an improper accent, is the undoing of so many in this world.

So, my advice for those TikTokkers who cannot be put off the pursuit of a rich man is to focus on bolstering their self-esteem. Without it, young women can feel threatened or exposed and turn defensive.

I’ve heard them lash out with passive-aggressive comments of the ‘I could never wear that, but it is lovely on you’ variety. Others go all-out nuclear. They put down a person or a place because they fear their lack of knowledge will expose their humble beginnings.

‘I cannot believe you are going to the Maldives for Christmas again,’ is one I heard most recently. Perhaps they feel being condescending goes with the territory of being wealthy. It doesn’t. It’s a hackneyed and inaccurate prejudice about how wealthy people behave. This approach is tiresome and also guaranteed to alienate the very people whose approval an aspirant craves.

Ultra-high net-worth individuals do not cultivate friends — or romantic partners — because of their perceived usefulness to them either.

They’re not looking for a prospective wife who speaks Mandarin or plays professional tennis. When they want to make a connection for work, they have business networks on hand to help. When they want an invitation, whether it is to a private island or on a trip to space, they reach out to their concierge.

To read in full:

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
British wives boasting of luxury new lives funded by millionaire husbands in Dubai have been warned they risk being dumped homeless on the streets at any moment.

Experts have revealed a surge in complaints from not only women but also men betrayed and dumped by wealthy partners after upping sticks for the Middle East.

The alert comes amid a TikTok and Instagram trend of UK women sharing footage of spending sprees in the United Arab Emirates after wedding wealthy husbands.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Seems there is a big trend on Tik Tok about marrying rich.
When you are young the first thing women ask you is what do you do for a living. They do not want to know anything until they find out how much money you make. When you get old the first question is how big is your house. They want to know how much money are you going to leave them when you die. They say they will take care of you as you get older but don't count on it, they just want your money.

Men can do the same thing, but usually they go after a rich widow that inherited a lot when her husband died. I did that once but I really don't want money from a women, I want emotional support. Actually there are more women that want emotional support than money. They just want a man who will make them feel good about themselves.

Then there are women from third world nations looking for an American husband to get them a green card. They want money also but a whole lot less than American women. They are happy just to climb out from below the poverty level. As they say, they want a roof over their head, food on their table and shoes on their feet. A bonus for them are designer clothing from a second hand store.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When you are young the first thing women ask you is what do you do for a living. They do not want to know anything until they find out how much money you make. When you get old the first question is how big is your house. They want to know how much money are you going to leave them when you die. They say they will take care of you as you get older but don't count on it, they just want your money.

Men can do the same thing, but usually they go after a rich widow that inherited a lot when her husband died. I did that once but I really don't want money from a women, I want emotional support. Actually there are more women that want emotional support than money. They just want a man who will make them feel good about themselves.

Then there are women from third world nations looking for an American husband to get them a green card. They want money also but a whole lot less than American women. They are happy just to climb out from below the poverty level. As they say, they want a roof over their head, food on their table and shoes on their feet. A bonus for them are designer clothing from a second hand store.
I suppose it’s an issue as old as time but the internet and television shows magnify it. There is nothing wrong with wanting security. The problem is when it reaches narcissist levels such as what was mentioned in the op. It’s not marriage, just a business agreement and love if it was ever there, usually does not grow in those arrangements. Both are appeasing themselves in the meantime till the next best thing comes along.

Last edited:
Upvote 0