✟83,577.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 19:

10 The disciples said to him, “If such is the case of a man with his wife, it is better not to marry.”
This is the context: a man marrying a woman. The disciples are thinking about the usual case: people interested in man-woman marriage by genetic personal inclination. But Jesus points out three exceptions:

11 But he said to them, “Not everyone can receive this saying, but only those to whom it is given. 12 For there are eunuchs who have been so from birth,
  1. These include homosexual, asexual, intersex, and hermaphrodite (ἑρμαφρόδιτος).
and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by men,
2. People who have lost their sex drive due to physical castration.

and there are eunuchs who have made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. Let the one who is able to receive this receive it.”
3. People who voluntarily decide not to get married. Revelation 14 mentions a particular group of virgins:

1 Then I looked, and there before me was the Lamb, standing on Mount Zion, and with him 144,000 who had his name and his Father’s name written on their foreheads.
4 These are those who did not defile themselves with women, for they remained virgins. They follow the Lamb wherever he goes. They were purchased from among mankind and offered as firstfruits to God and the Lamb. 5 No lie was found in their mouths; they are blameless.

Last edited:

Dikaioumenoi

Jun 29, 2016
North Carolina
✟19,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
The three categories are:
  1. Those who, by no choice of themselves or anyone else, were born without reproductive capacity (i.e. birth defect).
  2. Those who, by choice of others, were castrated (for punishment, or for working in harems, etc.).
  3. Those who, by their own choice, castrated themselves for the sake of the kingdom (or, possibly the identification of eunuch here is simply meant figuratively to represent celibacy).
These instances describe various forms of sexual incapacity, not sexual orientation. The distinction lies choice (i.e. whether it's theirs, someone else's, or no-ones), specifically the underlying reason for their sexual incapacity. The differentiation doesn't classify types of eunuchs, in the sense of defining what a eunuch is, but rather addresses the different circumstances or causes behind each eunuch's sexual incapacity. I see no exegetical evidence suggesting that this passages references homosexuals.

In context, Jesus addresses the issue of adhering to the law too strictly. He uses divorce as an example. While Jewish law allowed divorce, Jesus emphasizes that it should be a last resort, not an easy solution to marital difficulties. The disciples struggle with this teaching, fearing that it implies an unbreakable marital commitment regardless of circumstances. This leads them to suggest that abstaining from marriage altogether might be preferable (v. 10). Jesus responds by acknowledging that not everyone can accept this teaching. It's not about the idea of marrying someone of the opposite sex, but rather the concept of marriage without the option of divorce if things go bad. The point is simply that not everyone is suited for marriage. Jesus cites eunuchs as an example to illustrate that some are called to abstain from sexual relations altogether, for various reasons. It's not about orientation.

• Useful
Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟83,577.00
Country
Canada
Faith