✟186,963.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Merry Christmas!

This woman I met on a dating site , is a local ordained minister. She had mentioned that she's not promoting Christmas, but Hanukkah in the New Testament and the 2nd coming. That there will be a 2nd Hanukkah and leads into this anti-Christ, Revelation talk, etc. Mentions Lord Yeshua by name.

What irked me when she opened up with not promoting Christmas because it's a "Catholic tradition"
I did a double take as my roots are heavily Catholic, both sides of the family....and even this is news to me.

Is this her attempt to demonize a particular religion? As an ordained minister, how off the mark is she? I thought Christmas was all Christians, yes?

Won't even promote Christmas on Christmas? I just find that a bit off-putting. What's her angle/agenda?

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
She’s probably one of those ‘Messianic Jews’.

They certainly are not accepted by the Jews and their claim as Christians is also questioned by most.

I’ll keep my opinion to myself, but that’s my guess.

Upvote 0

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟186,963.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

They certainly are not accepted by the Jews and their claim as Christians is also questioned by most.

I just Googled Messianic Jew, and it came up with "Jews for Jesus" as another term.

sampa
sampa
Jews for Jesus is an organization, but not the messianic Jews as a denomination. A couple decades ago I handed out tracks in New York City witnessing with them. I've gone to a church once locally used to exist that was Messianic Jews. Sabbath is really important.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Merry Christmas!

This woman I met on a dating site , is a local ordained minister. She had mentioned that she's not promoting Christmas, but Hanukkah in the New Testament and the 2nd coming. That there will be a 2nd Hanukkah and leads into this anti-Christ, Revelation talk, etc. Mentions Lord Yeshua by name.

What irked me when she opened up with not promoting Christmas because it's a "Catholic tradition"
I did a double take as my roots are heavily Catholic, both sides of the family....and even this is news to me.

Is this her attempt to demonize a particular religion? As an ordained minister, how off the mark is she? I thought Christmas was all Christians, yes?

Won't even promote Christmas on Christmas? I just find that a bit off-putting. What's her angle/agenda?

Merry Christmas!

I agree with @High Fidelity in that it sounds like she's Messianic. Who knows if she's demonizing Catholicism or not. There is still plenty of anti-Catholic and anti-Protestant prejudice out there, which is sad. I hope you're not looking to date her. Already, it doesn't sound like a good match. ;)

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I just Googled Messianic Jew, and it came up with "Jews for Jesus" as another term.
Yeah that’s the ones, a lot more to it than that.

I’m yet to meet one that’s actually Jewish, that is by Jewish law (a Jewish mother) or one that has undergone conversion via a Beth Din to be considered a Jew.

It’s very strange to be honest.

Upvote 0

Reluctant Theologian

אַבְרָהָם
Jul 13, 2021
QLD
✟71,408.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This lady has a point in that X-mas is not instructed/ordained in the Bible, and was not celebrated by believers in the first centuries. While indeed Hanukkah was celebrated by Jesus already - yet Hanukkah is not part of the Tora instructions; as it emerged from events in the inter-testament period.

Easter/Passover was the main Christian feast celebrated by believers in the early church.

My personal perspective: celebrating X-mas is an option for believers (which I still enjoy doing), not a obligation. And the date of Jesus' birth was probably not December 25th either, but that's an entirely different topic.

• Winner
Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jews for Jesus is not involved in Hebrew Roots, Messianic Judaism or similar . They actually oppose these groups.
Blessings.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Merry Christmas!

There are a few Christian Judaizer groups and I dont mean to sound disrespectful but they have been around since the first century. This link may help explain:

Blessings.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Merry Christmas!

You might try Catholic Singles. Over 15 years ago I rented from a lady who attended their meetings.

• Useful
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, Christmas means 'Christ's Mass.' It is Catholic in origin. But Christ's birth wasn't originally celebrated. The early church fathers, nor apostles, celebrated it.

Like a lot of minor things, Protestants seem to have different views on it. For example Martin Luther celebrated it, but a lot of Protestants who came to the United States didn't care for it, & it only exploded w/ them in the US more recently (around World War II I believe)

Every believer I know celebrates it. My objections to Christmas wouldn't be that it's Catholic, but rather it's heavily secularized. Instead of Christ, the focus is on Santa Claus, elves, snowmen come to life, over-the-top decorations, & pagan messages like 'the real meaning of Christmas is giving.' I think a proper perspective of celebrating Christmas is to do it humbly. I can see no reason why the apostles & early church fathers would object to celebrating the Messiah as foretold finally came. A lot of church teachings on Christmas relate to this, & tie back to the Old Testament prophecies. Another mistake people make is making only Christmas & Easter those days in which Christ is celebrated, but believers s/b doing it all the time.

If she objected to Christmas b/c of those reasons, I could understand, but this sounds different form that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Every believer I know celebrates it. My objections to Christmas wouldn't be that it's Catholic, but rather it's heavily secularized. Instead of Christ, the focus is on Santa Claus, elves, snowmen come to life, over-the-top decorations, & pagan messages like 'the real meaning of Christmas is giving.' I think a proper perspective of celebrating Christmas is to do it humbly. I can see no reason why the apostles & early church fathers would object to celebrating the Messiah as foretold finally came. A lot of church teachings on Christmas relate to this, & tie back to the Old Testament prophecies. Another mistake people make is making only Christmas & Easter those days in which Christ is celebrated, but believers s/b doing it all the time.
Paul revealed Jesus taught it is more blessed to give than to receive.

Acts 20:35 (WEB) In all things I gave you an example, that so laboring you ought to help the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that he himself said, 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.’

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican

I agree with this comment.

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Paul revealed Jesus taught it is more blessed to give than to receive.

Acts 20:35 (WEB) In all things I gave you an example, that so laboring you ought to help the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that he himself said, 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.’
That is a good message, but as Believers, we believe the true meaning of Christmas is that the Messiah has come.

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Here are some dates I found unintentionally (from a secular source)
221 Julias Africianus estimates the date of Jesus's conception is March 25 (9 months later is December 25.
336 Under Emperor Constantine who made Christianity the state religion, Rome officially begins celebrating the birth. The holiday is minor
900 Gets a formal liturgy
1038: Christes maesse is termed
1620 Pilgrims coming to the US ban the celebration of Christmas b/c they think it's pagan
1861: Laws banning Christmas in US & Britian go away.

I wish the article had more on between 900 & 1620.

The article also mentions on December 17 500 BC, there were festivals for decorating trees, feasting, & gift-giving.........I won't go down that rabbithole b/c I haven't done a lot of research on it, but still interesting that's what this article says.

Also, the article uses the dumb BCE & CE (Before the Common Era & The Common Era) for the dates. Apparently the writer doesn't understand what that means.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GodBeMercifulToMeASinner

Sep 21, 2022
The South
✟28,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don’t see anything wrong with her not endorsing Christmas..the issue is that it isn’t her place to be in a position of spiritual authority over men in a minister’s role, it is unbiblical, just like Christmas.

Christmas is 100% pagan, they added a baby Jesus in a manger in order to unite christians and pagans, encouraging fellowship with darkness. It’s true origins go back further than what most are led to believe and the first practitioners of this holiday worshipped false gods. It has existed long before they dressed it up to appeal to carnal, worldly Christians. Christmas is ‘strange fire’ to God, we are not to worship Him via pagan ways. We are to worship Him by how we live on a daily basis.

One of the things this pagan festival revolves around is lying to children. Do the scriptures not say that liars will have their place in the lake? Lying to Children saying a pagan mythical man with god-like abilities delivers them presents. Also instilling a sense of greed, entitlement, mass consumerism, materialism, etc into children at a young age. Then as they grow older and realize the pagan mythology of Santa is fake, perhaps they will feel the same about Jesus Christ who is vaguely lip-serviced on occasion during this pagan festival?

There’s also drunkenness, gluttony, all sorts of other sinfulness. People can kid themselves all they like but it is written, we are not to worship God by the ways of the pagans such as Christmas. It is strange fire, and an abomination. The funny thing is, when I am out there in the world I always hear pagans and self-proclaimed Christian false converts say they don’t want to be preached to blah blah blah, don’t force your ways on others etc. Well what I am seeing here is it is the pagans, secular humanists, and self-proclaimed Christian worldly false converts who seek to impose their ways on to me by expecting me to partake in their pagan holidays like Christmas, and Easter. Speaking of which..Good Friday to Sunday..my Bible tells me He rose on the 3rd day. So perhaps I am not a mathematical genius but I am having a hard time getting 3 days between Friday and Sunday. Then there’s the bunnies and eggs thing..pagan fertility god worship. More strange fire just like Christmas. An abomination before the Lord.

Upvote 0

LoveDivine

May 20, 2015
✟189,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don’t see anything wrong with her not endorsing Christmas..the issue is that it isn’t her place to be in a position of spiritual authority over men in a minister’s role, it is unbiblical, just like Christmas.

Christmas is 100% pagan, they added a baby Jesus in a manger in order to unite christians and pagans, encouraging fellowship with darkness. It’s true origins go back further than what most are led to believe and the first practitioners of this holiday worshipped false gods. It has existed long before they dressed it up to appeal to carnal, worldly Christians. Christmas is ‘strange fire’ to God, we are not to worship Him via pagan ways. We are to worship Him by how we live on a daily basis.

One of the things this pagan festival revolves around is lying to children. Do the scriptures not say that liars will have their place in the lake? Lying to Children saying a pagan mythical man with god-like abilities delivers them presents. Also instilling a sense of greed, entitlement, mass consumerism, materialism, etc into children at a young age. Then as they grow older and realize the pagan mythology of Santa is fake, perhaps they will feel the same about Jesus Christ who is vaguely lip-serviced on occasion during this pagan festival?

There’s also drunkenness, gluttony, all sorts of other sinfulness. People can kid themselves all they like but it is written, we are not to worship God by the ways of the pagans such as Christmas. It is strange fire, and an abomination. The funny thing is, when I am out there in the world I always hear pagans and self-proclaimed Christian false converts say they don’t want to be preached to blah blah blah, don’t force your ways on others etc. Well what I am seeing here is it is the pagans, secular humanists, and self-proclaimed Christian worldly false converts who seek to impose their ways on to me by expecting me to partake in their pagan holidays like Christmas, and Easter. Speaking of which..Good Friday to Sunday..my Bible tells me He rose on the 3rd day. So perhaps I am not a mathematical genius but I am having a hard time getting 3 days between Friday and Sunday. Then there’s the bunnies and eggs thing..pagan fertility god worship. More strange fire just like Christmas. An abomination before the Lord.
The Jewish reckoning of time was that any part of a day counted as a full day. Thus, Christ could be crucified on a Friday and arise on a Sunday and it be counted as 3 days.

Upvote 0

GodBeMercifulToMeASinner

Sep 21, 2022
The South
✟28,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Jewish reckoning of time was that any part of a day counted as a full day. Thus, Christ could be crucified on a Friday and arise on a Sunday and it be counted as 3 days.
That may be. But what about the 3 nights also proclaimed in the scriptures? I’m not interested in the jewish reckoning of time. Only what the scriptures say, that is the ultimate authority:

“For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.”
Matthew 12:40

This is why outside sources and opinions from modern pastors who keep these holidays are invalid. The further the discussion deviates from the word of God, the bigger the manmade lies become. So no matter how it is twisted by man, the scriptures say 3 days and 3 nights. You cannot possibly get that from Friday to Sunday. Even still, that doesn’t account for the fertility symbolism associated with the pagan Easter holiday. Easter is ‘strange fire’ to God.

Now to be clear, I get it. Truly I do. I can confidently say I have done as much if not more to offend God than anyone on this entire website. Including KNOWINGLY. I do not condemn the people who keep these holidays, it surely isn’t my place. All I am allowed to do is say what I’ve found after looking into these matters and no longer observe them myself or go along with the popular narrative. Scripture is the final authority.

Upvote 0