Magnolia, AR
✟997,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Many of the chapters covered in the last three days' reading have mentioned Melchizedek often, the king of Salem spoken of at the beginning of Hebrews 7. I wonder if Scripture means to say that he is a forerunner of sorts to Jesus Christ come, thousands of years later after Abraham's time, in the flesh ->

For this Melchizedek, king of Salem, priest of the Most High God, met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings and blessed him. 2 To him Abraham also gave a tenth part of everything. In the first place, his name is translated “king of righteousness,” and then also he is king of Salem, which means “king of peace.” 3 Without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days nor end of life, but made like the Son of God, he continually remains a priest.

This is the passage from today's reading that stood out most to me, at the tail end of Hebrews 7 ->
For the law appoints men who are weak as high priests, but the word of the oath, which came after the law, appoints a Son who is made perfect forever.

Reactions: sampa
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟997,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
DAY 290

Jeremiah 52
Psalms 74
Lamentations 1

If I recall correctly, Lamentations consisted of a sort of poetic mourning over the fall of Jerusalem when Babylon invaded in the book of Jeremiah previously. So it is fitting that thematically, this comes next in the reading.

And apparently I had the basic idea correct since, searching for a summary of Lamentations wight quick in Google, this was one of the first results to comes up, from the Insight For Living Ministries site (Book of Lamentations Overview - Insight for Living Ministries). This might be worth using as a companion to our time reading through Lamentations ->

Like the book of Job, Lamentations pictures a man of God puzzling over the results of evil and suffering in the world. However, while Job dealt with unexplained evil, Jeremiah lamented a tragedy entirely of Jerusalem’s making. The people of this once great city experienced the judgment of the holy God, and the results were devastating. But at the heart of this book, at the center of this lament over the effects of sin in the world, sit a few verses devoted to hope in the Lord (Lamentations 3:22–25). This statement of faith standing strong in the midst of the surrounding darkness shines as a beacon to all those suffering under the consequences of their own sin and disobedience.

I think the sentiments insinuated here are sound. They express a sort of hope that, no matter how great and even devastating chastisement from the Lord might have seemed to both the Israelites throughout the OT - and also us here as we walk with Him in each of our lives in the present day, He always seems to promise restoration in the end. Healing. I have always said throughout the years I have been a part of this community, after all, that among my most treasured passages from Scripture does come from Lamentations. Chapter 3:21-23, after a period of time in 2012 in which I suffered greatly from Scrupulosity.

Thus, in my experience, even punishment from the Lord seems to ultimately come from a Hand of admonishment and chastisement toward wayward children whom He still loves, rather than from anger toward an enemy who He will despise and hold a vendetta against forever. How fortunate we are to have such a God Who created us and is watching over us.

Upvote 0