✟30,661.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
1. There are canons
Pseudo-Dionysius and Pseudo-John the Faster?

3. no again ...it has to do with the fall...the way women bear children and the reminding us of what man lost with his folly.
As St. Gregory the Great said, all of our infirmities result from the incompleteness and fallenness of humanity. One does not abstain from communion due to fallen hunger, thirst, etc. No woman should ever be told to abstain due to menstruation; if she chooses to, that's her business, but she shouldn't be taught that it is law by anyone, including older lay women.

yeah it seems like a remnant of an old law.... But if we believe Christ did not come to abolish the law then that canon according to traditionalists should hold ;) I think that is what the ones who hold this view would say.

No disrespect, but that justification is heretical (Judaizing). We are not bound by the Law.

Upvote 0

Joseph Hazen

The Religious Loudmouth
May 2, 2011
The Silent Planet
✟17,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You shouldn't in that case! Unless you're sure it's definitely stopped bleeding by then. At least, this is the common teaching, not a joke or a rarity. I'd take this concern more seriously than menstruation - they're separate systems from the usual flow of blood.

I know. The bleeding had stopped. I phrased it semi-jokingly because I had never had to ask because of this reason, and didn't know if I was being a convertsky or not, and because really, "cut" is probably too graphic for what it was. I scraped my finger or something, I remember it was like, a drop of blood had come out. I think my priest's exact words, when I showed him the "wound" was "No, not for that."

As a general appeal to this thread, however, I'd like to remind everyone what week we're in. We are this close to the most important and significant celebration in history and are all, hopefully, preparing ourselves spiritually for the Feast of Feasts. The tone in the thread seems to be escalating, so, not that I'm any pure-and-innocent, and not that I'm blaming or implicating any individual, but I'd like to remind everyone, let's be charitable. Obviously our sister has been very, severely hurt by this tradition, and it's right for us to discuss it and be there for her, but let's frame the discussion within the context of this Sacred time we're experiencing.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It was thought that the Body and Blood of Christ would likewise flow out of your wound - old misunderstandings about how our bodies worked.

Dr George Babawi once got into trouble for something like this. he asked if the lions that would devour Christians in the arena, usually after the Christians communed, communed of the Body and Blood as well. I think it was St John Chrysostom who said as well that the Body and Blood form a mystical vapor that permeates the communicant, and therefore physical bleeding does not bleed out the Eucharist.

Upvote 0

heart of peace

Aug 12, 2015
✟10,802.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My mother and the other women of my family ingrained in my head that I was to not receive communion while I was menstruating. This is definitely a teaching of Orthodoxy. Based on what others have said in this thread, a quick Google search has shown me that some parish priests and/or dioceses are allowing menstruating women to commune. Interesting to hear that not everyone has been taught this.

Upvote 0

Mariya116

Dec 3, 2011
✟16,306.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
My mother and the other women of my family ingrained in my head that I was to not receive communion while I was menstruating. This is definitely a teaching of Orthodoxy. Based on what others have said in this thread, a quick Google search has shown me that some parish priests and/or dioceses are allowing menstruating women to commune. Interesting to hear that not everyone has been taught this.
In the Russian Church, it ranges from you can't receive communion on your period to you can't enter a church on your period and everything in between (you can come in but can't venerate, etc.) I've also grown up accepting the restrictions as something that just is, but I can see how someone else can be totally weirded out by them.

Upvote 0
Dec 22, 2010
✟1,424.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
@All women

I really dont understand - where is problem? Period - dont take communion, non-period - take communion.
Most of venerating person from humanity ,and more over, in all universe and any other dimensions,spaces(i think) - woman! Your prayers for husband, children are unique, without you our (man) existance is not complete. Be happy everyday! ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mariya116

Dec 3, 2011
✟16,306.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
@All women

I really dont understand - where is problem? Period - dont take communion, non-period - take communion.
Most of venerating person from humanity ,and more over, in all universe and any other dimensions,spaces(i think) - woman! Your prayers for husband, children are unique, without you our (man) existance is not complete. Be happy everyday! ;)
I pray for myself, not for any man.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't think it's practiced in the Greek Orthodox I've been going to.

It's never been mentioned to me not to enter the church (I wouldn't be taking communion anyway since I'm not baptized Orthodox), but no one has said anything about not coming into the church. And in watching people go for communion, I seriously doubt they are observing it for communion either. If there are 25 women in church, generally all 25 go up. I've only seen one woman (besides me) not go, and she was elderly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Pseudo-Dionysius and Pseudo-John the Faster?

No actually canons... like the Rudder? no Fathers we do not observe what the Fathers say... But priests interpret the canons of the Church and apply them.

As St. Gregory the Great said, all of our infirmities result from the incompleteness and fallenness of humanity. One does not abstain from communion due to fallen hunger, thirst, etc. No woman should ever be told to abstain due to menstruation; if she chooses to, that's her business, but she shouldn't be taught that it is law by anyone, including older lay women.
Ok I agree now if we conduct the future EC then these issues will be presented and probably updated. The older women that you scoff and look down are the very mothers who kept the faith while oppression... You have to saw respect to elderly first.... ;):D Not disagreeing with you but we need to keep it pastoral for both parties involved ok?

No disrespect, but that justification is heretical (Judaizing). We are not bound by the Law.

No it is not for if it was then .... we should not have congregations, baptism ....works... for they are judaising...just saying what would it be like if we followed to the "t" what you are saying....

Upvote 0