Things that aren't in the Bible, but people think they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IisJustMe

He rescued me because He delighted in me (Ps18:19)
Jun 23, 2006
Blue Springs, Missouri
✟23,494.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
How is he not meeting the criteria.
Everything he has said has scripture to back it up.
He is promoting the law as a necessary addition to grace. That's a lie. If that meets the criteria of the Non-Denom board, its news to me.

Upvote 0

FollowTheLamb

Steve Husting
Jun 14, 2006
Orange County, CA
Visit site
✟7,875.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Basically the same thing. Your response is trying to coat them semantically. Don't want to discuss it with you further, Fritz. You don't meet the criteria for board membrship, and I'm tired of seeing your wrong theology showing up around here.

Can you give his posts another read, brother? It seems to me that our brother cannot find in the Bible where someone dies and goes right to hell. He does not shade it with semantics, metaphor, or similes, but states plainly that although hell does exists, people do not go there straight from the land of the living. His post, though startling, clearly fits the board OP.

Please re-read his posts and give him another chance. He hasn't been around here as long as you have.

Upvote 0

Zecryphon

Aug 14, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
✟19,186.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Can you give his posts another read, brother? It seems to me that our brother cannot find in the Bible where someone dies and goes right to hell. He does not shade it with semantics, metaphor, or similes, but states plainly that although hell does exists, people do not go there straight from the land of the living. His post, though startling, clearly fits the board OP.

Please re-read his posts and give him another chance. He hasn't been around here as long as you have.
I'm not here to debate. I'm not a member so I can't do that. But I offer this for consideration.

Heb 9:27 And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment,

So if after we die we are judged where do we go after judgment?

Upvote 0

Zecryphon

Aug 14, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
✟19,186.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Where indeed? That's a very good question. If our brother wishes, he may answer that question for us. There aren't very many possibilities, are there?
I put the question to you to see your answer. Since that is a stand alone scripture citation you could accuse me of "cherry picking". One answer that could be given is "soul sleep" that we all sleep in our graves until the second coming. You could say that there is a holding place we all go to like Sheol and await judgment. You could say that we go to a place like "paradise" that Jesus referenced to the thief on the cross. But if any of those are the case, what determines whether we go to a place like Sheol after we die or a place like paradise after we die?

Upvote 0

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
Obama: 53% deserve him ;)
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"Cleanliness is next to godliness." I have yet to see that scripture in the Bible. Maybe its because ITS NOT IN THERE. LOL.
And that's why I absolutely refuse to keep our house clean or take a shower!!

:cool:

Upvote 0

FollowTheLamb

Steve Husting
Jun 14, 2006
Orange County, CA
Visit site
✟7,875.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I put the question to you to see your answer. Since that is a stand alone scripture citation you could accuse me of "cherry picking". One answer that could be given is "soul sleep" that we all sleep in our graves until the second coming. You could say that there is a holding place we all go to like Sheol and await judgment. You could say that we go to a place like "paradise" that Jesus referenced to the thief on the cross. But if any of those are the case, what determines whether we go to a place like Sheol after we die or a place like paradise after we die?
In Phil. 1:23, Paul had a desire to depart and be with Christ. It seems to me that wherever Christ is, that is where believers will be!

I wonder if our brother is thinking along the lines of the points you brought up regarding the unbelieving.

After this post, I think I'll stop this line of inquiry lest it hijack the thread entirely. It's a good thread - let's not ruin it!

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟841,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Honest question: I've not yet seen in the Bible where God is a God of order. Can someone point me to it? Thanks. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cris413

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 20, 2007
Texas
✟56,828.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Honest question: I've not yet seen in the Bible where God is a God of order. Can someone point me to it? Thanks. :)
I don't think there is a Bible version that actually reads "God is a God of order"

But I believe the extrapolation comes from 1 Corinthians 14:33

NIV

1Co 14:33 For God is not a God of disorder but of peace.
As in all the congregations of the saints,

NKJV

1Co 14:33 For God is not the author of confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints.

KJV

1Co 14:33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

NAS

1Co 14:33 for God is not a God of confusion but of peace , as in all the churches of the saints .

Upvote 0

FollowTheLamb

Steve Husting
Jun 14, 2006
Orange County, CA
Visit site
✟7,875.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I see God as a God of order in 1 Cor. 12. There, the Corinthians received gifts, but they were used in a disorderly way. Paul teaches them to speak up one at a time, at most two. "Let all things be done decently and in order."

Early scientists were so impressed with God's orderly creation that they examined it minutely to see what orderly laws governed it.

God told Adam to subdue the world, to bring it under his dominion. This is one of the reasons why I insist on an orderly house. We are to subdue and bring under our dominion (control) the duties and sphere of life in which we are placed. That includes the house. God is looking for people He can trust to put on thrones in His coming kingdom, and they will be orderly, not disorderly.

I hope this helps answer your question.

Upvote 0

IisJustMe

Jun 23, 2006
Blue Springs, Missouri
✟23,494.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Though the words are not in that specific order (no pun intended) the concept is definitely stated in Jeremiah.

Thus says the Lord, Who gives the sun for light by day And the fixed order of the moon and the stars for light by night, Who stirs up the sea so that its waves roar; The Lord of hosts is His name: "If this fixed order departs from before Me," declares the Lord, "Then the offspring of Israel also will cease from being a nation before Me forever. Thus says the Lord, "If the heavens above can be measured And the foundations of the earth searched out below, then I will also cast off all the offspring of Israel for all that they have done," declares the Lord." Jeremiah 31:35-37)

God, through the prophet, declares Himself responsible for the order of the universe, and states that Israel must order itself to His will as well. It is the most succinct declaration of our need to accept God's concept of order in our lives because of His attribute of being a God of order in His creation.

Upvote 0

IisJustMe

Jun 23, 2006
Blue Springs, Missouri
✟23,494.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
"Homosexuality is a sin." That line is often quoted as scripture as well. In fact, the word "homosexuality" did not even appear in English translations until the 1950's, and the word "Sin" is nowhere to be found anywhere near it.
Try looking up Leviticus 18:22 and Romans 1:20-26. In Leviticus, it is called "an abomination" which is the Hebrew word tow-ebah, meaning "wicked." The word translated "homosexuals" in I Corithians 6:9 and I Timothy 1:10 is the Greek arsenokoites, meaning "one who lies with a male as with a female; a sodomite, homosexual." That has been the definition of the word from the first publication of Strong's. It is also the nearly exact same wording as Leviticus 18:22. God is nothing if not consistent.

The reason "homosexuals" was not used until the 1950's is because the public morality level was much higher before then. People would have been offended to read that in God's word. It wasn't even until the 60's that television writers could safely use the word "pregnant" or that a couple depicted as husband and wife could be shown in the same bed without drawing the close scrutiny of the censors. Perhaps we should go back to those days. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Geneva][/FONT]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
L

LawsonAlan

Try looking up Leviticus 18:22 and Romans 1:20-26. In Leviticus, it is called "an abomination" which is the Hebrew word tow-ebah, meaning "wicked." The word translated "homosexuals" in I Corithians 6:9 and I Timothy 1:10 is the Greek arsenokoites, meaning "one who lies with a male as with a female; a sodomite, homosexual." That has been the definition of the word from the first publication of Strong's. It is also the nearly exact same wording as Leviticus 18:22. God is nothing if not consistent.

The reason "homosexuals" was not used until the 1950's is because the public morality level was much higher before then. People would have been offended to read that in God's word. It wasn't even until the 60's that television writers could safely use the word "pregnant" or that a couple depicted as husband and wife could be shown in the same bed without drawing the close scrutiny of the censors. Perhaps we should go back to those days.
I'm not here to argue whether homosexuality is a sin or not. Feel free to start a new thread on an appropriate forum if you'd like to discuss that with me, or anyone else.

The topic for this thread is quotes that do not exist in the bible, but are often quoted as scripture.

I gave an example that popped into my head.

Upvote 0

IisJustMe

Jun 23, 2006
Blue Springs, Missouri
✟23,494.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm not here to argue whether homosexuality is a sin or not. Feel free to start a new thread on an appropriate forum if you'd like to discuss that with me, or anyone else.

The topic for this thread is quotes that do not exist in the bible, but are often quoted as scripture.

I gave an example that popped into my head.
We prefer true examples, not misconceptions. Same warning goes here as I gave you on the other thread. You cannot debate (or disrupt) this forum.

Upvote 0

Zecryphon

Aug 14, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
✟19,186.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Thus my avoidence of debate, as well as an invitation for you to bring your debate to an appropriate forum for discussion.
Would a debate really change your current belief? This debate has happened numerous times in the Debates on Homosexuality sub-forum in Christian Philosophy & Ethics and I can't recall anyone changing their mind on this issue because of a debate and I've been involved in a couple of them myself.

Upvote 0
L

LawsonAlan

Would a debate really change your current belief? This debate has happened numerous times in the Debates on Homosexuality sub-forum in Christian Philosophy & Ethics and I can't recall anyone changing their mind on this issue because of a debate and I've been involved in a couple of them myself.
I'm curious where you stand on the subject...

I will not be allowed to debate here, which I assume would include stating my views, but I'd love to hear yours.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.