Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
An email from: an Orthodox Priest

A theologumenon (legitimate theological opinion) is one thing ... dogma quite another.

Many Orthodox do believe in an intermediate state as a theologumenon so there is no problem with that. Allow me to say though that the Immaculate Conception is more problematic, (we are not talking about Our Lady's purity here .... we all agree with that).

Bishop Kallistos has (rightly) said that the IC would be necessary IF St. Augustine had the correct interpretation on original sin. Since he linked the transmission of original sin to reproduction; purity in the west became a generational / reproductive thing. That is what lies behind IC ... not Our Lady's purity as such - which, as I said, is fine.

To set the record straight. I agree with this.

Lovingly in Christ,
Elizabeth

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Since Orthodoxy does not have the doctrine of Purgatory, and there is nothing defined about the afterlife except that heaven or hell await us at the Final Judgment, there exists several different viewpoints on what happens between the time we die and the Final Judgment.

These viewpoints are called private theological opinions. And we Orthodox are plagued with private theological opinions. This is what makes this forum interesting at times, especially when people pontificate on things that aren't defined dogmas.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Xpycoctomos said:
I see that... but you OP didn't really tie this in as it was about the IC. I just assumed you mistakenly wrote Purgatory instead of the IC.

The priest was referring to both Purgatory and the IC, but he talks about purgatory first. So I chose that topic since the IC always causes friction here. Sometimes tollhouse threads get hot, but lately not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
R

Rilian

Servus Iesu said:
I do have a feeling Aria wasn't referring to good deserts though. What is a tollhouse in Orthodoxy?

It is generally, if not universally believed in the Eastern Church that after death the soul wanders before moving to the next stage of its existence. The number usually assigned to this period is 40 days, and a number of services will be held during this time to commemorate and pray for the soul of the reposed.

A theory about what happens during this phase is that the soul passes through a series of toll houses, or telonia in Greek. It is in these toll houses that ones true self is discovered by confronting directly the passions struggled with in this life. This theory has various permutations about what happens, where, and so on. It 's not a doctrine, but passions tend to run high when this topic comes up.

I have a pdf I can post if you're interested that talks about how the soul has been viewed in Eastern thought in regards to the afterlife.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.