The words lazy, Christian's + their Bibles.

LaSpino3

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
✟2,160.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
Lets talk about the word lazy; as in lazy Christian’s. Synonyms for lazy are, sluggard, indolent, idle, slothful; adverse to labor, and not inclined to very much motion. We can be physically lazy, or mentally lazy. Some of the above words can be found in the Scriptures, slothful being one of them.

The Greek for slothful is to be slow, dull, stupid. As a past particle, its expresses a completed action. Dull of the mind; Heb.5:11, "Dull of hearing." And we are commanded, Heb.6:12, "Be not slothful." It also can mean, Matt.25:26, A "Wicked and slothful servant." Rom.12:11. Septuagint, for Hebrew Prov.6:6-9, “Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise. Ver.9, “How long wilt thou sleep, O sluggard? When will you arise out of your sleep?”

So what does lazy have to do with the Bible we use and recommend to others? I do not advocate K.J.B. only, but to counter the seeming foolish excuses why not to use it, I write the following. If you have decided not to use the K.J.B., that’s OK, but don’t make any un-founded, un-educated, mis-informed comments about the K.J.B., after all, it is the word of God; like it or not.

Someone asked, if anyone read only the K.J.B. would they have a limited understanding of God’s word? Hmmmmm, Interesting question.

There are some unfamiliar words in the K.J.B., and to this I agree. Words like “Thou, speaketh, teacheth, yea, arise, ye, etc. I mean, this is really tough stuff, especially for a lazy person. Lets take a look at today’s English. There are many English words spoken today that I don’t have a clue what people are talking about. We have come to a point in our history that we now question the meaning of the most basic, and fundamental of English words. Example;

“Does IT, mean it? Does ILLEGAL mean illegal? Does TERRIOST mean terrorist? Words are being explained according to a person’s agenda, personal opinion, or biases, and boy does this hold true when it comes to God’s word!

Today we have found ten-thousand ways to distort the truth; of course, this is nothing new. But as for me, it’s the truth of the Gospel that’s at stake. When did the K.J.B. begin to lose its following, or its appeal? It hasn’t!

As far as the 48 men who translated the K.J.Bibles ancient text, (regardless of what language the text was written in) they were the best of the best. There has never been, nor will there ever be a better company (48 +) scholars brought together for the specific work of translating Biblical text.

Are there, or have there been individual men or women as good at translating ancient text? Yes, of course! But only as individuals, or small groups: never has there been another group like the K.J.B. scholars as a whole! Now if you want to argue this point, first do your homework on the subject, then you can apologize to me later.

So what are the most popular MODERN Bibles in use today that use the A. and B. text as their foundation text? And which of these Bibles is found in our modern churches today? Following are a few.

N.I.V. copy write 1973, already suffering 4 or 5 revisions. --- N.A.S.V. About the same dates as the N.I.V. -- N.W.T. used by 20 million Jehovah Witnesses copy write, 1961. --- R.S.V. copy write, N.T. 1946, O.T. copy write, 1952. Check out any Bible that uses the A. and B. as a foundation text, you will find most, if not all have copy write dates from 1950 or later, a few being earlier, but not much earlier.

So for 350 years, concerning the majority of non-Catholic Christian’s, the K.J.V. published in hundreds of languages has, and is still being used. Catholics use the Latin Vulgate or Douay version.

Those who regard the K.J.B. as a superior interpretation, may appear to be extreme to many who use other Bibles, but ALL Christians need to be extreme when it comes to protecting the truth; extreme to the place where “Only the truth matters!”

The K.J.B. has never lost its popularity. It is the most comprehensive, and complete translation of any Bible, unless one gets commentaries, footnotes, and a lexicon included in the Bible being used. Example,

In the N.I.V., I agree for some who are still on the bottle filled with mother’s milk, it is easier to understand. Now if a person decides to continue with this Bible, don’t start throwing your lazy darts at what you presume to be errors in the text of the K.J.B. Am I being hard on some? Sure, why not? Its all about the Word, and the Truth isn’t it? Its not about you, or me!

Concerning A. and B.

The Codex Sinaiticus, known as the Aleph, is a fourth century document. It had been thrown away, and then salvaged from a waste paper basket at St. Catherine Monastery in the early 1800eds. A man named Tischendorf saved it from the fire-place. This manuscript was reported to already have when found some 15,000 changes made by an unknown hand, or hands. Yet it was used for translation by Wescott and Hort in the late 20th century. From there it went to Nestles and Allen in the mid 1930es. From this came the Nestles and Allen text. And from these heavily altered text sprung most all modern Bible used today.

In the late 1900eds, [/font][FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Westcott and Hort made over 5000 changes to these newly acquired manuscripts. The changes included roughly 1900 omissions, 467 additions, 3185 other changes. 4366 words were added, making a total of almost 10,000 changes. Add to the 15,000 thousands changes already made when the documents were found by Tischendorf, it would appear the manuscripts should have been rejected, and trashed before they were brought into use.

Frankenstein Bibles, monstrous works tortured in translation are being used today. Some of the 200 in print, having been highly modified, and incorrect in many subjects. These are then sold to an unsuspecting community of Christians. This has created a wall of separation in Denominational unity, Biblical scholarship, and in Christian thinking, and understanding.

Now if you want to discuss this matter, lets discuss it from lets say; hmmm, pre Wescott and Hort about 1870, and lets talk about what Bibles Christian's were using back then, and for the past 300 years; and about the great theologians that came from this era. Lets not talk about this dumbed down, unsympothetic, hard nosed Christian atmosphere we live in today.

Now you can ask me, “Why do I prefer and recommend the K.J.B.?” My answer, “Read the above!”

Phil LaSpino from www.seekfirstwisdom.com

Last edited:

Michaelrh1325

Christian
Mar 28, 2012
Illinois
✟7,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree! I was recently arguing with a user that claimed the ESV and NRSV are difficult to read. No, they're not, not ever close. There may be an undiagnosed learning/reading disability going on there, or a lack of education, or, as you've said, laziness. If plain English is difficult to read for English speaking people... Wow.

Upvote 0

Unix

Hebr incl Sirach&epigraph, Hermeneut,Ptolemy,Samar
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
ECC,Torah:ModeCommenta,OTL,AY BC&RL,Seow a ICC Job
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
It's me. There is not a learning disability nor a reading disability, but a slight writing disability. I don't think it's because of lack of education (but I am going to take an English class), nor laziness, but that I want a Bible to be in English and not imitate the Gk and Hebrew word-order as the ESV, and to some degree NRSV, does. The use of the additional 'and' is also disturbing.

I think dynamic equivalent versions make a point. Linguistics was already developed in the '70s so we have versions such as GNT which helps the comprehension.

The Bible isn't written in such a complicated language for large parts such as the Gospels to take one example, so I don't understand why You have to make it harder than it has to be, do You strive for a more profound sound or believe that formal equivalence gives less room for bias? That's not so.
There may be an undiagnosed learning/reading disability going on there, or a lack of education, or, as you've said, laziness. If plain English is difficult to read for English speaking people... Wow.

Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Because a more dynamically equivalently researched version, such as the Good News Translation, is even less clumsy. So why say that the ESV is easy to read when it doesn't aim to be? The ESV translation team didn't consist to such a large part of linguists.
Why do I want to dumb something down that I already understand perfectly fine?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Going Merry

‏‏‏‏ ‏‏‏‏
Mar 14, 2012
✟16,924.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I don't wanna do burpees though.. they make me tired..
I don't wanna study though.. it's so boring..
I don't wanna clean.. I am much to busy doing nothing..

Ok ok ok. I will do it all I GUESS.

Um this thread isn't about laziness only is it?

I am much too lazy to read past the first few paragraphs

Upvote 0

Michaelrh1325

Christian
Mar 28, 2012
Illinois
✟7,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't think ESV is a difficult translation to read, but I also read on post-graduate levels. I know a lot of seminaries seem to like the NRSV. I happen to prefer the 2011 NIV.

I tested at a college reading and writing level in the 8th grade.

Upvote 0

LaSpino3

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
✟2,160.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
Unix, What you wrote in your first post, pretty much said it all. Your comment is most likely the same reason why so many others have migrated to what I call Frankenstein Bibles.

You wrote, "but that I want a Bible to be." Your comment does say quite a bit about the attitude of many Christian's today, dosen't it?

Phil LaSpino

Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I didn't say that. What I said was: "I want a Bible to be in English and not imitate the Gk and Hebrew word-order as the ESV, and to some degree NRSV, does. The use of the additional 'and' is also disturbing."
You wrote, "but that I want a Bible to be."

Upvote 0