The Unofficial, Official List of banned topics during Great Lent!

jckstraw72

Doin' that whole Orthodox thing
Dec 9, 2005
South Canaan, PA
Visit site
✟64,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
if we're talking about good things to come out of Canada, then Rush can't even hold a candle to Neil Young. they are super talented but too many of their songs are just downright irritating. yeah, i said it :comeon:

Upvote 0

RobNJ

So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish!
Aug 22, 2004
✟166,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
if we're talking about good things to come out of Canada, then Rush can't even hold a candle to Neil Young. they are super talented but too many of their songs are just downright irritating. yeah, i said it :comeon:

Preach it, ma brutha!! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You've gotta be kidding. Now I like Neil Young, but to call Rush "irritating" and mention a guy who sings with a nasal WHINE that is notoriously irritating to some, dude, you made me laugh out loud! (picturing Neil Young cackling "Old Man" and "Southern Man" as the poster criticizes Rush for "irritation!" LOL)

That's like mocking a Duran Duran fan for liking a bunch of chick-magnets and being a girlie man and then admit to listening to Pet Shop Boys and Elton John with a touch "It's Raining Men!" LOL! ^_^

Rush is so well-respected in the progressive rock world that it's off the charts. Their songwriting, their music in general, their level of talent, and the scope of the themes they've covered knocks Neil Young off the charts...and I like Neil Young!

Upvote 0

SeraphimSarov

Пресвятая Богородица, спаси нас...
Feb 16, 2007
Nowhere
✟36,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Rush is so well-respected in the progressive rock world that it's off the charts.

I'm not a huge fan of Geddy Lee's voice, but the music is undeniable. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The problem also with a lot of Rush-haters is that they hear Geddy's EARLY stuff with Rush (2112, Fly by Night, Carress of Steel, Hemispheres, Farewell to Kings) and because he had the higher-pitched voice in those days, they think ALL Rush songs sound like that. If these folks would listen to 80's albums like Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves, Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows, Hold Your Fire, Presto, Signals, etc, they'd hear a way gentler, warmer voice.

Personally, I like both sounds. I LOVE his voice in the 70's where he was belting out the old school Geddy!

Rush is the greatest thing to come out of Canada ever, along with You Can't Do That on Television! LOL

I'm not a huge fan of Geddy Lee's voice, but the music is undeniable. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Yeah, that's what I tell my hubby. Their musical arrangement and sound isn't bad, but Lee's voice ruins it for me, so I have to change the station. ^_^ My hubby just rolls his eyes. ^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Let me know your address, Dorothy. I'll hop on a plane and come out to Colorado. I'll sit on the couch with your hubby and roll eyes with him in unison! LOL:p

Yeah, that's what I tell my hubby. Their musical arrangement and sound isn't bad, but Lee's voice ruins it for me, so I have to change the station. ^_^ My hubby just rolls his eyes. ^_^

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Let me know your address, Dorothy. I'll hop on a plane and come out to Colorado. I'll sit on the couch with your hubby and roll eyes with him in unison! LOL:p

Upvote 0

jckstraw72

Dec 9, 2005
South Canaan, PA
Visit site
✟64,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
Rush may be respected in the prog-rock world, but Neil Young is respected in the world, no qualifiers needed! Let's be honest, "After the Gold Rush" and "Harvest" could beat up "2112" any day, with both hands tied behind their backs!

and if we're talking prog-rock then, come on, Genesis' "Selling England by the Pound" or "Fragile" by Yes, or "In the Court of the Crimson King" by King Crimson ... thou art foiled again!

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Don't give him your address Dot, it's a trick! Gurney isn't going to roll his eyes at you, he'll make you listen to Rush over and over again, until you're suffering from Stockholm Syndrome and tell him that Geddy really does have an incredible singing voice. ;) :p

I think I'd be dead before I was able to tell him. :p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,758.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Rush may be respected in the prog-rock world, but Neil Young is respected in the world, no qualifiers needed! Let's be honest, "After the Gold Rush" and "Harvest" could beat up "2112" any day, with both hands tied behind their backs!
Don't forget "Like a Hurricane". Something about that song man, just... haunting. It speaks to one's soul quicker than a Cherubic Hymn on Forgiveness Sunday! (okay, maybe not THAT fast but still really really fast).

Upvote 0

SeraphimSarov

Пресвятая Богородица, спаси нас...
Feb 16, 2007
Nowhere
✟36,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate

Beat up "2112?" I should think not!

Upvote 0

jckstraw72

Dec 9, 2005
South Canaan, PA
Visit site
✟64,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
Don't forget "Like a Hurricane". Something about that song man, just... haunting. It speaks to one's soul quicker than a Cherubic Hymn on Forgiveness Sunday! (okay, maybe not THAT fast but still really really fast).

just for clarity, i was speaking of the albums "After the Gold Rush" and "Harvest" because both of those albums are in their entirety pure gold!

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Absolutely. 2112 is too epic. Neil Young isn't in Rush's league. He's a good rock-folksy twanger, and I like a lot of his old tunes, but he's nowhere near Rush's level. He doesn't hold my interest like Rush either.

But what's funny is, everyone on here thinks RUSH is my life and my only or favorite band, not really true. I'm a YES fan before I'm a Rush fan, and I'm a raging Toto, Steely Dan, and Police fan. Then I loves my 80's metal guys Iron Maiden, Dio, gotta love Alice Cooper and the boys!

But all I'm known for in here is Rush! LOL...I think it's from all our "analysis" of Geddy's voice LOL!

Beat up "2112?" I should think not!

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,758.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
just for clarity, i was speaking of the albums "After the Gold Rush" and "Harvest" because both of those albums are in their entirety pure gold!
Ah. I have this tendency to think in songs and not so much albums. I blame my years in the pizza restaurant where we only knew the artist and the song.

Upvote 0