tigersgrowl1093

Looking Towards the East.
May 6, 2010
✟7,676.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"He that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness." - Mark 3:29

Before I came back to Christianity, I was first an agnostic/atheist and then dabbled a bit in Paganism. I was confused and looking for the Divine Being that I so desperately needed. I have found that in Christ, but before I hadn't.

I grew up in a charismatic, non-denominational church that slowly pushed me away from God. It preached Hell constantly, and the church was full of liars and hypocrites and gossips (not saying I am not any of those things at some times, but this was constant, even the pastor and his wife took part).

I've read in different commentaries that the unforgivable sin only speaks of those who continually reject Christ, like the Pharisees, who saw all the miracles he performed and they attributed it to Satan helping him cast out the demons. In my agnostic/atheist stage, I said some pretty rotten things about God, because I didn't know his true love. I couldn't reconcile the evilness in the OT with a good God.

I keep getting this nagging that what I did was unforgivable. I "knew" about Jesus, but I denied him. But then part of me thinks, "well, you didn't know the true Jesus, the Biblical Jesus."

''For if we go on sinning willfully after receiving the knowledge of truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins'' (Hebrews 10:26). Wasn't I doing just that, though?

Anyone else struggle with this? Thanks.

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,149,208.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I don't know anything in the NT that would suggest that there's an unforgiveable sin. The prodigal son makes it pretty clear that God is always eager to take us back.

There are 2 or 3 passages like this. My understanding is that they are warnings to people that there are things they can do that will so damage them that it will be nearly impossible to recover. But the problem is with them, not God. I don't think those passages say that if they do want to come back, God is going to say "sorry, even though you've repented, I won't forgive you, because you're committed the unforgiveable sin."

If this is right, then by definition someone who repents didn't really do the eternal sin. Recall the scene with the Rich Young Ruler. Jesus ends by saying that it's nearly impossible for a rich man to be saved. His disciples are upset. Jesus then says "what is impossible for man is possible for God." I'd say the same thing here. It's possible to get yourself into a situation you can't get out of. But God still can get you out of it.

Upvote 0

Fenny the Fox

Apr 21, 2009
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟23,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
''For if we go on sinning willfully after receiving the knowledge of truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins'' (Hebrews 10:26). Wasn't I doing just that, though?

Do you accept Him as lord and Christ as savior and have you repented what have done?

If yes: then you are no longer sinning willfully are you? You have accepted Him and are saved by Grace, and that is what He said will save you [not anything you can do yourself, only His sacrifice and Grace].

The issue of blaspheming God, as you asked, is that is an issue of those that continue to do so - they do not accept Him even when they know He is the Way and Truth. This is not what you appear to do, is it?

[Yes, this is my interpretation, but I feel strongly in this point.]

Like the story of the Prodigal Son, you strayed but have returned. "I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent" ~ Luke 15:7.

Upvote 0

apmercer

Awe777
Apr 25, 2012
✟15,269.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
:clap:MY OPINION:
The unforgivable sin, blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, is simply "Rejecting Christ".

Some people there were saying that Beelzebub, not God, was performing all these miracles through Jesus.

The name Beelzebub gets its name from Baal.

In the Old Testament when Moses was getting the ten commandments a golden calf was formed, which was made in the image of Baal (Baal means Bull).

Gold means "Divinity". So they were saying the Baal is divine or is god.

They were saying that Baal (Beelzebub) got them, the Hebrews/Israelities, out of Egypt by performing all these miracles, such as killing Egyptian first born sons, turning water into blood, splitting open the Red Sea and closing it to kill the Eqyptian army.

The people that were worshipping the golden calf were given an option to repent. About 3000 did not repent, so they were killed. Aaron, Moses' brother who arranged the golden calf to beformed, repented who is now in heaven.

In the New Testament, at Pentecost, after the Holy Spirit came, about 3000 people were saved that day.

The inforgivable sin is simply being in the state of rejecting Christ. If you are rejecting Christ, He will forgive you of you turn to Him before you die.

Upvote 0

tigersgrowl1093

Looking Towards the East.
May 6, 2010
✟7,676.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the replies, everyone!

In re: to beezlebub, my Bible (ESV) spells it Beelzebul in Matthew. I was having a hard time NOT saying beezlebub when reading it because I thought that was the name. When I searched it on Google though, it came up Beelzebub, so I don't know.

Upvote 0

apmercer

Awe777
Apr 25, 2012
✟15,269.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
In re: to beezlebub, my Bible (ESV) spells it Beelzebul in Matthew. I was having a hard time NOT saying beezlebub when reading it because I thought that was the name. When I searched it on Google though, it came up Beelzebub, so I don't know.[/quote]

Different bible translations translate it differently; Beelzebub or Beelzebul.
Matt 10:25 NKJV has Beelzebub.

Upvote 0