Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My husband is from South Carolina and I know that the social values voters in this state particularly count forgiveness from God and repentence and turning away from sin as something good not bad. Speaker Gingrich has admitted sins in his past and has "turned over a new leaf"--especially with his conversion. He may not talk against an obviously vindictive woman who *suddenly* comes up with this story, but his two daughters have told a different story from the one of second--wife and I believe that they have even gone so far as to ask for false statements to be removed.

This article shows that the South Carolina voters gave Speaker Gingrich a standing ovation after the debate moderator opened the debate with this old marital issue:

Gingrich Slams CNN for Marriage Question, Gets Ovation

Upvote 0

Luther073082

κύριε ἐλέησον χριστὲ ἐλέησον
Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, it's not Newt's fault he was an adulterer, several times over, through more than one marriage. He's changed now! You can trust him this time.

Yeah! Besides he only did it because he loved his country so much.

That statement right there tells me all I need to know about Newt's repetence.

Upvote 0

Defensor Fidei

Jan 8, 2005
New York
✟4,207.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Green
My husband is from South Carolina and I know that the social values voters in this state particularly count forgiveness from God and repentence and turning away from sin as something good not bad. Speaker Gingrich has admitted sins in his past and has "turned over a new leaf"--especially with his conversion. He may not talk against an obviously vindictive woman who *suddenly* comes up with this story, but his two daughters have told a different story from the one of second--wife and I believe that they have even gone so far as to ask for false statements to be removed.

This article shows that the South Carolina voters gave Speaker Gingrich a standing ovation after the debate moderator opened the debate with this old marital issue:

Gingrich Slams CNN for Marriage Question, Gets Ovation

Okay, so you support "open marriages" where a spouse is allowed to just go sleep around, and you don't care much about 'family values' or the 'sanctity of marriage'. Good that we got that on the record. That explains your support for an egotistical serial adulterer who is obsessed with sex and power like Newt Gingrich.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yeah! Besides he only did it because he loved his country so much.

That statement right there tells me all I need to know about Newt's repetence.

"Baby, it's not you..I can't help myself baby...I still love you, it's just that I love my country too much not to try to sleep with all of the women who happen to live in it..."

That's really clever, actually. They say he's quick-witted, you do have to give him that.

Upvote 0

Luther073082

κύριε ἐλέησον χριστὲ ἐλέησον
Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Baby, it's not you..I can't help myself baby...I still love you, it's just that I love my country too much not to try to sleep with all of the women who happen to live in it..."

That's really clever, actually. They say he's quick-witted, you do have to give him that.

I'm conservative for the most part but that statement is just a bunch of pandering. What bothers me is such obvious pandering is actually working on some people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Antigone

The Wrath of Whatever
Apr 20, 2006
De Boendoks
✟33,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I pay money to see Ron Paul do that instead.

I'd pay money to see Steven Colbert do that. But only ironically.

and this is typical... Clinton can't be a man-harlot but Newt can...

Not to mention the fact that for all his genital excursions, the man's still married. And not to some airhead bimbo.

Upvote 0

S.ilvio

Jul 16, 2011
Dublin
✟341,909.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Great debate last night on CNN.

Ron Paul looked tired and was out of his league with the two heavyweights trading blow for blow in the centre of the stage.

3 Wives went hardcore of Richboy and I think he lasnded some very damaging blows.

Ricky Martin did his best to join the sluggers but just didn't pack enough of a punch.

I'd love to see Richboy beaten by 3 Wives...:)

Upvote 0

Antigone

The Wrath of Whatever
Apr 20, 2006
De Boendoks
✟33,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Ricky Martin did his best to join the sluggers but just didn't pack enough of a punch.

I think they should add random actors and singers to these debates. That'd be swell. Preferably someone like Stephen Fry, who can talk anyone under the table, but anyone will do really.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,732.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I find it amusing that Calista Gingrich, who was Gingrich's mistress from 1993 until she married him in 2000 or 2001, inspired him to become Catholic. What kind of Catholic was she?

That being said, I think I am different from a lot of you OBOB'ers. Most of you put the sexual sins up at the top of the list in determining character (and that's what conservative clergy seem to do, too.)

But I quantify.

As far as I can see, Romney, who has a good marriage (and who also had a wife with MS that he didn't dump) hurt millions of people through his policies at Bain Capital. My hubby lost jobs in companies taken over by investment bankers...so did a lot of our friends...and family members.

What's more, he thought GM shouldn't have been bailed out--and that would have lost 2 million jobs (while his fat cat banker friends would be salivating over the pieces of GM lying around.)

Gingrich's sexual antics don't hurt me one bit. They never hurt my friends or family members one bit.

Not like investment banking firms have.

Of course, if I were voting in the South Carolina primary, I would be voting for Herman Cain (Stephen Colbert.) He's Catholic. He's the youngest of 11 children. And he makes me laugh.

Upvote 0

Defensor Fidei

Jan 8, 2005
New York
✟4,207.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Green
I find it amusing that Calista Gingrich, who was Gingrich's mistress from 1993 until she married him in 2000 or 2001, inspired him to become Catholic. What kind of Catholic was she?

The media keeps reporting Calista as being a "devout Catholic" who sings in the choir and convinced Newt to convert. Yet she was "okay" with being the mistress in a married man's "open marriage", having sex with him in his wife's bed, and regularly listening in on Newt's phone calls to Marianne.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟440,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Figured i would add in Newt's own words on his conversion - rather than what someone reports to be his reasoning.

Gingrich's Catholic Journey Began With Third Wife : NPR

Gingrich began studying the history of the Catholic Church and its influence on Western civilization, especially the church's role in the fall of communism. In 2010, Newt and Callista Gingrich produced a documentary about Pope John Paul II's historic trip to Poland. But for Gingrich, the turning point was Pope Benedict XVI's visit to the U.S. in 2008.

"The joyful and radiating presence of the Holy Father was a moment of confirmation of the many things I had been thinking and experiencing over the last several years," Gingrich said at a Catholic prayer breakfast this year.

Raymond Arroyo, news director of EWTN, who covered Gingrich in the 1980s, sees "a marked change in Gingrich."
"He does seem more settled, more comfortable in his own skin, not as pugnacious, if you will. Surely part of it is a political calculation, but I think part of it might be spiritual as well."

Newt Gingrich Says He Prays Before Every Major Decision - ABC News

“Callista is a cradle Catholic and grew up in the Catholic church, I’m a convert. But all I can tell you is I find taking communion an enormously rewarding and deepening experience,” Gingrich said.

“I’ve been very clear publicly I’m not a perfect human being and I’ve made mistakes in my life and I’ve had to apologize to God and to seek reconciliation,” Gingrich told

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Okay, so you support "open marriages" where a spouse is allowed to just go sleep around, and you don't care much about 'family values' or the 'sanctity of marriage'. Good that we got that on the record. That explains your support for an egotistical serial adulterer who is obsessed with sex and power like Newt Gingrich.

Nope. And if you had bothered to do your research you would have found that at the Debate, Speaker Gingrich had called the media on their falsehoods by the second wife of years ago and received a standing ovation from the voters of South Carolina. (It seems that seeking forgiveness from God and repentence means a bit more to them than holding a grudge and condemning people does.)

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Liberal, lol!

That being said, I think I am different from a lot of you OBOB'ers. Most of you put the sexual sins up at the top of the list in determining character (and that's what conservative clergy seem to do, too.)

But I quantify.

As far as I can see, Romney, who has a good marriage (and who also had a wife with MS that he didn't dump) hurt millions of people through his policies at Bain Capital. My hubby lost jobs in companies taken over by investment bankers...so did a lot of our friends...and family members.

What's more, he thought GM shouldn't have been bailed out--and that would have lost 2 million jobs (while his fat cat banker friends would be salivating over the pieces of GM lying around.)

Gingrich's sexual antics don't hurt me one bit. They never hurt my friends or family members one bit.

Not like investment banking firms have.

Of course, if I were voting in the South Carolina primary, I would be voting for Herman Cain (Stephen Colbert.) He's Catholic. He's the youngest of 11 children. And he makes me laugh.

Not a lot I can argue against here. you make some points.

Upvote 0