Visit site
✟438,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I add: in our country - we loathe big government because it means more taxes and less income in the hands of the people who create jobs.
Government is to secure us, not lead us by the nose. Not burden us and create infrastructures that usurp freedoms to chose what we do with our money - which includes increased small businesses....more jobs.

Increased small entrepreneurs means overall increase in jobs.
This is why we have less poverty and more 'wealth' so to speak. Because people are more willing to increase their own wages and lot in life via taking chances and hiring others.

When you have someone with high taxes, jobs decrease. It's simple.

Big government means more power from an entity and not to the people. Usually this leads to the plethora of sins - as is happening. AS it happened from the prediction of Samuel the prophet to Israel who wanted to secularize their nation.
God granted them King Solomon who made life miserable for the North - and the Kingdom split.
High taxes - so said Samuel - is a punishment from God - it is not a good thing.

It took what - 100 years - or some to find that out.

Upvote 0

Antigone

The Wrath of Whatever
Apr 20, 2006
De Boendoks
✟33,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Antigone - you do not understand American politics. You do not understand how we run the country. You really do not, nor the others in here voicing their opinions - from Palestine, Ireland et al.

Why not? Because I disagree with you? You don't think we get news about America? It's my understanding that the average European knows more about America than vice versa.

America is a successful country because we hate high taxes. We believe in liberation and freedom and a system [that helps procure wealth that automatically works for the poor] by low taxes and increased jobs.

Well, that's debatable. Primarily because third world countries often don't have high taxes. The point is moot anyway because they often lack the ability to collect them, assuming the populace can pay them in the first place.

In addition to that, you are voicing one major macro-economic theory, but it's not the only one. Keynesian economics have proven their worth.

And if we the Americans are purchasing - then we help the entire world too through trade. etc

That would be true if not for the fact that the people doing most of the spending either aren't spending or aren't spending locally, which means that most of the money ends up going overseas. American spending does wonders for the Chinese economy, I'll give you that.

There are a few liberals - older folks who think higher taxes means more money in the system - which if you recall we discussed this last time and as was said - you do that - and the economy goes kerplunck and jobs go away.

Not automatically. Higher taxes, for one, would mean that the government gets to spend more on, say, infrastructure (having seen the condition of your roads, I wouldn't automatically shoot this suggestion down); an added advantage of course being that unlike private citizens and corporations, the government often chooses to spend its money nationally rather than internationally.

I repeat, it doesn't always work like that, but to prove your point I'd like to see a bit more economical analising rather than just 'the economy goes kerplunk', which has pizzaz, but little substance.

NO matter how ppl want to hate the rich [so called] - it is the business man who pays the working man. So if you want your job, play nice with the boss who hires... thats the same for the government.

If I'm not mistaken the government is the country's biggest employer, so that's not true.

And as I said before, many of your business tycoons spend their money abroad, because it's cheaper.

Why ppl are so envious or outraged anyone has obtained wealth is beyond me. I am anything but wealthy, but i applaud anyone who had the ingenuity.

It depends. If ingenuity is a synonym for embezzlement and/or fraude (think Enron) then I think I understand perfectly well why people are outraged. Moreover, I think you do too.

Not that all wealthy folk do this, but many of them have tried.

Obama is trying to change our whole system - and he is frankly no good. Like i said - you would have to understand.

That's the point; I think I do. I read quite a bit of news.

Besides which, you are focusing on taxes, which is typically a right-wing issue; you never agreed with Obama in the first place. What I'm talking about is all those people who did vote for him, expected him to enforce world peace and beat the Chinese into submission (or whatever they thought), which he was never going to do. People need a good dose of realism when it comes to elections, if you ask me.

Fantine, i am glad Newt isnt afraid of war. The man unafraid is the man who keeps us safe.

I'm afraid of Newt not being afraid of war, but I'm thinking the bellicose war rhetorics are just played to appeal to his overenthusiastic fan base. I don't think he's actually stupid enough to go to war with Iran.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,086,448.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Successful countries have large, thriving middle-classes, who create markets for products and services, who create a demand that allows businesses to grow and thrive.

That is why investment bankers like Mitt Romney, who came up with the bright idea that they could create tons and tons of money by taking viable businesses, bleeding them dry, laying off employees, and selling them off hurt America.

Making money without creating anything of value isn't the American way.

CEO salaries, which used to be 30 times the average worker's, and are now hundreds of times the average worker's, aren't the American way.

Allowing 40% of the wealth to sit in the hands of the top 1% of the country while the middle-class suffers 9% unemployment, unaffordable health care, etc. isn't the American way.

Going more and more into debt every year isn't the American way.

And here's the truth, WA--the people with 40% of the wealth are only paying 20 something percent of the taxes....

We can't keep our middle class and pay our bills without increasing revenue--and there's only one group who has the disposable income to help us out.

Upvote 0

Needing_Grace

Chief of Sinners
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
✟11,799.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Actually, He, Santoram, Perry, Bachmann, Cain have *all* signed the Susan B. Anthony pro-life pledge.

Who Will Lead for Life in 2012? | SBA-List

I don't trust anyone who signs extraconstitutional "pledges" that force "mental reservation and purpose of evasion" onto our elected officials. These stupid extraconstitutional "pledges" have crippled our country's legislature ability govern because they tie the hands of the members and essentially require them to violate their Constitutional oaths of office.

I want my legislature to simply let his or her yes be yes and his or her no be no and to fulfill the terms of the only pledge he's or she's required to uphold during his or her term in office, their Constitutional Oath of Office.

Upvote 0

sylverpiano

unworthy
Oct 14, 2010
✟53,702.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If Mr Gingrich is the Republican Nominee, I will be leaving my presidential ballot blank. So far, he has done a fine job of convincing me that he is a lying, cheating, hypocritical serial adulterer. His signature on a Susan B Anthony pro life pledge guarantees us nothing, as he does not even have the integrity necessary to honor his marriage vows.

The conservative wing may be willing to forget that he has cheated on at least two of his wives, serving his first wife with divorce papers while she was recovering from Cancer surgery.

He does not have the moral integrity, nor the honesty I require in a politician.

Your mileage may, of course, vary.

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I admit that I really, really like the unequivical pro-life stance of Santoram. And I liked Perry (who has now dropped out) not only for his ability to actually make an environment that is conducive to the private sector creating jobs, his strong pro-life "walk-the-walk and not just talk-the-talk" stance, and the fact of his proven record of religious tolerance and freedom. However, I would actually pay money to see Gingrich "mop the floor" with teleprompter addicted Obama.

Think that in the history of the debates there have only been five standing ovations. And I think that three of them belong to Speaker Gingrich (just in the matter of a couple of weeks) says a lot.

None of us is perfect. All of us needs repentence and forgiveness from time to time. (And sin is *really* forgiven in the Sacrament of Confession where we meet God and become "new persons in Christ".) And IMO, a conversion means a lot and *must* be considered. Gingrich is now a Catholic. It wouldn't be fair or accurate to constantly go back to what he did 12 years ago even if there wasn't doubt--he's not the same man--he really is a new man. With him, I can be sure that the Catholic Bishops are not going to be having to say that we again will have "Gethsemane Moments" like they have with Obama's election.

Upvote 0

Defensor Fidei

Jan 8, 2005
New York
✟4,207.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Green
Fantine, i am glad Newt isnt afraid of war. The man unafraid is the man who keeps us safe.
Newt sure was afraid of war when it was his turn to serve in the Vietnam War- another war which he vehemently supported as long as it was other people losing their lives.

In fact his 'chickenhawk' moment was one of the few times where Newt actually got owned in a debate, and by Ron Paul, no less.

Upvote 0

Defensor Fidei

Jan 8, 2005
New York
✟4,207.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Green
I admit that I really, really like the unequivical pro-life stance of Santoram. And I liked Perry (who has now dropped out) not only for his ability to actually make an environment that is conducive to the private sector creating jobs, his strong pro-life "walk-the-walk and not just talk-the-talk" stance, and the fact of his proven record of religious tolerance and freedom. However, I would actually pay money to see Gingrich "mop the floor" with teleprompter addicted Obama.
So were you one of the people cheering wildly in the audience when Perry bragged about how many people he has killed on death row?

Think that in the history of the debates there have only been five standing ovations. And I think that three of them belong to Speaker Gingrich (just in the matter of a couple of weeks) says a lot.
And what were those standing ovations for? Racism-tinged remarks about Obama being the "food-stamp president" and "putting Mr. Juan Williams in his place"?

Boorishly denouncing the idea that he should even address his clear lack of moral character in asking his wife to share him in an "open marriage" with a mistress? (From the same guy who believed Clinton's sexual improprieties going on at the same time were a matter of national importance, no less).

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Newt sure was afraid of war when it was his turn to serve in the Vietnam War- another war which he vehemently supported as long as it was other people losing their lives.

That came up in the debate back when Perry was still a candidate. While Ron Paul said that he was the *only* one who had military service (obviously he didn't considered Perry's service) but he tried to smear Newt as well.

Turned out that Newt wasn't eligible. Something Ron Paul failed to mention at the outset, but what do you expect from a person who told the nation that we brought on the attack on the World Trade Center (where 3000 innocent people died) ourselves and thinks that if we are only weaker and "lick the boots of our enemies, they won't kick us so hard".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
And what were those standing ovations for? Racism-tinged remarks about Obama being the "food-stamp president" and "putting Mr. Juan Williams in his place"?

Nice try. But it's simply a matter of fact--instead of jobs (what the people want and need) Obama has officiated in adding the most food stamps than any other president.

And please stop it with the "race baiting". All Newt said was the obvious, people want and need jobs. He said that his daughter worked that young and enjoyed not only learning a work ethic but also having some money in her pocket to buy the things she wanted. Newt told about one student who started helping to fry donuts and now at 16 owns his own business of supplying donuts to the stores. (Humorously, he related that the boy's father is "grateful that now he can deliver his donuts to the stores by himself.) In fact, a lot of folks called in saying that they started in these menial jobs at maybe age 11 or 12 and then worked up. It gives a person a feeling of pride and a sense of being useful. And I can imagine that South Carolina would definitely find the jobs issue a worthy idea. Unemployment is 9.9% there and far higher for the black teens.

Oh it wasn't Clinton's improrities that were the problem. It was the fact that he lied under oath. First he used his office and power over a lowly intern in order to get sex, then he lied to the nation on camera ("I *never* had sex with that....woman....Miss Lewisky"), then he lied under oath, then when caught, he tried to say that it all depended upon one's definition of "is" is (he tried to claim that what he did to Monica Lewinsky wasn't what he would call "sex"), He disgraced the office of the presidency and made it so no country could believe him--trust was gone.) BTW, Clinton *was* impeached. Just wasn't tossed out. And everyone feels sorry for Hillary--even now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fran75

May 3, 2011
Mason Dixon line
✟8,809.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
So you are probably from my home town - democrat city Pittsburgh.
I am so glad my family - half of which came to the other side - republican - like myself... are either voting against Obama or not going to vote at all.

Democrats left and right are disgusted with Obama. None of them defend him and my friend who is [now what was the PC term?] dark skinned and democrat is absolutely not voting for Obama now.

My son said when he visits her son [they are buds] that his mum trashes Obama... she is livid about his policies. SO few ppl like him... now. IF he got back in office - i would demand a real count. Because it would mean someone fixed the ballots.

I am from south of the burg. I was actually a registered Independent until I got my new driver's lisence picture card earlier this year, and I am as white as possible with out being albino. I am proud to have Obama as my president and I definately will be voting for him again.

Upvote 0

Defensor Fidei

Jan 8, 2005
New York
✟4,207.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Green
That came up in the debate back when Perry was still a candidate. While Ron Paul said that he was the *only* one who had military service (obviously he didn't considered Perry's service) but he tried to smear Newt as well.
Bringing up the facts about Chickenhawk Newt constitutes "smear" now, I see.

Ron Paul served in the military. Newt Gingrich didn't. In addition to being a degenerate adulterous slime, Newt is also a chickenhawk who cheerleads for unnecessary war as long as it is other people doing the fighting and killing.

If Newt wanted to serve in a war he strongly supported, he could have easily enlisted. He later said that he didn't go because he "didn't think one man could make a difference". One man can certainly be a hero; just not a man of such poor character as Newt Gingrich. Pathetic.

Turned out that Newt wasn't eligible.
Newt's excuse that he couldn't go because he had a wife and child was lame, but it did provide a good setup for Paul to own him with that one-line zinger at the end there.

Something Ron Paul failed to mention at the outset, but what do you expect from a person who told the nation that we brought on the attack on the World Trade Center (where 3000 innocent people died) ourselves and thinks that if we are only weaker and "lick the boots of our enemies, they won't kick us so hard".
Paul never said that, but you are quite delusional if you are one of those who still think terrorists attacked on 9/11 "because they hate our freedom".

Upvote 0

Defensor Fidei

Jan 8, 2005
New York
✟4,207.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Green
Nice try. But it's simply a matter of fact--instead of jobs (what the people want and need) Obama has officiated in adding the most food stamps than any other president.

And please stop it with the "race baiting". All Newt said was the obvious, people want and need jobs. He said that his daughter worked that young and enjoyed not only learning a work ethic but also having some money in her pocket to buy the things she wanted. Newt told about one student who started helping to fry donuts and now at 16 owns his own business of supplying donuts to the stores. (Humorously, he related that the boy's father is "grateful that now he can deliver his donuts to the stores by himself.) In fact, a lot of folks called in saying that they started in these menial jobs at maybe age 11 or 12 and then worked up. It gives a person a feeling of pride and a sense of being useful. And I can imagine that South Carolina would definitely find the jobs issue a worthy idea. Unemployment is 9.9% there and far higher for the black teens.

Newt Gingrich used racism to gain the upper hand in South Carolina. A Georgia good ol' boy, he knows how to play the dog whistles right to stir up his audience. It is disgusting. So much so that a large number of Catholic leaders in America have written an open letter calling on Newt Gingrich (and Rick Santorum) to stop the racially-tinged rhetoric.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,086,448.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I had kind of hoped Gingrich won because people received a lesson on how there are some businesses in America (specifically investment banking) that don't deal in "job creation" and how having had a leadership position in that type of firm probably means a candidate is less likely (rather than more likely) to have a viable plan to create jobs.

I kind of hoped Gingrich won because people learned that there can be serious abuses in the free market, and that, so long as government is vigilant in preventing these abuses, there is nothing wrong with the free market.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟438,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I am from south of the burg. I was actually a registered Independent until I got my new driver's lisence picture card earlier this year, and I am as white as possible with out being albino. I am proud to have Obama as my president and I definately will be voting for him again.
Why does color matter?
I mentioned my friend because for the past 4 years it is all i heard about - was color.
Issues mean more.
If Cain wasnt set up - which he was liklely set up - i would have voted for him and why are ppl allowed to be white but we cannot call anyone black?

SO many confusing things now - like a deliberate use of the race card as tho that is all that matters in this. [past discussions]

And hi. Good to meet a fellow Burgher.
Brookline, Beechview, Dormont? I assume South Hills...where i grew up. We may even know one another. :D

I admit, former Democrat here. ;) Same with half my family.

Upvote 0

stone

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 7, 2005
Everywhere
✟73,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The Little-Known, Inside Story About How Newt Became the Man He Is | News & Politics | AlterNet
storyimages_1324326906_screenshot20111219at3.34.17pm.png_640x443_310x220
newt-gingrich1.jpg

This is the story of a man whose lust for sex, money, and power truly knows no bounds.

No Catholic should be deluded into thinking he is changed because his most recent mistress-turned-wife required him to convert; he is not a man who should be put up on a pedestal as President of the United States, a disgraceful example for people to model themselves after.

I can't wait to see people like you grovel after he wins.

Upvote 0

Defensor Fidei

Jan 8, 2005
New York
✟4,207.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Green
I can't wait to see people like you grovel after he wins.
You'll have to be on some sort of hallucinogenic drug to ever see Newt Gingrich become president of the United States. Newt Gingrich is completely unelectable. He has the highest unfavorability ratings of any candidate in the race, and for good reason. If the Republican Party is foolish enough to nominate Newt Gingrich, it would hand the election to Barack Obama on a silver platter.

And why would "people like me" "grovel"?

Upvote 0