The Real meaning of the Wedding at Cana

ghendricks63

Feb 25, 2011
✟1,541.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Shekar (strong drink) does not necessarily mean fermented. For instance, whole milk is a stronger drink than 2% milk. Coffee is stronger than tea. Neither of these are alcoholic in content, but are strong drinks.

Actually, my statements line up perfectly with Scripture. Jesus did come to seek and save that which was lost.

When one drinks alcohol, one is poisoning his or her system with toxins. Alcohol is called an intoxicant for a reason.... because it is a toxin. It's very root word is the word 'toxic'.

Clearly your mind is made up. Just as clearly you have never truly studied (objectively) the countless scholars who believe your position is in error.

That is your right...to come to your own conclusion. It obviously works for you. It is your claim to absolute authority of scripture though as a backing for your interpretation where you wander into the realm of biblical ignorance.

Upvote 0
S

Studious One

Clearly your mind is made up. Just as clearly you have never truly studied (objectively) the countless scholars who believe your position is in error.

That is your right...to come to your own conclusion. It obviously works for you. It is your claim to absolute authority of scripture though as a backing for your interpretation where you wander into the realm of biblical ignorance.
My mind is indeed made up, and you are wrong. I have looked at both sides of the debate objectively. Countless scholars may believe me to be in error, but there are also countless scholars who also teach and preach the same truth I preach.

Your claim that it is my interpretation could not be farther from the truth. It is not my interpretation, it is the Word of God and it is fact.

Upvote 0

ghendricks63

Feb 25, 2011
✟1,541.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My mind is indeed made up, and you are wrong. I have looked at both sides of the debate objectively. Countless scholars may believe me to be in error, but there are also countless scholars who also teach and preach the same truth I preach.

Your claim that it is my interpretation could not be farther from the truth. It is not my interpretation, it is the Word of God and it is fact.

You may want to consider changing your handle. Just saying...LOL

:p

Upvote 0

ghendricks63

Feb 25, 2011
✟1,541.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Since I have been studying the Word of God for more than 30 years, my handle is appropriate.

Since I have been studying and teaching the scriptures for 30+ years as well I can tell you without any reservation whatsoever that you are in error. In fact...this issue has been of special interest to me. But there is little point in discussing it with someone of such a closed mind as yourself. You are welcome to cling to your legalism. I won't try to change you. I feel sorry for the bondage you believe scripture places you under. But I do sincerely hope you don't go around judging others based on your FALSE INTERPRETATION OF SCRIPTURE.

Upvote 0
S

Studious One

Since I have been studying and teaching the scriptures for 30+ years as well I can tell you without any reservation whatsoever that you are in error. In fact...this issue has been of special interest to me. But there is little point in discussing it with someone of such a closed mind as yourself. You are welcome to cling to your legalism. I won't try to change you. I feel sorry for the bondage you believe scripture places you under. But I do sincerely hope you don't go around judging others based on your FALSE INTERPRETATION OF SCRIPTURE.
I am glad my mind is closed up. I seem to recall that it was the serpent in the garden that wanted Eve to open her mind by eating of the forbidden fruit.

As to my interpretation being false, I have already addressed that. It is not that I have a false interpretation, it is that you have a false understanding.

Upvote 0

ghendricks63

Feb 25, 2011
✟1,541.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am glad my mind is closed up. I seem to recall that it was the serpent in the garden that wanted Eve to open her mind by eating of the forbidden fruit.

As to my interpretation being false, I have already addressed that. It is not that I have a false interpretation, it is that you have a false understanding.

Hey...what ever floats your boat man. Your life. LOL :wave:

Upvote 0
S

Studious One

In Luke 7:33-35, Jesus said:

For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine; and ye say, He hath a devil.
The Son of man is come eating and drinking; and ye say, Behold a gluttonous man, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners!
But wisdom is justified of all her children.

The beginning of the passage addresses John the Baptist's abstinence. John did not drink wine because he was a Nazarite. Nazarites were forbidden to partake of anything that came from the vine. The angel said concerning John:

[FONT=&quot]Luke 1:15[/FONT] For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb.

This was a declaration that John would live the life of a Nazarite, and therefore was to abstain from everything that came from the vine; grapes, fermented or unfermented wine. This corresponds with God's command given to Moses concerning the Nazarite:

[FONT=&quot]Numbers 6:1[/FONT] And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
[FONT=&quot]Numbers 6:2[/FONT] Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When either man or woman shall separate [FONT=&quot]themselves[/FONT] to vow a vow of a Nazarite, to separate [FONT=&quot]themselves[/FONT] unto the LORD:
[FONT=&quot]Numbers 6:3[/FONT] He shall separate [FONT=&quot]himself[/FONT] from wine and strong drink, and shall drink no vinegar of wine, or vinegar of strong drink, neither shall he drink any liquor of grapes, nor eat moist grapes, or dried.
[FONT=&quot]Numbers 6:4[/FONT] All the days of his separation shall he eat nothing that is made of the vine tree, from the kernels even to the husk.

Though Jesus was a Nazarene because He was from Nazareth, He was not a Nazarite. He had not taken the Nazarite vow. This is why He was free to eat and drink the fruit of the vine, hence His statement that He came eating and drinking. When Jesus said He came eating and drinking, He was not saying He drank alcohol, contrary to the modern mindset of today.

The Greek language refutes the suggestion that He was admitting to drinking alcohol because a different world is always used to distinguish a drinker of fermented beverage from a drinker of a pure unfermented beverage such as water or milk. The Greek word Jesus used to describe His drinking is the world ‘pino’… the ordinary word for drink. This is different that the word His enemies use in their false accusations of allegedly drinking alcoholic beverage.

Jesus’ enemies accused Him of being a ‘winebibber’ (a wine drinker). The Greek word used is ‘oinopotes’; from oinos meaning wine, and potes meaning a drinker. When the word oinos is used in Scripture it is in reference to both fermented and unfermented wine; but when it is compounded with potes to produce oinopotes, a wine drinker, it always means a drinker of alcoholic wine.

In Luke’s passage, Jesus refutes the false accusation of Him being a glutton and a wine drinker by saying, “But wisdom is justified of all her children.”

The Greek word translated ‘justified’ is ‘dikaioo’, which primarily means ‘to be deemed to be right.’ Jesus was saying that the accusations that were made by His enemies were false and that He would be vindicated, or shown to be right, by the lives of His Apostles.

When we read the second chapter of Acts, we find that Christ was indeed shown to be right by His Apostles. There, we read that just as Jesus was falsely accused of drinking a fermented beverage, His Apostles also were accused falsely of being drunk on new wine (sweet grape juice). The accusation toward the Apostles was done in mockery because the scoffers knew the Apostles did not drink fermented wine. They knew the new wine did not have the power to intoxicate.

Jesus, the personification of Wisdom, did not drink fermented wine. And He clearly reveals it to His accusers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ronald

Exhortations
Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2004
southern
✟111,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Nice try, but your theory doesn't fly. Scripture reveals they drank the fruit of vine.. not alcohol.

Yeah and by their fruit you will know them. I'm done with this fruitless conversation and now I will fly far, far away from the Studious One.:wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nazaroo

Joseph is still alive! (Gen 45.26)
Dec 5, 2005
clinging to Jesus sandalstrap
✟10,730.00
Faith
Christian
John 2:11 This beginning of miracles did Jesus in Cana of Galilee, and manifested forth his glory; and his disciples believed on him.

I honestly don't see how anyone can believe making alcohol is manifesting Jesus' glory when alcohol is responsible for so many broken homes, so many abused children and spouses, so many deaths on the highway.

I totally agree with you on this point.

The modern alcoholic beverages, high-pressure marketed to a gullible public and vulnerable youth,
is the biggest lie since the Marlboro Man ads.

"[SIZE=+1] Wayne McLaren, who portrayed the rugged "Marlboro Man" in cigarette ads but became an anti-smoking crusader after developing lung cancer, has died. He was 51.[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]McLaren, who smoked for about 25 years and was diagnosed with the disease about two years ago, died Wednesday at Hoag Hospital in Newport Beach.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]"He fought a hard battle," his mother, Louise McLaren, said Wednesday. "Some of his last words were: 'Take care of the children. Tobacco will kill you, and I'm living proof of it.'"[/SIZE]

Jesus is as far away from the interests of booze-makers
as He is from cocaine peddlers.

peace
Nazaroo

Upvote 0

Nazaroo

Joseph is still alive! (Gen 45.26)
Dec 5, 2005
clinging to Jesus sandalstrap
✟10,730.00
Faith
Christian
n Luke 7:33-35, Jesus said:

For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine; and ye say, He hath a devil.
The Son of man is come eating and drinking; and ye say, Behold a gluttonous man, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners!
But wisdom is justified of all her children.

The beginning of the passage addresses John the Baptist's abstinence. John did not drink wine because he was a Nazarite. Nazarites were forbidden to partake of anything that came from the vine. The angel said concerning John:

[FONT=&quot]Luke 1:15
For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb.

This was a declaration that John would live the life of a Nazarite, and therefore was to abstain from everything that came from the vine; grapes, fermented or unfermented wine. This corresponds with God's command given to Moses concerning the Nazarite:

[FONT=&quot]Numbers 6:1[/FONT] And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
[FONT=&quot]Numbers 6:2[/FONT] Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When either man or woman shall separate [FONT=&quot]themselves[/FONT] to vow a vow of a Nazarite, to separate [FONT=&quot]themselves[/FONT] unto the LORD:
[FONT=&quot]Numbers 6:3[/FONT] He shall separate [FONT=&quot]himself[/FONT] from wine and strong drink, and shall drink no vinegar of wine, or vinegar of strong drink, neither shall he drink any liquor of grapes, nor eat moist grapes, or dried.
[FONT=&quot]Numbers 6:4[/FONT] All the days of his separation shall he eat nothing that is made of the vine tree, from the kernels even to the husk.

Though Jesus was a Nazarene because He was from Nazareth, He was not a Nazarite. He had not taken the Nazarite vow. This is why He was free to eat and drink the fruit of the vine, hence His statement that He came eating and drinking. When Jesus said He came eating and drinking, He was not saying He drank alcohol, contrary to the modern mindset of today.

The Greek language refutes the suggestion that He was admitting to drinking alcohol because a different world is always used to distinguish a drinker of fermented beverage from a drinker of a pure unfermented beverage such as water or milk. The Greek word Jesus used to describe His drinking is the world ‘pino’… the ordinary word for drink. This is different that the word His enemies use in their false accusations of allegedly drinking alcoholic beverage.

Jesus’ enemies accused Him of being a ‘winebibber’ (a wine drinker). The Greek word used is ‘oinopotes’; from oinos meaning wine, and potes meaning a drinker. When the word oinos is used in Scripture it is in reference to both fermented and unfermented wine; but when it is compounded with potes to produce oinopotes, a wine drinker, it always means a drinker of alcoholic wine.

In Luke’s passage, Jesus refutes the false accusation of Him being a glutton and a wine drinker by saying, “But wisdom is justified of all her children.”

The Greek word translated ‘justified’ is ‘dikaioo’, which primarily means ‘to be deemed to be right.’ Jesus was saying that the accusations that were made by His enemies were false and that He would be vindicated, or shown to be right, by the lives of His Apostles.

When we read the second chapter of Acts, we find that Christ was indeed shown to be right by His Apostles. There, we read that just as Jesus was falsely accused of drinking a fermented beverage, His Apostles also were accused falsely of being drunk on new wine (sweet grape juice). The accusation toward the Apostles was done in mockery because the scoffers knew the Apostles did not drink fermented wine. They knew the new wine did not have the power to intoxicate.

Jesus, the personification of Wisdom, did not drink fermented wine. And He clearly reveals it to His accusers.
[/FONT]

Very good post.

I agree with the verdict that John the Baptist was a Nazarite.
Otherwise, Luke makes no sense.

Upvote 0