✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
gurneyhalleck1 said:
AMDG, there's nothing like an Anglican poster coming into your forum and telling you what Catholicism teaches and trying to correct your "false" notions of the catechism, eh? Someone thinks you need to be schooled!

I'm saying it, too. And I have a Catholic icon.

I wouldn't expect you to agree with the last three popes or the last Catholic Ecumenical Council, or the Catholic Catechism. I mean, if you did, you'd be Catholic!

Honestly, it's a hard teaching to bear, that there is some truth in Islam and that Muslims "have a special relationship with God, similar to Jews". But I try my best to follow it, which isn't always easy, given my Pentecostal/Baptist upbringing.

Upvote 0

facingeast52

Jan 14, 2014
Coast line Gulf of Mexico
✟8,087.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm surprised that folks don't know Catholic history. How Islam tried to capture all of Western Europe and the Pope at the time had people praying the Rosary so that the Muslim invasion would fail.

I'm surprised that there are some folks here that do not know that Muslims invaded Christian Churches and turned them into mosques. I'm surprised that the folks don't even know that the Burial Cloth of Christ (and the Sudarium) had to be hidden from the Muslim hoards lest they destroy them.

I'm surprised that folks here cannot see the bloodshed against our brothers and sisters in Christ and the Christian churches and Jewish synagogues burnings for which the Muslims in the Mideast are responsible.

I am surprised (and so was Scott Hahn) that Muslims find it insulting that we say God is loving.

I am surprised that folks here do not know the beginnings of the Muslim religion. That the Catholic book by Bob and Penny Lord, The Triumph of the Cross note that this is a heresy and describe Mohammed as from a warlike tribe that used the Christian message to further his warlike aims.

I am surprised that some folks here do not seem to know that the Pope was not speaking ex-cathedra and when he is not, we needn't take his words as more than a man of peace who needs to be respected. It is not a matter of salvation.

I am surprised that folks have not noticed that the terrorists happen to be ... Muslims on Jihad.

And I am further surprised that it doesn't seem to be known that we do indeed have professional evangelists--ones that are not about killing folks to make them convert "or else". They instead may travel to foreign countries bringing the Good News of the Gospel, feeding the poor, healing the sick, even living in leper colonies.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yeah I've heard that. Problem is it's true, it's not possible to be gigged for telling the truth is it.

No, it's not true. What is possible is slandering a group within the section of a forum that was designed to be a safe haven for them.

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
No Other Gospel

6 I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— 7 which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God’s curse! 9 As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let them be under God’s curse!

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Define slander.

Gladly.

Straight from Google:

slan•der
/slander/

noun
1. the action or crime of making a false spoken statement damaging a person's reputation.
"He is suing the TV network for slander."

verb
1. make false and damaging statements about (someone).
"they were accused of slandering the head of state."
The emboldened part is of particular relevance.

Everything you said in the post I originally quoted from you, you disparaged the papacy by insisting he served satan. You belligerently, bigotedly labeled Catholicism as idol worship and a "lie" and incorrectly assumed that Catholics are "not" right with Christ by suggesting that they "get right". You managed to slander and demonstrate supreme ignorance of the Catholic Church in a single post.

Now that kind of posting behavior is something I've come to expect in anarchic areas of the forum like General Theology, but saying such things here in One Bread, One Body is in direct violation of the Congregational Forum Rules:

Congregational Forum Restrictions, Christian Only Forums, and Off-Topic posts
Do not teach or debate in any Congregational Forum unless you are truly a member and share its core beliefs and teachings. Questions and fellowship are allowed, proselytizing is not.

Do not post in the forums reserved for Christians only, unless you are truly a Nicene Creed, Trinitarian Christian (please see our Statement of Faith to know exactly what that is). If you wish to discuss unorthodox doctrines, you may do so in Unorthodox Theology.

Respect and become familiar with each forum's Statement of Purpose. Start threads that are relevant to that forum's stated purpose; submit replies that are relevant to the topic of discussion. Off Topic posts will be moved or removed.

Upvote 0
Gladly.

Straight from Google:

The emboldened part is of particular relevance.

Everything you said in the post I originally quoted from you, you disparaged the papacy by insisting he served satan. You belligerently, bigotedly labeled Catholicism as idol worship and a "lie" and incorrectly assumed that Catholics are "not" right with Christ by suggesting that they "get right". You managed to slander and demonstrate supreme ignorance of the Catholic Church in a single post.

Interesting but inaccurate but I'd love to discuss the fine points if you like.

Upvote 0

facingeast52

Jan 14, 2014
Coast line Gulf of Mexico
✟8,087.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
No Other Gospel

6 I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— 7 which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God’s curse! 9 As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let them be under God’s curse!

Amen

:clap:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

Your post is what it is, I'm not interested in debating your theology. I'll go ahead and let the staff sort out the other stuff.

Upvote 0

Im sorry let me clarify in case what I said was confusing. It is not inaccurate that I said those things. It is inaccurate that those things are slander. The things I said are true, if youd like to debate it let me know, otherwise it's not very nice to accuse me of things I did not do. Now there are things you can accurately accuse me of, but not slander. Like you could accuse me of telling the truth, which will still get me in trouble with the moderators but will not be any indication that I am a liar, politically inncorrect maybe.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Im sorry let me clarify in case what I said was confusing. It is not inaccurate that I said those things. It is inaccurate that those things are slander. The things I said are true, if youd like to debate it let me know, otherwise it's not very nice to accuse me of things I did not do. Now there are things you can accurately accuse me of, but not slander. Like you could accuse me of telling the truth, which will still get me in trouble with the moderators but will not be any indication that I am a liar, politically inncorrect maybe.

I would wager the whole of this forum would qualify your comments as slander, though I will not speak on their behalf. What you said is not true, but the product of twisted theology. That being said, I'm not interested in engaging you in a debate - especially not here since this is neither the appropriate time nor the appropriate place for that.

I bid you adieu.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
You seem consumed in attacking the media instead of discussing the issue that our last 3 popes and our last Council have an extremely positive attitude toward Islam. Should Catholics support their popes, the latest Council statements and the latest catechism or not. Isn't that the main subject of this thread?

IMHO, it seem strange to criticize an Anglican who supports the position of the Church, its council, its popes and its catechism. Are you disagreeing with those? You seem to want to criticize an Anglican who posts an opinion and yet think that an Orthoodox who posts an opinion is fine. I am fine with both of you posting your views. But we should be clear when we are differing from the teaching of the Church (You have been clear in the past).

The popes do NOT support the attacks on Christians by Islamists in Egypt and Syria. The popes do not support the Buddhist attacks in the Far East. And the popes do not support the Christian attacks in the CAR.

The popes were commenting on the teachings of Islam, not the activities of terrorist Islamic organizations, or even Muslim nation states like Iran and Saudi Arabia.

You want to focus on where the US press wants you to focus: the violence in Egypt, Iraq and Syria. Our press might consider following the violence in the CAR where a million Muslims are on the run and trying to leave the country, with many cities totally devoid of Muslims. And yes, the US has little interest in violence in Asia.

I agree that the carnage in Iraq is much larger in scope than most other areas. Muslim on Christian violence in Iraq is of course a small part of this carnage. I would think that the carnage in the CAR is similar in scope to that in Egypt and Syria.

Surely you're not implying the EXTREMELY liberal American media is trying to promote an anti-Islamic agenda, right? Because that would be a nutty position to be sure! I've seen the violence of those two Asian countries you reference on the news. But surely, being a somewhat reasonable man, do you really equate the violence going on in those small Asian countries to be ANYWHERE NEAR the carnage and raw violence that has occurred in Syria, Iraq, Egypt, etc.? That would be a really unreasonable stance to take.

Upvote 0
I would wager the whole of this forum would qualify your comments as slander, though I will not speak on their behalf. What you said is not true, but the product of twisted theology. That being said, I'm not interested in engaging you in a debate - especially not here since this is neither the appropriate time nor the appropriate place for that.

I bid you adieu.

Ty

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
snowfam said:
Well, by signing up and posting you agreed to abide by forum rules. If you then don't stick to what you agreed to...

Upvote 0
Well, by signing up and posting you agreed to abide by forum rules. If you then don't stick to what you agreed to...

So what are the forum rules the open peddeling of the doctrine of devils is ok but one cannot speak the truth. Sorry I get my rules from a higer authority and it says to root out evil where you find it and confront it. So here I am.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
snowfam said:
So what are the forum rules the open peddeling of the doctrine of devils is ok but one cannot speak the truth. Sorry I get my rules from a higer authority and it says to root out evil where you find it and confront it. So here I am.
You agreed to abide by a set of rules. Last time I looked, Jesus expected his followers to keep their word.

Upvote 0
You agreed to abide by a set of rules. Last time I looked, Jesus expected his followers to keep their word.

Yes it is a peculiar situation isn't it, I think the courts have torn up those little agreements as pretty deceptive, and I think he meant to keep our word to other people not machines. Cant garuntee im right but I feel pretty good about it, so ima gonna roll wit it.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
snowfam said:
Yes it is a peculiar situation isn't it, I think the courts have torn up those little agreements as pretty deceptive, and I think he meant to keep our word to other people not machines. Cant garuntee im right but I feel pretty good about it, so ima gonna roll wit it.
Oh well, that settles it. Jesus said "go with whatever you feel".

Ur, Hang on,..

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.