Russellville, AR
✟637.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I know, we are humans, but just for the fun of it, I gotta know something...

If you could special order your pastor, what features would you have on him or her and what would their spouse be like?

Let me show you what I mean...

Pastor:
raised poor
not filthy rich
annointed
bi vocational
sickened by money(so s/he won't be greedy)
compassionate
hungry for God
fair
Been through and graduated with honors at the Fort of Hard Knocks
maybe a veteran
Maybe an ex convict (to understand what forgiveness is really about)
humble
like to eat
likes to laugh
likes southern gosple more that contemporary
Drives a vehicle without hubcaps(to prove that he is cool. Only vehicles without hubcaps are cool here in Arkansas)
kind
loving
good with kids
preaches whole truth
preaches about hell and heaven
Spirit filled
doestn' mind going to the nursing home
visits sick and imprisioned
hates the song "Amazing Grace"
Wont play/sing "Just as I am" during altar call.
believes in female ministry
dislikes missionaries(optional)
Refuses to sing all 6 verses of "A Beautiful Life"

Spouse:
Same as above
tag team preaches with spouse

Brandlynn

Nov 13, 2010
Russellville, AR
✟637.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I looked at your list and there are a few things I agree with. I know several lovely pastors who 'hear God and are anointed etc,' yes, they are used by the Lord in many ways but we should not expect our Pastors to be perfect.

:doh::doh::doh:I know that. It was just for the fun of it. :doh::doh::doh:

Upvote 0

Brandlynn

Nov 13, 2010
Russellville, AR
✟637.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Like what. You must be one of those blab it a grab it people. A minister friend told me once that if you don't have problems, then there is something wrong with you. If satan is not attacking you, then he has you. The above things in the OP are things that every normal human should do. Sounds kinda like you want a prideful, rich snobby, stuck up, too good for anything pastor like Joel Osteen. The OP refered to a pastor whose main transportation is not a jet plane. What is wrong with a pastor who loves kids, likes to eat, is not sexist in the pulpit, doesn't show off his money, basically because he actually gets out and gets a real job, who like to eat and fellowship with the lay people, who has maybe been through somethings in his life to get the true definition of forgiveness, not too good to go visit those in the nursing homes, likes to sing encouraging songs, but not those that are rocked out, a pastor who is a Spirit Filled individual, loyal to their own people, compassionate, reasonable, preaches the whole truth, healing, the rapture of the church, the forgiveness of sins, the Holy Ghost with the evidence of Speaking in other tongues. That is not an unreasonable request for a pastor. While yes, the hubcap thing was kinda funny to me because I lost one of my own, the rest is all very serious.

Upvote 0

Brandlynn

Nov 13, 2010
Russellville, AR
✟637.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And you don't know me, either. I don't need your prayers. I am the one that started this thread just for the fun of it. You are the one who cant loosen up and take a chill pill. Nobody needs prayers from someone such as yourself. You are so uptight that if someone popped you in the rear with a bean flip, you would be yelping like a dog for two years. So until you do know me, Quit assuming things about me and my sense of humor.
At least I can loosen up a bit and ask hypothetical questions just for the fun of it. So until you do know me and know what I have been through in my life and know the crap that I have put up with from people such as yourself, then dont even think about posting in this thread again. Until you can maintain the general attitude of the thread, then I do wish you would go give some other flag pole your mess. Donn't mess on this one.

Look at JEBrady. That is a perfectly acceptable answer. He did not attack it like he has no other life. (Sorry, JE if you are a woman.)He spoke the truth without dogpiling the question and putting down the one that started the thread. His answer is so true. Not sarcastic. Not hateful. But yet courteous of the one that posted it and it answered the question too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just a couple questions - some tongue in cheek, some partially serious so i can get to understand you better.

Pastor:

raised poor
Just poor, or dirt poor. has he ever had money that he would know how to manage the finaces of a church?

not filthy rich
Just dirty rich OK? how did this poor person get rich?

annointed
That's a given.
bi vocational
Do you expect this married man to work two full time jobs?

sickened by money(so s/he won't be greedy)
Will he puke during the offeratory?

compassionate
hungry for God
fair
How do you measure that?

Been through and graduated with honors at the Fort of Hard Knocks
Just don't even know what that means??

maybe a veteran
no comment - I'd just get myself in trouble.

Maybe an ex convict (to understand what forgiveness is really about)
How about a rapist? He'd really know about forgiveness? I don't understand how someone could even bring that up as an attribute!

humble

like to eat
As opposed to anorexic?

likes to laugh

likes southern gosple more that contemporary
Drives a vehicle without hubcaps(to prove that he is cool. Only vehicles without hubcaps are cool here in Arkansas)

kind
loving
good with kids
preaches whole truth
preaches about hell and heaven
Spirit filled
doestn' mind going to the nursing home
visits sick and imprisioned
hates the song "Amazing Grace"
Wont play/sing "Just as I am" during altar call.
believes in female ministry
dislikes missionaries(optional)
Refuses to sing all 6 verses of "A Beautiful Life"

Spouse:
Same as above
tag team preaches with spouse

Ok, I'll stop there before I get into trouble

but thanks for the laugh! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Brandlynn

Nov 13, 2010
Russellville, AR
✟637.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The pastor that we are sitting under is an ex convict. He and his wife both have a history of drugs abuse and alcohol abuse. What. You don't think that God will call a person who has been in prison before? If the denomination does not care about their past that they are ordained with, then why should anyone else?

And Yes, a pastor that works a full time job and that does not bum off the church is a very good atribute to have in a pastor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Brandlynn

Nov 13, 2010
Russellville, AR
✟637.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
the one God chooses to put me under as part of their flock to learn from them

cos God knows best

Good point. We will end up where we end up, and God will have His way reguardless of the pastors past, present or future. I like you, FoundInGrace. Good answer.:hug:

Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Interesting.

"Fun" as this thread may be, did you notice that 3 of your top 5 criteria (60%) for a pastor had to do with his money (or lack thereof)? You were even more concerned that he was "raised poor" (your first list item) than whether he was "anointed" (clocking in the list at number 3).

I'm not saying for certain, but perhaps you're focusing too much on other people's money. Maybe.

:cool:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Bible answers the OP's question for us;
1 Timothy 3:1-12 (NIV)
Here is a trustworthy saying: Whoever aspires to be an overseer desires a noble task. Now the overseer is to be above reproach, faithful to his wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, not given to drunkenness, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money. He must manage his own family well and see that his children obey him, and he must do so in a manner worthy of full respect. (If anyone does not know how to manage his own family, how can he take care of God’s church?) He must not be a recent convert, or he may become conceited and fall under the same judgment as the devil. He must also have a good reputation with outsiders, so that he will not fall into disgrace and into the devil’s trap.

In the same way, deacons are to be worthy of respect, sincere, not indulging in much wine, and not pursuing dishonest gain. They must keep hold of the deep truths of the faith with a clear conscience. They must first be tested; and then if there is nothing against them, let them serve as deacons.

In the same way, the women are to be worthy of respect, not malicious talkers but temperate and trustworthy in everything.

A deacon must be faithful to his wife and must manage his children and his household well. Those who have served well gain an excellent standing and great assurance in their faith in Christ Jesus.
:cool:

Upvote 0

Mixolydian

Lord I believe; help my unbelief.
Oct 7, 2008
Kansas
✟11,433.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
No such thing as a perfect pastor, but a very good one would live out the two commandmants of Jesus and lead others in doing so.

He (or she!) would have to have a lot of patience, kindness and love and a heart that is not easily offended. Traits we should all strive to have.

Upvote 0