Great quotes that will drive you to tell others the Gospel.

1Tonne

Dec 2, 2021
Taranaki
✟81,681.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have been collecting a few quotes over the last couple of years that are really good quotes for either sharing the Gospel, about the Gospel or they have something to do with repentance.
Please feel free to add to the list by making a post.

The great commission is not an option to be considered. It is a command to be obeyed. Hudson Taylor

We shall have all eternity to celebrate our victories, but we have only one swift hour before the sun sets in which to win them. Robert Moffatt

If their houses were on fire, you would run and help them. And will you not help them when their souls are almost at the fire of hell Richard Baxter

It has always been difficult to understand those evangelical Christians who…say they serve the Lord, but they divide their days as to leave plenty of time to play and relax and enjoy the pleasures of this world. They are at ease while the world burns. A. W. Tozer

The world is not so much hardened to the gospel as it is ignorant of the Gospel. Because the gospel is not being preached. Paul Washer

Being an extrovert isn’t essential to evangelism. Obedience and Love are.

Evangelism should not be measured by the counting of conversions, but by the proclamation of the Gospel.

Jesus died for sinners. Cannot we live for them? Charles Spurgeon

The early disciples were fishers of men. While Modern disciples are often little more than aquarium keepers.

We talk of the second coming; half the world has never heard of the first. Oswald J Smith

It is a sad testimony to our lack of love that we had to be commanded to preach the Gospel to every creature. Ray Comfort

If sinners be damned, at least let them leap to Hell over our dead bodies. And if they perish, let them perish with our arms wrapped about their knees, imploring them to stay. If Hell must be filled, let it be filled in the teeth of our exertions, and let not one go unwarned and unprayed for. Charles Spurgeon

The greatest sound of praise is the sound of feet taking the Gospel to the lost.

If your Gospel isn’t touching others, it hasn’t touched you.

Churches that have lost their heart for evangelism are living out their last chapter. Anthony G Pappas

The only alternative to soulwinning is disobedience to God. Curtis Hutson

“We are saved by faith and grace alone, but we will be judged by works” John Mcarthur

To evangelise, does not mean to win converts. But simply to announce the Good News irrespective of the results. John Stott

If you downplay the radical depravity of man, then you downplay the Glory of the Gospel. Paul Washer

If you are fearful to share your faith, don’t pray for less fear, pray for more love. Ray Comfort

Preaching that downplays Gods wrath does not enhance true evangelism, it undermines it. John Mcarthur

Repentance is not a work. It is a change of the heart. A change of the mind. Just like faith has works or it is dead, so too repentance has works. Bringing forth fruit worthy of repentance. So, if you have truly repented, then your emotions, your actions, your will, everything will change. Paul Washer

"Doctor. You are too delicate to tell the man that he is ill. You hope to heal the sick without their knowing it. You therefore flatter them. Your delicacy is cruelty, your flatteries are poisons you are a murderer. Shall we keep men in a fool's paradise? Shall we lull them into soft slumber from which they will awake in hell? Are we to become helpers of their damnation by our smooth speeches? In the name of God we will not." Charles Spurgeon

The Gospel is not something to be hoarded. But rather something to be shared Ray Comfort

Have you no wish for others to be saved? Then you’re not saved yourself. Be sure of that! Charles Spurgeon

Lower the Law and you dim the light by which man perceives his guilt; this lessens the likelihood of his conviction and conversion. If you set the law aside, you deprive the gospel of its most powerful weapon; that is the rebuke that brings men to Christ. Therefore, the Law serves a most necessary purpose, and it must not be removed from its place. Charles Spurgeon

The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who proclaim it. George Orwell

Judge not unless you be judged. Twist not the scripture lest ye be like satin.

You are willing to save yourself, but you do not love your neighbour enough to warn him of Gods wrath to come. Instead, you bless him with acts of kindness. If he joins the fellowship, what was his reasoning? Friendship or has he come under the grace of God?

“Your testimony is not the Gospel.” R. C. Sproul

The highest service that men may attain to on earth is to preach the word of God. John Wycliffe

“Evermore the Law must prepare the way for the gospel. To overlook this in instructing souls is almost certain to result in false hope, the introduction of a false standard of Christian experience, and to fill the church with false converts.” Charles Finny

If there is no sorrow in a person after you have told them the Gospel, it is because of the lack of knowledge as to God’s law.

As pastors, we encouraged our people, we didn’t equip them. The Five Fold Ministries job is to equip the saints. Not to pamper them. We were so happy that we had a crowd that we forgot that we have an assignment to raise an army.

"I’ve always said that I don’t respect people who don’t proselytize. I don’t respect that at all. If you believe that there’s a heaven and a hell, and people could be going to hell or not getting eternal life, and you think that it’s not really worth telling them this because it would make it socially awkward—and atheists who think people shouldn’t proselytize and who say just leave me along and keep your religion to yourself—how much do you have to hate somebody to not proselytize? How much do you have to hate somebody to believe everlasting life is possible and not tell them that? I mean, if I believed, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that a truck was coming at you, and you didn’t believe that truck was bearing down on you, there is a certain point where I tackle you. And this is more important than that.” Penn Jillette

If you know of everlasting life, and you know of everlasting death, how much do you have to hate somebody to not tell them of it? Penn Jillette (Altered)

Could a mariner sit idle if he heard the drowning cry? Could a doctor sit in comfort and just let his patients die? Could a fireman sit idle, let men burn and give no hand? Can you sit at ease in Zion with the world around you damned?” Leonard Ravenhill

It is easier to denature plutonium than it is to denature the evil spirit of man. Only God can change the evil spirit in man. He can take a hateful heart and replace it with love. That is the fruit of genuine conversion. Ray Comfort.

The Law produces terror but the Cross produces contrition. Ray Comfort

Churches need to be warned. Your activity not only reflects upon you. It reflects upon God. So, if you are in the world, stop it. If you are living for yourself; cease and turn back to Him in repentance and faith. Paul Washer

Logging truck analogy

If I was to say that on my way here, I stood on the road was hit by a logging truck doing 100 miles an hour, you would say, “That’s absolutely absurd. It is impossible to have an encounter with something as large as a logging truck and not be changed."
And then my question would be to you what is larger, a logging truck or God.
How is it that so many people today profess to have had an encounter with Jesus Christ and yet they are not permanently changed. Paul Washer

Pioneer3mm

Site Supporter
Aug 12, 2018
North America
✟551,411.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
half the world has never heard of the first. Oswald J Smith
Good quote..
---
Another quote..from Oswald J Smith
"The supreme task of the Church is the evangelization of the world.
No one has the right to hear the Gospel twice until everyone has had
an opportunity to hear at least once."

Reactions: 1Tonne
Upvote 0

David Hunter

Be passionate about pursuing your purpose in life.
Site Supporter
Sep 14, 2015
Cleveland, Ohio
Visit site
✟336,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for sharing!!!

Here's another by Ray Comfort, "Would I be more zealous for money than I would be for God?" "Could you deal with your fear of man 'problem' for the love of money when you can't deal with it for the love of God?"

Upvote 0

1Tonne

Dec 2, 2021
Taranaki
✟81,681.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for sharing!!!

Here's another by Ray Comfort, "Would I be more zealous for money than I would be for God?" "Could you deal with your fear of man 'problem' for the love of money when you can't deal with it for the love of God?"
I have heard a sermon where he said something similar.
He asked something like this. "If I were to pay you $100 for every person you spoke the Gospel to, how many people would you tell the Gospel? Now, why does money motivate you to tell the Gospel but your love for God does not?" (Not the exact quote)

Reactions: David Hunter
Upvote 0

1Tonne

Dec 2, 2021
Taranaki
✟81,681.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
“Every song has a composer, every book has an author, every car has a maker, every painting has a painter, and every building has a builder. So it isn't irrational to take this simple logic a little further and say that nature must have had a Maker. It would be irrational to believe that it made itself.” Ray Comfort

Upvote 0

1Tonne

Dec 2, 2021
Taranaki
✟81,681.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you have cried, “For me He dies”? Horror mingled with unspeakable gratitude will drive you to your knees, and you will whisper, “Oh, God, because You did that for me, I will do anything for You!” This zeal for God will produce in you a zeal for the lost. Ray Comfort (Altered a little to shorten the quote)

We need to pray for our nation like never before, and then put legs to our prayers and preach the gospel. To pray for the lost and at the same time ignore that command to preach the gospel to every creature, is nothing but empty hypocrisy. It is to honor God with our lips and have cold hearts that are far from Him. May He give us a love that moves us from the pews into the streets, and from our homes into our universities. God save us from the cozy comfort of lukewarm contemporary Christianity. Ray Comfort

The friendly preacher who fails to warn of the reality of Hell, betrays the Son of God with a kiss. Ray Comfort

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OldAbramBrown

Jul 4, 2023
England
✟22,720.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
... The greatest sound of praise is the sound of feet taking the Gospel to the lost.

If your Gospel isn’t touching others, it hasn’t touched you.

Churches that have lost their heart for evangelism are living out their last chapter. Anthony G Pappas

“We are saved by faith and grace alone, but we will be judged by works” John Mcarthur
Good ones from JMcA and AGP. The five main areas of works are surely meant.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
1691530766615.png

"Faith comes from hearing,
and hearing by the word of Christ"
Romans 10:17

Upvote 0

1Tonne

Dec 2, 2021
Taranaki
✟81,681.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That makes me think of a TV programme back in the 70's called "Days of our lives". The quote you have could be altered to include a saying that was at the start of the programme. It spoke of our lives as being like sand going through an hourglass. So, our time is short and running out.
So here would be the altered quote:
Like sand through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives. But don't let the sands of time get into the eye of your vision to reach the those who sit in darkness. They simply must hear."

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I must say that I would have never thought to connect the two, Missionary Jim Elliot and the "Days of Our Lives" soap opera, that is, but, "sands of time", "days of our lives", "darkness", it works, oddly ;)

I love one of his other quotes as well (his most famous one), but I'm guess'n that Days of Our Lives probably hasn't used that one (what is underlined below in red/bracketed in green).

Jim Elliot - He Is No Fool - JPEG.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
“If there existed only one man or woman who did not love the Saviour, and if that person lived among the wilds of Siberia, and if it were necessary that all the millions of believers on the face of the earth should journey there, and every one of them plead with him to come to Jesus before he could be converted, it would be well worth all the zeal, labour, and expense.

If we had to preach to thousands year after year, and never rescued but one soul, that one soul would be full reward for all our labour, for a soul is of countless price.”
~Pastor Charles H. Spurgeon

Last edited:
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Saying, "preach the Gospel daily, use words if necessary" is like saying "feed the hungry daily, use food if necessary" ~Theologian/Pastor Ligon Duncan

--David

"Faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ"
~Romans 10:17~

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 5
14 'You' are the light of the world..........................

I find this particular statement to us from ~the~ Light of the world (e.g. John 8:12) to be exceedingly humbling and compelling, and a reminder of principal reason that He left us here :)

--David
p.s. - Kari Jobe has some interesting things to say about this in her song, "We Are". If you'd like to listen to it, here it is.

Upvote 0

1Tonne

Dec 2, 2021
Taranaki
✟81,681.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
feed the hungry daily, use food if necessary
That one makes me so angry. I can understand the idea but if you take it literally, then people simple do not say the Gospel. Many churches are based on this type of thinking.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I thought that it might be useful to add the entire passage (from The Sermon on the Mount) in case anyone would like to have it here to read (in conjunction with post #14 above).

Matthew 5
13 “You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt has become tasteless, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled under foot by men.
14 You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden;
15 nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house.

16 Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.”

--David
p.s. - finally, the lyrics to "We Are" can be found here.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
That one makes me so angry. I can understand the idea but if you take it literally, then people simple do not say the Gospel. Many churches are based on this type of thinking.
St. Francis of Assisi has been credited with the original quote (“Preach the Gospel at all times. Use words if necessary”), but history has proven that this is not true (as there is no record of him saying anything like that, and his life as a tireless, itinerant preacher, tells us otherwise, as well).

Here is a short, interesting article from a Catholic publication about the famous "quote" above, and why they believe that St. Francis never said it or meant it.
~What St. Francis of Assisi Didn’t Actually Say

--David

Upvote 0

1Tonne

Dec 2, 2021
Taranaki
✟81,681.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"The church today lacks this. The Holy Spirit descended as a tongue. It is the Spirit that transforms our tongues. Those that couldn’t talk became preachers. The disciples received a message. They received power, clarity and boldness and they started preaching the Gospel." Brother Yun

I like this quote. It reminds me about Act 1:8, which tells us why the Holy Spirit was given. It was given so would be His witnesses throughout the end of the earth. So, those that have His spirit, will have a boldness and a clarity to tell the Good News. In Acts 2, in the upper room, He even gave them such a clarity, that people from other nations where able to understand them.

And another quote:

"Think lightly of hell and you will think lightly of the cross." Charles Spurgeon

There are a couple of other things that we can think lightly of that will belittle the cross too. Think lightly of our sin, the wrath of God, the fear of God. There is probably more that I have not thought of.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello again 1Tonne, I agree, as I was deceived by it myself for quite some time.

When I first read the quote I thought, WOW, so all I need to do is be nice, considerate, helpful, etc., hopefully demonstrating some of the fruit of the Spirit to others, as well, and my job as a Christian is done (and that without ever needing to say anything about the Gospel) :oldthumbsup::oldthumbsup:

The thing is, I was raised by a severe alcoholic (my father), so "people pleasing" became something of a second nature to me (something that I still have to push back against today, in fact, as it continues to rear its ugly head in my life).

Quite frankly, I think that most of us would bypass telling others why they need a Savior if we could (there's nothing more fun than knowing that you are most likely about to ruin someone's day, and that you will, no doubt, receive abuse from them for doing so ;)), so as you can imagine, being told that there was another/better way to be a Christian and share the Gospel, w/o ever using words to do so, was truly music to my ears, especially as a people pleaser.

So, I am VERY thankful to Ligon for his very helpful quote (and like you, I am angry, both at the deception itself, and by the fact that I fell for it, even for a short time).

That said, we do need to "act" like Christians, of course, by we must always do so with words as well, speaking the truth to others, in love.

God bless you!!

--David

Romans 10
13 “WHOSOEVER WILL CALL ON THE NAME OF THE LORD WILL BE SAVED.”
14 How then will they call on Him in whom they have not believed? How will they believe in Him whom they have not heard? And how will they hear without a preacher?
15 How will they preach unless they are sent? Just as it is written, “HOW BEAUTIFUL ARE THE FEET OF THOSE WHO BRING GOOD NEWS OF GOOD THINGS!
17 Faith comes from ~hearing~, and hearing by the word of Christ.

Last edited:
Upvote 0